Texas Deer and Land Management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Deer and Land Management

If you are interested or have experience in topics related to deer and land management in Texas such as, food plots, supplemental feed, bedding plots, natural forage, food plot equipment, planting times, planting forage, deer aging, etc...
    Post It Here!! - Keep It Related to The Title!!

I looking for some information on food plots and natural forage that deer love to eat. I hunt in the cross timbers region of Texas, does anyone have some information on that region or other regions in Texas?

Comment

Smokey, where's what I did around the area you hunt. Wheat, oat's, winter pea's and turnip's. The deer really hit the wheat and oat's! I saw more deer 2 years ago when I did this food plot than I have ever seen. Here's the food plot

So has anyone planted anything different and had deer like it as much as winter wheat and oat's? This year I'm gonna add some BioLogic into the mix.

Comment

im in southern eastland county and the deer loved our wheat/oat plot! we have an 8 pt or better outside the ear program i started as well as shooting 2 year old spikes and our deer herd has improved alot in 4 years, our place is only 63 acres but it can be done!

Comment

I tried a spring food plot last year with mung beans and milo. Did real good until the rain stopped. Deer were in the plots until everything dried up. Planted wheat in the fall. Rain is such a limiting factor that I will probably stick with wheat only this year because of the cost. I hunt in Eastland county north of Cross Plains.

Comment

Originally posted by SFC Warren View Post
            I tried a spring food plot last year with mung beans and milo. Did real good until the rain stopped. Deer were in the plots until everything dried up. Planted wheat in the fall. Rain is such a limiting factor that I will probably stick with wheat only this year because of the cost. I hunt in Eastland county north of Cross Plains.
            hey neighbor

Comment

How big a food plot you allowed to make? Do you have tractor, discs,harrow etc?

Comment

Hey neighbor. Looks like there is good moisture out there now. I am going out this weekend to do a little pig hunting.

Comment

The plot can be as big as 7 acres. Tractor, brush hog, no disc yet, I need one! Looking to disc and rake, then seed a spring and a fall plot. Also looking to make a bedding area plot with some switchgrass and klein grass mix, has anybody made a bedding area? Has anybody used the Tecomote seed or Biologic seed?

Comment

There is alot of good seed blends out there that will work in our area. The only problem(biggest problem) is rain. No matter what you plant, water will always be a limiting factor unless you can irrigate it. Ive never tried a planting a bedding area.

Comment

What ever happened to the pig poisoning scare in Eastland County? Does anyone know?

Comment

I talked to TDA several times and they kinda got quiet about it. Not sure what happened. It was pretty close to me.

Comment

What about black eyed peas or other peas from the grocery store? I heard they are grow good and cheaper than the seed from the feed and seed store.

Comment

They should work. But when I have planted peas and soybeans, the deer ate them as soon as the seed got out of the ground. Which is not bad, but they dont produce seeds either and they clean a food plot pretty quick.

Comment

Originally posted by huntman933 View Post
                              Smokey, where's what I did around the area you hunt. Wheat, oat's, winter pea's and turnip's. The deer really hit the wheat and oat's! I saw more deer 2 years ago when I did this food plot than I have ever seen. Here's the food plot

So has anyone planted anything different and had deer like it as much as winter wheat and oat's? This year I'm gonna add some BioLogic into the mix.
                              Did the winter peas and turnips grow? Or did the deer not like it as much as the wheat/oat?

Comment

Working...
                              X