Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 San Angelo surrounding area season thread.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a helicopter survey scheduled for next Friday the 16th, I'm looking forward to gaining a ton of useful information from the biologist we can use to set informed goals.

Comment

I cant wait to get out to my place and check the Cams and set up my last stand. Looks like Sept 3rd is next chance ill be able to do so.

Comment

Any live pics on that 9?
        I don't see 4.5 on him but always hard to tell on ground pics like that.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
          From the one pic the deer looks 6+ to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I don't think I could make an argument for 6+ based off that 1 pic.

He is a solid buck and I'd lean 4+ but I'd have to see more pics to make a kill/no kill decision.

The discussion is good to have tho

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
            Any live pics on that 9?
            I don't see 4.5 on him but always hard to tell on ground pics like that.
            I do somewhere Jack, I'll have to look. He ran around with two known 3 year olds and probably had 40 - 50 pounds on those deer. There's no debate between the members that he was at least 4. Seemed like a good cull buck when he came strolling in. Looking back I wish I would have left him alone, but it's part of the learning process.

Comment

I don't think I could make an argument for 6+ based off that 1 pic.

He is a solid buck and I'd lean 4+ but I'd have to see more pics to make a kill/no kill decision.

The discussion is good to have tho
              We are all in agreement that for now this buck gets a pass this year. May change after we get the results of the survey and eyes on him in person.

Comment

Originally posted by The Crippler View Post
                I do somewhere Jack, I'll have to look. He ran around with two known 3 year olds and probably had 40 - 50 pounds on those deer. There's no debate between the members that he was at least 4. Seemed like a good cull buck when he came strolling in. Looking back I wish I would have left him alone, but it's part of the learning process.
                For sure, thats why the trail cam pics are so important if you really want to manage. Lots of times when a good buck rolls in my blood gets pumping and if I don't already have some kind of idea on age its hard to make that call in the stand. Some bucks I can't tell until I see them interact with others and how they walk. You def have some good deer to work with there.

Comment

For sure, thats why the trail cam pics are so important if you really want to manage. Lots of times when a good buck rolls in my blood gets pumping and if I don't already have some kind of idea on age its hard to make that call in the stand. Some bucks I can't tell until I see them interact with others and how they walk. You def have some good deer to work with there.
                  Here's a live picture of him, tell me what you see. I'm not too proud to admit I made a mistake Everyone was fine, we knew we had to kill a bunch of deer and we had been wearing the does out. Plenty of bigger bucks out there.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here's a live picture of him, tell me what you see. I'm not too proud to admit I made a mistake Everyone was fine, we knew we had to kill a bunch of deer and we had been wearing the does out. Plenty of bigger bucks out there.
                    What time of year is that pic from?

A biologist told a friend of mine regarding their lease in south Texas (big **** low fence place) that if they weren't making mistakes on age 20% of the time they weren't shooting enough cull bucks.

The ones you really don't want to pop are the young giants.

Comment

nothing about that deer really says 4.5 to me. girth is full front of shoulders to rump. Has a full rippled look showing very little if any muscle definition in shoulders, neck ties straight into point of brisket. Slight sag in back and also looking at the truck bed pic appears to have very large callouses on front knees. If this pic is any earlier than mid november I'd say 5+ pretty easily.

I do like his frame but since he was barley a main frame 9 I see no prob with shooting that deer. Looks like a solid management buck to me. Especially if you have better younger 10pnts on the property.

with a full broadside pic we could prob see a few more defining features that aren't visible in that pic.

Comment

nothing about that deer really says 4.5 to me. girth is full front of shoulders to rump. Has a full rippled look showing very little if any muscle definition in shoulders, neck ties straight into point of brisket. Slight sag in back and also looking at the truck bed pic appears to have very large callouses on front knees. If this pic is any earlier than mid november I'd say 5+ pretty easily.

I do like his frame but since he was barley a main frame 9 I see no prob with shooting that deer. Looks like a solid management buck to me. Especially if you have better younger 10pnts on the property.

with a full broadside pic we could prob see a few more defining features that aren't visible in that pic.
                        This is the only one I have, he was pretty camera shy. It was taken in the middle of October. I'm starting to feel a little better... We are definitely being careful with the mainframe 10's, there are quite a few young ones we are protecting.

Check out all the gray hairs that were in his coat, does that signify anything?
                        Attached Files

Comment

This is the only one I have, he was pretty camera shy. It was taken in the middle of October. I'm starting to feel a little better... We are definitely being careful with the mainframe 10's, there are quite a few young ones we are protecting.

Check out all the gray hairs that were in his coat, does that signify anything?
                          Not really that I know of but I guess it could,but if that was an Oct pic I'd say min 5.5, I think your good

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                            Matching g2 kickers on this little guy.

That's a youngster there! Going to be a biggin down the road

Comment

Got some of the good stuff this morning.... to add to the 6/10s we’ve had the previous two days. Starting to see some good deer on camera again. It’s getting closer.

Comment

Theres no deer in san angelo...quit posting fake pictures ...

Glad we got rain..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X