No announcement yet.

Elk Hunt - Accubond Long Range v. Hornady Precision Hunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had exits on the 2 mature whitetail bucks with the 143gr eldx in my creedmoor at moderate ranges - 100-125yds. Great blood trails on both that a kid could follow - shot both through the shoulders and took out the lungs.

Maybe at the increased velocities in the 264wm they are not holding together?

Comment

Originally posted by cb4128 View Post
      I've had exits on the 2 mature whitetail bucks with the 143gr eldx in my creedmoor at moderate ranges - 100-125yds. Great blood trails on both that a kid could follow - shot both through the shoulders and took out the lungs.

Maybe at the increased velocities in the 264wm they are not holding together?

That's what I think.

Comment

Accubond all the way for me. I killed a nice whitetail this past year at 302 yards with a 140 gr. Accubond in my 7/08. Complete pass through and the deer spun around and fell over dead.

If not the Accubond, I'd used the Barnes TTSX. I shoot them in my 7 RSAUM and my 257 Roberts. I've never recovered a bullet and all critters dropped where they stood.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
          I specifically mentioned the Accubond Longrange which also have a real tendency to come apart at close range. We were loading them in 2 different rifles and after last years performance we are switching everything back to regular Accubonds
          The Accubond Long Range doesn't have the reputation of the Accubond. Quite the opposite. Most of the responses address the Accubond and not the Long Range version. I have no experience with the Hornady Precision Hunter. Based on the reputation of these two bullets, I'd go to the original Accubond or look at the TSX or TTSX, both of which are wonderful.

LWD

Comment

My choice would be a regular accubond.

Comment

Nothing wrong with the regular old hornady interlocks.

Comment

Nosler Accubond 165gr out of my 308, dropped a bull in his tracks at 200yds. Also laid over a 200lb sow at 250yds, she ran about 20 yds. Great blood trail. Tikka T3 loves them, tight groups.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurtproy View Post
                  Nosler Accubond 165gr out of my 308, dropped a bull in his tracks at 200yds. Also laid over a 200lb sow at 250yds, she ran about 20 yds. Great blood trail. Tikka T3 loves them, tight groups.

Similar experience, same ammo with my 270 & 130 grain...bull was doubled lunged & went 60 yards

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
                    The Accubond Long Range doesn't have the reputation of the Accubond. Quite the opposite. Most of the responses address the Accubond and not the Long Range version. I have no experience with the Hornady Precision Hunter. Based on the reputation of these two bullets, I'd go to the original Accubond or look at the TSX or TTSX, both of which are wonderful.

LWD

You and I agree and making the same point. The OP asked about LRAB while most of the responses are focused on the tried and true Accubond.

From my experience the Longrange are too fragile for dependable penetration on shorter range shots (inside 250)

Comment

Elk are where you find them. Sometimes it's 300 yards, sometimes it's 10 yards. Why limit your effective bullet to a design made for strictly long range? I really believe a hunting round made to perform strictly at long range is irresponsible and unethical. We (humans) can sometimes micro-manage the heck out of something that's so simple. Elk have very large vitals. There are tons of bullets that perform well at "hunting distances" so why limit yourself to a design that reduces your "effective" range (In the case of long-range bullets, you are reducing your effective range to greater than 200 yards)

Comment

Put a good shot on the animal and both bullets will drop it.

Comment

In my experience with any brand that makes a jacketed bullet with a polymer tip, they are less accurate, lower performing in about every category than any other jacketed type. BUT they will still kill just as well as any other bullet.

I would go with whatever you're most confident in, and be ready for a follow up shot because Elk are big animals and at times can soak up some lead.

Comment

Working...
                          X