Appeals court strikes down FAA drone registration rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appeals court strikes down FAA drone registration rule

Appeals court strikes down FAA drone registration rule!!! WHHOOOHOOO!

someone with half a brain finally realized this is pure stupidity!

Well , they already got my $5!

i guess someone finally got tired of getting 100's of phone calls a day from hobbyists flying their quads in their back yard ....

Comment

They might appeal to the SCOTUS.

Hopefully they will keep the same ruling if it is taken by them. Looking at the law, it appears as though the appeals court was correct. The law states that the FAA cannot impose regulations or registrations on model aircraft operated for sport or recreation.

It is not against the law to have such rules but Congress has to do it, not the FAA.

Comment

The Appeals Court is wrong. The FAA is there to regulate aviation and air safety. The appeals court just voided part of that authority and open the door for more rulings possible jeopardizing air safety. Does this mean the FAA rule on 400ft for drones is also void ? They just opened up a can of stink without any knowledge of the subject.

Comment

I won't care until it's legal to blast these **** things out the sky. Too many people with eyes where they don't belong.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
            I won't care until it's legal to blast these **** things out the sky. Too many people with eyes where they don't belong.
            AGREED ! I don't need some amateur flying is overgrown toy 200ft over my house.

Comment

The decision quotes law saying the FAA can't regulate model aircraft. A drone and a model aircraft are not the same things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The regs for model aircraft have not kept up with the development of them. 50 years ago a model plane was very limited in performance. Today they can easily climb into airspace used by passenger planes and create serious problems. It needs to be addressed.

Comment

I had one flying about 10ft over me / front hood going 75mph while driving through Falfurious on 281 this week...now it had a really good tail wind, but surprised it kept up as long as it did.

Comment

you should look at some of the r/c ducted fan and jets that are available. WOW!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                      A drone and a model aircraft are not the same things.
                      Model Aircraft: A model aircraft is a small sized unmanned aircraft or, in the case of a scale model, a replica of an existing or imaginary aircraft.

Drones are model aircraft. The FAA overstepped their bounds. Appeals court rightfully interpreted the law and came to the only possible conclusion on this. If the Congress, which makes the laws in this country, wants to create a law requiring registration, they can do that. Bureaucrats at the FAA should not.

Comment

Nothing said about blasting out of the sky.

Comment

Originally posted by Leverhunter View Post
                          The Appeals Court is wrong. The FAA is there to regulate aviation and air safety. The appeals court just voided part of that authority and open the door for more rulings possible jeopardizing air safety. Does this mean the FAA rule on 400ft for drones is also void ? They just opened up a can of stink without any knowledge of the subject.
                          The only knowledge they ruled on was the section that said the FAA has no authority to regulate model aircraft used for recreation. Model aircraft a lot larger than typical drones have been around for decades. Drones simply now are easier to fly.

Safe? Unsafe?

The court ruling was on lawful authority to tax and regulate and the FAA has none under the 2012 law. The Court might not know about flying aircraft but they can understand written law.

Comment

Originally posted by Leverhunter View Post
                            The regs for model aircraft have not kept up with the development of them. 50 years ago a model plane was very limited in performance. Today they can easily climb into airspace used by passenger planes and create serious problems. It needs to be addressed.
                            That part is addressed in the law and it is a crime. How does a registration fee/tax on them stops that?

That is like saying a tax on every container of drinking alcohol (which is the law) will stop DWI or registering firearms will stop crime.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                              Nothing said about blasting out of the sky.

Comment

Working...
                              X