No announcement yet.

Life After Lonesome Dove...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can not believe you're just now watching this! I raised watching this movie...in fact my parents used many lines from the movie to teach me lessons..."ride with the outlaws; die with the outlaws" and "I hate rude behavior in a man; won't tolerate it".

I just re-watch it...pretty sure it only gets better.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      Movie was made on our deer lease on the Moody Ranch South of Del Rio... We had to move some of our stands/feeders so they wouldn't be in the movie sets... Where the snake episode happened was actually in Sycamore Creek right beside our camp... If the camera had panned to the right about 1 more degree, our camp would have been in view...
      Where Woodrow buried Gus is also on Sycamore Creek and one of my all time favorite turkey hunting spots... Got pics of my kids when they were little sitting on the porch of Lonesome Dove main house and of them lookin' out the hotel window down at me in main street... Of course the hotel burned down in the movie, but Mr. Moody mad 'em build it back... got pics of the old burned up piano that was lying beside the rebuilt hotel facade... and a facade is all it was... Whole building wasn't nothin' but a front facade and a staircase that went up to the window on the "second floor"... second floor was about 4 feet square... just enough room to stand at the window... Whole town was that way... just facades... House had one front room and no back... that's where all the cameras were positioned... Only 2 things that were really complete was the bridge and corral pens... Was a fascinating place, but alas, bein' built right on the Rio Grande, the fine upstanding citizens of Mexico have helped themselves to just about everything they could take down and float back across the river...
      Very cool!

Comment

Originally posted by Grndchecker View Post
        I lost count of how many times I have watched it. I have slept with it on twice as many times. I have a VCR tape that has the whole 6 hour movie on it. With a DVD, it's multiple discs. It is a staple in my camper at the deer lease. Played it every night I was there. Infuriated my wife.

Little trivia--What's the name of Newt's horse?
        Yes.. Go to bed with it on and wake up, have my morning coffee and catch a little more before the morning hunt.

Comment

Read the book "Cow People" by J Frank Dobie before you watch any of the films again. You will thank me later.

Comment

Definitely one of my all-time favorite movies! Also read the book - excellent read.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
              Movie was made on our deer lease on the Moody Ranch South of Del Rio... We had to move some of our stands/feeders so they wouldn't be in the movie sets... Where the snake episode happened was actually in Sycamore Creek right beside our camp... If the camera had panned to the right about 1 more degree, our camp would have been in view...
              Where Woodrow buried Gus is also on Sycamore Creek and one of my all time favorite turkey hunting spots... Got pics of my kids when they were little sitting on the porch of Lonesome Dove main house and of them lookin' out the hotel window down at me in main street... Of course the hotel burned down in the movie, but Mr. Moody mad 'em build it back... got pics of the old burned up piano that was lying beside the rebuilt hotel facade... and a facade is all it was... Whole building wasn't nothin' but a front facade and a staircase that went up to the window on the "second floor"... second floor was about 4 feet square... just enough room to stand at the window... Whole town was that way... just facades... House had one front room and no back... that's where all the cameras were positioned... Only 2 things that were really complete was the bridge and corral pens... Was a fascinating place, but alas, bein' built right on the Rio Grande, the fine upstanding citizens of Mexico have helped themselves to just about everything they could take down and float back across the river...
              That's cool, Charlie!

Comment

Comanche Moon is the best of the "others", Return To Lonesome Dove isn't bad but Jon Voigt never had a prayer after TLJ...still worth a watch though.

Read ALL the books.

I got a coffee table book for my birthday full of photos the producer took during filming. The forword is by Larry McMurtry, and the intro has a lot of facts and info about the birth of the movie, and a lot of facts about the cast and filming. Lonesome Dove originaly started as a script McMurtrey wrote for a movie in which he planned to cast John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, and Henry Fonda.....but it changed quite a bit before he wrote the novel in '85.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                  I thought the book was great and the mini series " it's not a movie " was just ok and really kinda hokey. It is pre broke back mountain story about man love " albert mohler has covered the subject extremely in depth in some articles "
                  Who'd you steal that steaming pile from?

