PVC tubes for ice chests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PVC tubes for ice chests

I watch a bunch of YouTube, yeah I know Lots of good info on there and some you just shake your head at.

One that intrigued me is what they call Polar Bear Tubes, Frozen Grenades etc. Basically they are PVC pipe in different diameters filled with water, end caps on both sides then frozen.

You make them the size you want on your ice chests/coolers needs. Make sure you leave room for expansion as most of the videos say only fill 3/4 of a way before you place your second end cap.

The saltwater regular vs. regular water debate is here also. One guy made a cool video (get it cool never mind) testing that theory. He took two identical thawed steaks. Placed them in the same cooler. Placed a frozen water bottle over one the other a frozen water bottle with ICE.

The regular water over steak was cold. The salt water over steak was FROZEN. Both steaks were left for 5 hours. I am thinking of trying it out. Not much too lose and more to gain. So long as you have a deep freeze you might have enough room.

Google pvc tunes and look them up on YouTube tell me what you think.

We knew there had to be a better way for keeping the drinks and food cold. This DIY reusable ice packs for coolers idea is just what we needed to do it...

Imagine your enjoying a nice day outside under your RV awning when tragedy strikes, you are out of ice. Is there anything more annoying and inconvenient than making an ice run to the store or running inside every time you need a refreshment? Considering there is even room in your refrigerator. We knew there had to be a better way for keeping the drinks, food, and fresh caught fish cool when it is warm out. Our search brought us to a reusable ice packs for coolers idea that is so simple you will wonder why you didn’t think of it. This idea comes from a guy named Bill Shelton who runs a unique business selling fishing tackle equipment. He always found it a struggle to get ice to keep his freshly caught fish on. Instead of spending his hard earned cash on reusable ice packs for coolers he decided to make his own. He created what he calls the “Polar Bear Tubes”.

I use frozen 2 liter soda-pop bottles all the time, with fresh water. What I like most is: once a bottle "melts" (takes forever), you have fresh water for cooking and drinking before making an "ice run".

Just an alternative thought to buying pvc. But I'm sure the frozen PVC would last a bit longer being it has thicker wall material than the 2 liter bottles. (But might be hard to drink out of. )

Comment

He took two identical thawed steaks. Placed them in the same cooler. Placed a frozen water bottle over one the other a frozen water bottle with ICE.

I'm confused as hell. Is there such a thing as a frozen water bottle without ice?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
        I use frozen 2 liter soda-pop bottles all the time, with fresh water. What I like most is: once a bottle "melts" (takes forever), you have fresh water for cooking and drinking before making an "ice run".

Just an alternative thought to buying pvc. But I'm sure the frozen PVC would last a bit longer being it has thicker wall material than the 2 liter bottles. (But might be hard to drink out of. )
        I use frozen bottled water (12 oz size). I just mix them in with the other bottled water and whatever else I have in the cooler. Keeps things cold, and then you can drink them after a couple days when they're melted enough to drink and you've gone through most of the other bottled water.

Comment

Originally posted by bowtecmike View Post
          He took two identical thawed steaks. Placed them in the same cooler. Placed a frozen water bottle over one the other a frozen water bottle with ICE.

I'm confused as hell. Is there such a thing as a frozen water bottle without ice?

lmao I messed up. Ok two thawed steaks, same cooler. One steak had a frozen water bottle. The second steak had a frozen bottle where ice had been dissolved into the water, hence salt water=frozen.

The bottle which had the salt water froze the steak. The other without the salt water bottle did not freeze the steak.

Comment

Interesting. I also use juice,water and even clothes detergent bottles frozen solid. I like to see if pvc stuff lasted longer

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
              lmao I messed up. Ok two thawed steaks, same cooler. One steak had a frozen water bottle. The second steak had a frozen bottle where ice had been dissolved into the water, hence salt water=frozen.

The bottle which had the salt water froze the steak. The other without the salt water bottle did not freeze the steak.
              LOL I think you missed it again. “Water where ice had been dissolved into water” be...water? I think we followed that you meant salt dissolved into the water. How
              Much salt do you put into the water?

Comment

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
                LOL I think you missed it again. “Water where ice had been dissolved into water” be...water? I think we followed that you meant salt dissolved into the water. How
                Much salt do you put into the water?
                If you dissolve ice into water before freezing it will actually create salt on the outside of the container.

It's science.

Comment

Gatorade jugs are much tougher and last longer due to their thickness. I use them all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    Gatorade jugs are much tougher and last longer due to their thickness. I use them all the time.
                    This is what I use also. The 16 or 20 oz size.

Comment

If you dissolve ice into water before freezing it will actually create salt on the outside of the container.
                      The only way that you would get salt by dissolving ice into water before freezing is if the ice or the water had salt in it.

Comment

doah

Originally posted by bowtecmike View Post
                        He took two identical thawed steaks. Placed them in the same cooler. Placed a frozen water bottle over one the other a frozen water bottle with IC

i thought i was the only one

Comment

I generally just freeze regular bottles. I have one freezer that is basically an assortment of different frozen bottles (sizes, shapes, etc.)

I freeze everything from regular drinking water bottles, orange juice jugs, half gallon plastic whiskey bottles, 2 liter coke bottles, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post

It's science.
                            Huh???

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                              I use frozen bottled water (12 oz size). I just mix them in with the other bottled water and whatever else I have in the cooler. Keeps things cold, and then you can drink them after a couple days when they're melted enough to drink and you've gone through most of the other bottled water.
                              This is what I do along with Gatoraid bottles. Keep about a half dozen of each in the freezer and throw a few of each in a cooler when I'm packing it.

Comment

Working...
                              X