Target/Backstop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Target/Backstop

This topic came up in the forum the other day. My wife had taken pics of this, so i thought i would post the process.

finished product first so you don't have to wait if it's not what you like
    Click image for larger version

Name:	pigpic.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	24720385

the hardest part of this project is finding enough and the right size cardboard boxs.
    mine where 42X48 (give or take), when flattend out. 42 is one because that's how wide the target is.

Materials

2-- landscape Timbers 8.00
    2-- 2x8x8 treated 14.00
    8-- 3/8 x 3 1/2 lag bolts 4.00
    8-- 3/8 washers 1.00
    1-- bad quickcrete 4.00
    2-- 1x3 whitepine 6.00
    ____
    37.00+ tax

Tools

screwgun
    ratchet & 3/8 socket
    drill
    circular saw
    posthole diggers
    beer

1st
    collect about 50 boxes really only neeed 30-35 with the size i found. but the xtra waits for replaceing the shotup cardboard.
    a bandsaw made it easier but a jigsaw or circular saw would do it also.

cut cardboard. cut 8"w strips. i got 5 strips from each box.

Name:	axis.jpg
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	24720386

did not get a picture of the frame being built, but basically i cut 1- 2x8x8 @ 45" and the other in half.
    the 45" pieces would be the top and bottom of the holder. 42" + 3" due to the 2 side thicknesses.
    the 48"pieces are the sides.

i wanted the center of the target about center of deer height.
    on the landscape timbers i marked lines --18" for the hole then added 12" for the bottom shelf.
    on the flat side of the timbers i screwed on the 48" 2x8 to each one. then took the 42" pieces and put them top and bottom.(top and bottom pices butt up to the timbers) drilled holes for the screws and then checked squareness and put the screws in.
    measured the width from timber to timber and marked where the holes would go with spray paint, then dug, and placed in hole.

Name:	Chair1resized.jpg
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	23819593

top piece of wood is because i wanted a roof so it would not ruin in the rain.
    had a 12 foot piece of tin and 4- 2x4x8. went and bought the brackets. they bite. flimsie
    probably another $25 in total cost.
    cut the 1x3's so as too picture frame the front and back of the box area. screw to 2x4's. this keeps the cardboard from shifting when removing arrows.
    BUT DO NOT SCREW TOP ONES yet.

after filling in and leveling. remove the screws holding the top and remove.
    now you can start stacking in the cut cardboard.

Name:	buffbuck2.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	23819594

stack cardboard till it's an 1" or 2" above the side 2x8's and place the top 2x8 on. run a couple of ratchet straps arouund and compress.

i should have put a hat on and pulled my shorts up.

while the straps are tight, screw in the top four bolts with washers.

that's about it, just make sure the roof edge is above your head height.

at the time of building, i was shooting 70lb pull on a Q2. at 3 steps back, it stopped a 30" carbon arrow 3-4" before the Blazers. with broadheads at 20-30 yards. about 8" sticks out the back side.
    i also put 2 eye lag screws in the top corners to hold the target pillow bag.
    hope this interests someone.

That's a neat looking backstop. Good job!

Comment

I really like it. Did you keep the cardboard 8" wide because of the 2X8's, or because you could get 5 pieces out of one box? Approximately how long does the cardboard last in the high stuck parts? I'm sure I will be sending you a couple of PM's when I go to build mine......looks nice though. Does the roof keep the CB dry for the most part?

Thx,
      SS

Comment

Looks good Steve. I still have your hat in my garage and it looks like you need it. Please cover that head up before you take anymore pics. Maybe one day you can invite me over to see how many arrows that thing will take before we can destroy it.

Comment

SupaSlam-- 8"wide worked out both ways, because of the 2x8 and cuts per box. i figured it couldn't move around if it's wedged tight. doesn't move because of the shooting part, it's the removeing arrows part. when you get the thing full you kinda have to make a call on how many slates to go above the frame, so that compressing is tight and snug.
          as far as holding up to shooting, better than i thought. i'm guessing that it being compressed is helping it stay tight.
          it's not any good for tweaking your broadheads due too haveing to take them off to pull the arrow back out.
          i still shoot field tips at that pillow bag, just cause it's easier to remove them.
          it's been through a flood, the bottom 4" of cardboard soaked. the roof works well, Woodlands, Conroe area has had ALOT of rain since October when it was built. 2 foot overhang on each side.
          PM me if you need answeres. i'll even take a close up pic of an area if you need it.
          if you want a good drafting program FREE go to www.gogglesketchup.com and download sketchup 6.0 free version. cool program

Ryan-- you've have an open invite. maybe after Time change if there's still daylight left with the overtime you pull, you can stop by on your way to the house and shoot some. i'll wear a hat ! hairs longer now but still only brushed in on top.

Comment

Steve,

I appreciate the info and reply, and will deffinitely check out that site you posted. Once again, it's a great looking setup.

TC,
            SS

Comment

i might have to try this

Comment

I made one

I made one of these (actually my friend did most of the work and I helped). We moved into the city so I needed one and it turned out great. I made my roof a little different. Unfortunately, I made a poor choice for roof material (not to mention I failed to secure it as well as I should have) and the wind messed it up. Oh well, I'll have to redo the roof with some tin in the next week or two. Here's what it looked like before the piece broke off:
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks good.
                  watch out for repetitive use of one location, no pass thru's but i have buried to the fletchings now with a years worth of use. That brick wall could use a piece of plywood so you don't splinter a carbon shaft if it happens.

Comment

forgot that i had cleaned out my attachments thinking i was saving server space. case of the DA's solved.

Name:	frame25%.jpg
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	23831814

Name:	putting together2.jpg
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	23831815

Name:	strapped 2.jpg
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	23831816

Name:	finished target2.jpg
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	23831817

Comment

Awesome, need to build one like that for my backyard, so I don't keep making the neighbors mad.

Comment

great job,i should build one of those.

Comment

Done

Well, I fixed the roof using the same material but this time I secured it better. Here it is:
                          Attached Files

Comment

Great Idea.

Comment

BTW Steve,

I never did thank you for posting this. If you hadn't I'd be out a fortune in indoor range fees. Thanks.

Pablo

Comment

Working...
                              X