Bolt hard to close on Rem 700?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bolt hard to close on Rem 700?

I bought a box of 165 grain partitions for my Sendero .300 RUM and when trying to chamber a round, the bolt is extremely difficult/tight to close. HSM ammo feeds just fine. Any ideas what could be going on?

factory rounds or reloads?

Comment

I had this happen with some custom ammo for a .280. Turns out the neck of the cartridge was just a little too big and that was my problem. Believe it was a Nosler round- switched to ballistic tips, same weight, and bolt worked just fine.

Comment

If it is brass that has never been fired from your rifle (even new) the headspacing can be off a little and cause a bolt to close hard.

I shoot the .300 RUM and have seen it more than once. This is a big reason I reload for it.

Comment

Its in the casing, doing reloading for awhile, I have run across this w/ reloading, and some guns are tight chambering too...

Comment

More than likely it's the case was improperly resized? Usually shoulder is not set back far enough, or the roll crimp is improperly set up causing a slight bulge at the neck shoulder junction

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=Outbreaker;12573522]If it is brass that has never been fired from your rifle (even new) the headspacing can be off a little and cause a bolt to close hard.

X2

Comment

Very common for problem for a Remington 700. You just need to polish the chamber and you will be good to go. Does not cost much.

Comment

I'm sure you know your gun well, but in my 7mm rem mag., the bolt is hard to close if I put the bullet straight into the chamber as apposed to loading into the magazine first. Probably not your issue, but something I had to figure out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by emanon6 View Post
                    I'm sure you know your gun well, but in my 7mm rem mag., the bolt is hard to close if I put the bullet straight into the chamber as apposed to loading into the magazine first. Probably not your issue, but something I had to figure out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    I bet yours is a control feed not a push feed like the 700.

My 1917 enfield is that was as are other actions that are based on the Mauser control feed (mod 70 etc)

Comment

Do the hard to close loads group better? If its a head space issue,, the load very well may shoot tighter. Could be a seating debth issue as well. look for excess pressure signs on the hull.

Comment

These are factory loads. And i appreciate the feedback. I may get the chamber polished and see if I can find somebody to handload some rounds for me. And as far as accuracy goes, the HSM rounds actually shot a little better than the partitions did just from the little I've shot the partitions. I just wanted to make sure they were safe to shoot since I hadn't experienced an issue like that before.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                          Could be a seating debth issue as well.
                          This is probably the most likely cause. You would think factory ammo would be SAAMI spec but you never know.

Comment

Load a round, close the bolt, and then extract it and look for rifling marks on the bullet---which would indicate the cartridge's OAL is too long and bullet is being jammed into the rifling. Don't think it is likely with factory ammo though--

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                              Load a round, close the bolt, and then extract it and look for rifling marks on the bullet---which would indicate the cartridge's OAL is too long and bullet is being jammed into the rifling. Don't think it is likely with factory ammo though--
                              You might also takes a magic marker and color everything on the front end, chamber a round and see if any of it is scratched off and where.

Comment

Working...
                              X