No announcement yet.

Broke out the old LX yesterday - still shoots better than me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I'm not trying to toot my own horn here (really), and I'm definitely not trying to bash anyone, but here's what my experience has been.

I've been trad shooting now for 51 years. I've been trad hunting for 32 years.
    Why the difference in years? The answer is simple. It took me that many years before I felt proficient enough with my bow to hunt with it.

In that 32 years of hunting, I have lost 7 animals. 3 deer, and 4 hogs. Pretty good success rate considering the hundreds I have recovered.

In all my years of bowhunting, and sharing a hunting lease, I was always the only trad guy on the lease. All the rest were compound guys. I killed just as many deer & pigs as they did, and spent way more time looking for their shot animals, than I did mine, MANY of which were never recovered.

Regardless of which, it's not about the equipment.
    It's about the dedication, and the honesty to yourself in knowing your limitations.
    It's a mind set, YOU have to develop, and some (dare I say many) don't have the maturity to do so.

I can (could. haven't tried in a long time) shoot milk jugs at 100 yards with a good compound bow. Been there, done that (many times), and have the witnesses, and the money in my pocket to prove it, but I would NEVER try to kill an animal that far away with any bow.

There are slob hunters in every faction, and no more in one than any other.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
      That too, but they did at one time state the wound & lost animals rates as being lower with trad equipment than with the compound. Maybe they've edited that particular info out in an effort to not offend anyone, because I read the official document of the research not long after it was first released.

Now, think about that for a minute. If the Trad guys had a higher wound & loss rate, cutting back to trad only would not decrease the number of animals removed from the field at all. It would only reduce the number of animals brought into camp.

Rick

EDIT for a little more info:
      I was told by an insider from MCAAP, that the compound guys were to prone to taking longer shots than they should, which resulted in more wounded & lost animals than they were willing to accept. Take that info, or leave it, but I guarantee you I would not offer it if not the truth.
      Rick, I would love to read that study, but I haven't been able to locate it.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        Just sucks that I have to have separate peers to talk to about bows with wheels and those without.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
        You need to get past thinking folks are snobs about it.
        They aren't. Well maybe some, but most aren't, and I'm darn sure not.

The point is - I'm not interested in talking about, or seeing discussions about anything other than traditional equipment in what is supposed to be a traditional only forum. That does not mean I'm not interested in other equipment at all. I am, but I take myself to those venues when I feel the need.

Hope that makes sense. If not, then I give up.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
          Rick, I would love to read that study, but I haven't been able to locate it.
          That's what I said Phil. It must have been edited out to smooth feather at one time or another. It's amazing what PC pressure can accomplish when applied in the right places.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
            That's what I said Phil. It must have been edited out to smooth feather at one time or another. It's amazing what PC pressure can accomplish when applied in the right places.

Rick
            Rick, I'm thinking it must have been an earlier study. The one I posted a link too, took place after they had switched to traditional. I agree with you in that when I come to this forum I want to talk about trad equipment and subjects.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
              Rick, I'm thinking it must have been an earlier study. The one I posted a link too, took place after they had switched to traditional. I agree with you in that when I come to this forum I want to talk about trad equipment and subjects.
              Yeah, I don't know.
              All I know is, I remember setting down with an article from MCAAP concerning their study, reading it, and discussing it with several others at the table at the time, and that has been quite a long time ago. We all found it pretty interesting to say the least.

Rick

Comment

I don't think you're a snob Rick. And I know you're dang good for sure. And I agree that this section should stay trad oriented. But I learned a long time ago in my career that it didn't matter how good I was at what I did if I couldn't share it with, pass on to and mentor for others.

Comment

I find some good folk here doing that daily.

Comment

So this was in the trad section, I take it

If you green screen on a smart phone, everything shows up on the home page.
                    I didn't go looking in the trad section for some 'purist' to poke at.
                    I just noticed a guy getting beat up on for having fun.
                    I don't care if he's riding a tricycle, dating a big girl, shooting a compound , or a glock.
                    Let the man enjoy life.
                    Now stop crying and go watch some more videos so you can try to guess how far your next deer will duck-just playing.
                    Y'all have fun out there

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
                      If you green screen on a smart phone, everything shows up on the home page.
                      I didn't go looking in the trad section for some 'purist' to poke at.
                      I just noticed a guy getting beat up on for having fun.
                      I don't care if he's riding a tricycle, dating a big girl, shooting a compound , or a glock.
                      Let the man enjoy life.
                      Now stop crying and go watch some more videos so you can try to guess how far your next deer will duck-just playing.
                      Y'all have fun out there
                      That's weird. I come here all the time on my smart phone, and know exactly what forum I am in every time. It all works exactly like when on my computer, except the screen is smaller.

I wonder why you can't?
                      Not being a SA. Just curious.

Rick

P.S.
                      When I cry ( I might) I'll ask you to share your tissues.

Comment

I would share no matter what you shoot.

I didn't say I couldn't figure it out, I said it pops up on the home screen. I click on interesting titles, noticed a guy getting ragged on.

Comment

Well Rick I sometimes don't look to the right to see what forum it is either but just click on home screen titles that catch my interest but most of the time I use Tapatalk now and have chose to get feed from only the trad section so I don't use the GS much any more.

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
                            I would share no matter what you shoot.

I didn't say I couldn't figure it out, I said it pops up on the home screen. I click on interesting titles, noticed a guy getting ragged on.
                            I understand completely.
                            You were coming to the rescue of what you thought was a brother in trouble.

That is truly commendable, yet prior to your valiant charge, if you had been paying a little more attention to what you were reading, you would have realized it to be unnecessary.

Moral of that story - If you're going to play "super hero", make sure your exray vision isn't on the blink before you start knocking doors down.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                              Really???? I think it has a lot more to do with the person than the equipment!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              This man should know.

Comment

You can tell we're all ready for whitetail season to get here [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X