Comment

One of my all time favorite movies. I will by buying the DVD since I did not know it was on DVD and watching it again.

Yes I have it on VHS and only 1 tv that I can watch it on.

Comment

Originally posted by grndchecker View Post
                      i lost count of how many times i have watched it. I have slept with it on twice as many times. I have a vcr tape that has the whole 6 hour movie on it. With a dvd, it's multiple discs. It is a staple in my camper at the deer lease. Played it every night i was there. Infuriated my wife.

Little trivia--what's the name of newt's horse?
                      mouse

Comment

My grandson is named Augustus!

Trailboss

Comment

I got a few of Larrys books on tape, for a drive through Colorado in the snow. Great author, great trip.

As far as what is next.

Larry's son is James. He is a great singer songwriter, comes to Houston around Christmas. But I am pretty sure he hates every minute here.

James's son is Curtis. Not as good as James, but a different sound.

Comment

Went to one of the anniversary shows almost two years ago in Fort Worth. It was like 4 days long and the night I went it was Robert Duvall, Rick Scrhoder, Danny Glover, Chris Cooper (July)...was suppose to be Tommy Lee but you know he wasn't going to show up. Front row in the audience was the guys who played Dish and Jasper, and Diane Lane

Cool things I learned from it was Schroder had never watched it until recently and actually took his kids to see the set on the ranch and talked about how it was all but gone. If you do a quick search on the internet this guy drove from up north to see it, knocked on Moody ranch door and they let him tour it...he took lots of pics of how it looked at that time.

Schroder also talked about how Tommy Lee wouldn't speak to him off the set but Duvall and Danny Glover did a bunch of stuff with him. Even pointed him to the direction of Mexico once night came lol. Little Newt liked to party.

Glover has never seen it!!!! Not a fan of watching stuff he worked in.

James Gardner was suppose to play Gus but was sick or schedule didn't work out (thank god)

Bunch of other stuff to like how each got their part. Duvall talked about how he copied an old rancher when he went to start riding horses to prepare for filming. He basically based how he walked and talked and moved off this one man.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              Comanche Moon is the best of the "others", Return To Lonesome Dove isn't bad but Jon Voigt never had a prayer after TLJ...still worth a watch though.

Read ALL the books.

I got a coffee table book for my birthday full of photos the producer took during filming. The forword is by Larry McMurtry, and the intro has a lot of facts and info about the birth of the movie, and a lot of facts about the cast and filming. Lonesome Dove originaly started as a script McMurtrey wrote for a movie in which he planned to cast John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, and Henry Fonda.....but it changed quite a bit before he wrote the novel in '85.
                              Dale, a lot of that background info and the pics were done by Bill Moody (W.L.Moody IV)... He did the same thing for the re-release of "The Alamo" too. 100% of all the behind the scenes of that epic movie was shot by Bill. At the time no one even thought about filming the filming of the movies...

Lots of great memories for me personally on the ranch during the filming of Lonesome Dove... except for the fact that the dang "wets" (not sure that is PC now a days), stole my jeep from camp... Fortunately some of the movie crew was headed to town for dinner and saw them crash the front gate in my jeep... They told the sheriff about it when they got to Del Rio, and he was able to get into "hot pursuit" and catch 'em... They made it almost to Devine... Fortunately my Jeep ran out of gas before it did oil... I got it back no real worse for the trip other than a bent front bumper and busted out ignition switch... they busted it out and cranked it with a screwdriver that was under the seat...

That was all a good period of time for my family and me though...
                              Last edited by SaltwaterSlick; 12-05-2017, 12:21 PM. Reason: Tnik fingerz

Comment

I had the opportunity to hunt on the ranch with the original film set south of del rio for 2 seasons and it sure was neat to get to see it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X