Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monarch 55 grain soft point

Comment

Any 55gr soft point should be adequate. I love Nosler BTs for my 6.5s but I haven't tried them in a 223. Don't see why they wouldn't be great. I'd be looking at rebarreling that thing to a faster twist, like 1:8. Unless you're dead set on shooting lightweight (>55gr) bullets, that aren't the best (imo) for hogs and and deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I know the 223 is not the best for pigs, in any configuration. For sure not with varmint bullets. And quite honestly if I am going on a sho-nuff, serious pig hunt I will move the Photon over to a bigger rifle. But you never know when you will run across a pig around here out night hunting and I would like to be shooting a decent enough bullet that at least has a chance on one. I know the Sierra #1365 can handle that, and it may be what I end up shooting.

I have some 64 Nosler Bonded that I KNOW will handle the job, and they shoot OK in it. Accurate enough for pigs anyways. I don't generally like to carry two kinds of ammo because you always tend to have the wrong thing in the gun when you need it. That isn't near as big a deal with the Encore though since you can swap loads so fast. If I can get the 64 shooting the same POI as the 55 NBT I might go that route.

Horitexan, to address your question about twist. Finding a faster than 12 twist barrel for an Encore is a PITA unless you want to order full custom. I threw this rifle together as a budget project for a frame I already had. The original concept wasn't a pig gun (and really still isn't, to be honest). It will just have to do the best it can with a slow twist. Basically I was just putting an Encore frame back in service on the cheap.

Comment

40gr vmax

Comment

55 grain hollow point. Lights out!

Comment

55 hornady sp

I've killed many pigs with the hornady training 55 gr sp 223 ammo. here's one recovered between shoulder and hide on the far shoulder two weeks ago, 200lb sow @ 60yds
              Attached Files

Comment

1-12 twist??? Id be shopping for a new barrel...

The new 75 grain hornady black look like pig killing machines...

That said, ive killed a BUNCH with 55 fmj...

Comment

69 gr. Sierra bthp.

Comment

Shooting pigs with a 223

Codi's weighed #285, mine was about #165.

Comment

Comment

Shooting pigs with a 223

Deb's big boar weighed #385 and dropped with only one shot with a broken C1 . The vertebrae was completely dissentigrated

Comment

Originally posted by TxnRunner View Post
                          I kill 'em fine with 55gr mil surplus fmj... most drop on impact
                          At last count I think there are about 3+- that all agree on this? Looks like we are in the minority...but agreed...DRT and NOT just head/ear shots.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeterboud View Post
                            I've killed many pigs with the hornady training 55 gr sp 223 ammo. here's one recovered between shoulder and hide on the far shoulder two weeks ago, 200lb sow @ 60yds
                            All I use.

Comment

I'm having pretty good luck with 75 grain Hornady Black Ammo- boattail hollow points from Academy; the first two pictures were from this weekends hunt, neck shots on all three DRT.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5828.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	24502470

Name:	IMG_5920.JPG
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	24502471

Name:	IMG_5383.jpg
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	24502472
                              Last nights hunt.
                              DPMS Oracle/ATN X-Sight 2 with 75 Grain hornady hollow point.
                              Last edited by coachwhip; 07-16-2017, 09:29 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Here is what a 50 gr. jacketed hollow point did to a 4"+ diameter oak tree at 40 yds. just last friday. Should do a number on all but the biggest of hogs. I've seen large caliber bullets not penetrate, stuck in the shield of large boars.

Entrance...

Exit...

--------------------------
                                Nombre, Shut up!
                                GO SPURS GO!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X