No announcement yet.

Lake Whitney State Park Rattlesnake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The dude holding the snake is my nieghbor he is about 5' 4". he makes the snake look huge. I have seen bigger on the corp land. That is at the state park.

Comment

He is big enough for me.

Big enough to stay far far away from, that is.

Comment

Ok guys, if you were putting a rattlebug in a barrel, would you be holding it right next to your body or way way out away from you. That is what he is doing in the picture. My bet is he is 5' from the snake. His near hand is probably 3'+ back from the head making it look bigger than it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Murph View Post
          Relocated, kill that son of a gun.
          This for sure !!

However, it is the STATE so they proabably are not allowed to kill them - just guessing.

Comment

Originally posted by LWArchery View Post
            The dude holding the snake is my nieghbor he is about 5' 4". he makes the snake look huge. I have seen bigger on the corp land. That is at the state park.
            Well there you go

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
              yeah, I am sure you are right. there has never ever been a rattle snake caught when it was raining and 55 degrees.... never ever ever...
              Looks like this one IS real. Sorry bud, just so used to the fake emails I jumped the gun.

Comment

According to their Facebook page this picture is real, https://www.facebook.com/texasparksandwildlife

Comment

Sunny, I have checked with park staff and this is indeed a genuine photo. This was a 4-5 foot native Western Diamondback who was observed sunning himself on a rock by park visitors who then contacted park staff. Park management responded and humanely removed the snake from near a trail and relocated it to the prairie part of the park without incident. Western Diamondbacks and in fact all snakes in Texas are vital to the natural beauty and wildness of our state parks and natural areas. Incidents involving venomous snakes are quite rare, but visitors should always be vigilant in natural habitats and wear appropriate clothing, boots and long pants when hiking or back-packing the trails. Most snakes are not aggressive and would prefer to be left alone. If you would like to learn more about our native snakes please visit this page on our website:

Comment

If anyone is following that "rattlesnake republic" tv series, i went to high school in taylor with shawn jonas, the last episode they were at granger lake and found 45 snakes on a sand bar!!!i immediately sent him a pm on facebook and told him that i had been hunting granger lake and the san gabriel river for the past 20 years and had only seen only three rattlesnakes out there, i told him he planted the snakes out there for tv!!!he didn't reply!!!!as many times as i have been tracking bloody hogs and deer out there i would have run into one if there was that many snakes at granger, told him that i thought it was cool to see someone i knew on tv but that he and the show were full of it!!!had my buds from taylor call me and tell me the same.....hes full of it!!!but i do like the show.....but that pic of the snake above is real and rattlesnakes get way bigger than that one! Believe it or not i saw one caught over 7 foot near dime box, tx.

Comment

i live here in whitney and got a pick texted to me straight from the gw. its 100% real

Comment

He is not holding the snake close to the camera , he's holding it far away from his self

Comment

we fished Ivey a lot when it filled up the first time...we killed a ton of snakes that got pushed up out of those canyons as the water came up....I bet the water got him moving earlier than he wanted

cool pic

Comment

Originally posted by WARDEN View Post
                            He is not holding the snake close to the camera , he's holding it far away from his self

Some guys just can't handel snakes.

I'll have to find the pics of me.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinnykyle View Post
                              The snake is probably real but you will probably never know for sure where it was captured. A coworker showed it to me this morning and his email said it was found in Lake Belton.
                              I got it in a text that also said Lake Belton.

Comment

I've sure seen some healthy ones on COE land around Whitney.

Comment

Working...
                                X