Deer meat numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer meat numbers

Having shot only does (relatively small ones at that) I haven't ever experienced a big score of meat. Coupled with butchering and processing the meat at home from my first 3 deer I ended up with just a few meals per deer that I shared with my 2 roommates.

I shot a doe last weekend that is the biggest deer I've shot to date and i butchered it myself (skinned, quartered, deboned). I kept the back straps but I took the rest to a wild game processor to be ground into burger. It came out to be 34 pounds of meat without the straps. How much meat do you come away with from each deer? I forgot to get a look at her teeth to try and guess an age or weigh her before processing but I'm in pretty good shape and I had a very hard time dragging her back to the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im not sure, but if you did everything you say you did, you paid the butcher to do the easiest part of all the processing. If just making burger, a grinder is a great investment.

Comment

I do it all myself, 25-38lbs, 38 being the most. I do not add any fat to my ground meat, I just put a slash of olive oil in the pan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I shot a doe on opening weekend that dressed 68lbs. I got about 27 pounds of meat off of her.

Comment

I grind up my own deer, everything but blackstrap and tenderloins. 25-35 lbs. sounds about right. I mostly make sausage and always mix mine with pork or brisket. So comes out with more.
          Last edited by crawdaddct; 10-10-2017, 12:20 PM.

Comment

On average I would say 30-50lb of meat depending on the size of the animal.. I shot my biggest buck to date last season that was over 200 pounds live weight. Ended up getting 62 lb of deboned meat off of him..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have 20% brisket cap ground into my burger. I don't have the whole animal ground into burger. I usually do 50% burger, 25% pan, 25% link. I keep straps and tenders. Does cost me about $150-$175 bucks about $210-$230 with only field dressing. It is cheaper to skin and quarter. I think I get around 30-40 lbs of ground meat.

Comment

I would say 30%-40% of live weight would be a safe assumption. If you just want burger, invest in a grinder and do it yourself. If you want to increase your yield- take the neck meat, flank, rib meat, etc. to throw in the grinder as well.

Comment

Originally posted by dhillis View Post
                  Im not sure, but if you did everything you say you did, you paid the butcher to do the easiest part of all the processing. If just making burger, a grinder is a great investment.
                  This! We always have processor processed and home processed venison in our freezers. My favorite to cook with is the home processed hamburger ground. I'm very particular with my processing, and my goal each season is to end with a couple of deer from a processor and a couple that I do at home.

I don't add fat to my own that I process at home. I do some on one pass through the grinder for course ground chili meat. I'll then do some on a second pass on a smaller diameter grinder plate for hamburger ground. That hamburger ground is some of the absolute best taco/burrito meat on the planet. The extra fine ground gets really small when you brown it and it soaks up seasoning like nobody's business.

So, I'd highly suggest an investment in a grinder. Start small and work your way up as you feel you need to in the future. No reason to break the bank when you're starting out on the biggest, baddest grinder they make.

Comment

Taking the neck meat and adding 10% pork/brisket will increase the yield.

Comment

I am not sure I have ever weighed all the meat in all the years that we process off each deer / hog, but I will next time and post back the exact weight of animal field dressed, then the exact amount of meet processed.
                      We process all our on deer and hogs. We have a grinder, stuffer, jerky shoot and tenderizer. You pay for the grinder and accessories investments after your 5th deer that you would have normally took to the processor and get a normal / basic process.
                      Great question though.

Rwc

Comment

Side note on dragging deer through the brush:

Get a ski rope and cut it to about 6' long or so. Tie a good carabiner to the end of it. Wrap it around the deer's neck or back legs and clip the carabiner back to the rope. Makes dragging MUCH easier.

Comment

Well I said 38 being the most, I pack in about 1.3 pounds in my ground meat bags. So there's a margin of error and I also don't weigh exactly so I just assume. I processed my girlfriends spike last night and ended up with 19 (1.3lbs ish) bags of ground and i also saved about a 3 or 4 lb roast along with probably 8-10 pounds between the back straps. So maybe my numbers from my previous post were way off as this was a first year spike (her first with a bow). My assumption of 38 being the most is probably closer to 45 or more. I'll try to remember to weigh the meat next time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I dont ever weigh it either, but a good size doe from the opener yielded 15 - 1.5lb packs of straight venison burger and the backstraps and tenderloins were kept whole and separate.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I love ground venison in all forms but man yall are grinding a ton of great cuts from the hind quarters in my opinion. That being said I believe the deboned meat is somewhere around 30-40% of live weight, could be more if trim and rib meat along with heart and liver are retained.

Comment

Working...
                              X