Standing up a drill stem flag pole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standing up a drill stem flag pole

I have 2 telescoping 20’ flag poles at the lease in west texas. They’ve been there a year and already starting to wear out. I guess between the constant up and down and the high wind, its just to much for them. In my typical overkill fashion, I want to use some kind of steel pipe and DIY them but really want to go to 30’. Only problem is, I am not sure how to stand it up. No equipment, just redneck muscle. Lol Any suggestions?

Could you set it up to pivot at the bottom, using large bolts through an anchored split sleeve?

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
      Could you set it up to pivot at the bottom, using large bolts through an anchored split sleeve?
      I believe that I would have to. There are two 6” pipe gate post that are concreted into the rock now. I could weld something off the bottom of those.

Comment

Something like these:

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
          Something along these lines is what I was thinking.

Comment

By the time you do all that, you could just concrete a piece of pvc in the ground and rent a tow behind boom lift. Have one guy lift the pipe with the boom and the other guide her into the hole in the ground. Should be about $100 for the day rental

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=FLASH_OUTDOORS;13415758]By the time you do all that, you could just concrete a piece of pvc in the ground and rent a tow behind boom lift. Have one guy lift the pipe with the boom and the other guide her into the hole in the ground. Should be about $100 for the day rental

I just rented one this weekend and it was $250......but stll think you have the best and safest plan

Comment

[quote=RWB;13415768]
                Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                By the time you do all that, you could just concrete a piece of pvc in the ground and rent a tow behind boom lift. Have one guy lift the pipe with the boom and the other guide her into the hole in the ground. Should be about $100 for the day rental

I just rented one this weekend and it was $250......but stll think you have the best and safest plan

I may be off a bit in the price and I know all places vary. For the pole you are talking I would use 4” pvc and fill in the void with play sand. Add water to it and once it settles top it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Make sure you are well away from any overhead power lines too.

Comment

How tall you want it?

Get a used joint of oilfield tubing, they are about 32ft long.

2 3/8" diameter is 4.70lb/ft and 2 7/8" is 6.50lb/ft.

dig a deep enough hole and man handle it up there.

a joint of 2 3/8" weighs about 150lbs and 2 7/8" about 200lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Texas276 View Post
                      How tall you want it?

Get a used joint of oilfield tubing, they are about 32ft long.

2 3/8" diameter is 4.70lb/ft and 2 7/8" is 6.50lb/ft.

dig a deep enough hole and man handle it up there.

a joint of 2 3/8" weighs about 150lbs and 2 7/8" about 200lbs
                      That’s what I want to use. Do you think I could man handle it to the standing position?

Comment

I have a flag pole made from a full joint of 2 3/8" topped with a 9" roller cone on each side of my entry way. no way in heck those would have been stood up by hand. one trick I did learn is to put a board in the hole so the pipe rides that when sliding in, if not it just digs into the side of the hole.

Comment

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

I made a hinge out of two 3/8" thick steel plates. 12X12 for the bottom plate and 10x11 for the top plate. I dug a 2' hole with post hole diggers and enlarged the top of the hole to roughly 2' square. Poured a concrete pad and set all thread in it, four to anchor the bottom plate and one to go through both plates acting as a pin. Welded on an 18" long piece of pipe with and I.D. of 2 3/8 to the center of the top plate and put three holes in it lining them up vertically. The top and the bottom holes I went completely through the pipe and the middle hole, I only went through one side and welded a nut to it so I could tighten up any free play there might be. Slid a 20' joint of 2 3/8 O.D. pipe into it and pinned it in place. Used my pickup to stand it upright and a lock washer and nut to bolt it to the all thread sticking up through both plates.

Comment

Originally posted by brianlg31 View Post
                              That’s what I want to use. Do you think I could man handle it to the standing position?
                              You can, but this is really a two-person job. You can tie a rope about 2/3 the way up and have someone pulling while someone is walking it up.

Comment

Working...
                              X