Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Devers Freak

A little background first!

I usually just lurk around on this site and don't post much of anything. I enjoy seeing everyone's pics and stories. I hunt in South East Texas (Devers) and this year me and my Son also got on a lease in Eldorado. I get more enjoyment out of killing an East Texas buck than anything though. I've taken my fair share of deer with a bow and have some really good ones on the wall but have never killed anything over a 9 point for some odd reason.
    Usually when rifle season rolls around in Devers I'll put the bow down because we don't get many opportunities and I want to capitalize on it. Hurricane Harvey devastated our area with flood waters this year and I was expecting the deer population to be heavily impacted. To my surprise the deer made it through the flood! Fortunately the hogs didn't fair so well. We had so many hogs last year it was almost impossible to kill a deer.

On to the "Devers Freak"!

I believe I saw this buck 2 years ago and at the time I thought he was a 2 1/2 year old but I'd be lying if I tried to proclaim that I know how to age these deer in Devers. He had 14 points and didn't make AR. Keep in mind that such a deer just isn't found in Devers and my Brother thought I was crazy. Sunday of opening weekend at 10:30am he made his reappearance at the end of my logging road at around 300 yards. I wish I had an awesome story but the whole ordeal lasted about 4 seconds. In true big buck fashion he popped out on the edge of the road and looked left, then right and was about to fly on across as they typically do unless there is a hot doe standing around. I knew from first glance that he had something unusual on his head. The sun shined on his antlers like a beacon and I could see them with the naked eye. I put the 7 mag on him and squeezed off a round killing him with a shoulder shot. He's not a giant and won't even score well but I don't care. He's got 16 points (Not all score-able) with a nice point broken off and he's 14 1/4" wide with plenty of mass all around. I'm 51 and have never taken such a cool buck. This is a buck of a lifetime in Devers Tx for me. Apparently I'm too stupid to figure out how to post pics. They are either too big or the wrong format and I'm giving up on that. If someone would like to help me out I'll text them to you or please explain to me what file type to use (bmp,jpeg, etc.)

Sorry for the long read!!

PM coming

Comment

Looking forward to it. I hunted in Devers, lots of years back

Comment

in for LDP's

Comment

Pics on the way!!! Thanks for the help!! You guys are so quick you had it read and sent PM's before I could even find what I posted. LOL

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Cool buck!

Comment

Congrats to you!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice animal. Congrats!!

Comment

that's a cool looking deer!

Comment

cool deer, like the hole in the beam.

Comment

Very nice character for an East Texas buck, congratulations!

Comment

Very cool looking deer!! Congrats on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cool buck

Comment

Love the character!

Comment

Working...
                              X