No announcement yet.

Duck Hunting shotgun opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The inertia guns are much simpler and in my experience more reliable when abused. The gas guns definitely kick less and can be pretty well as reliable if taken care of. I'd pick the one that fits and points the best. It doesn't matter what brand it is if you can't hit anything with it.

Comment

Man lots of good info here, thanks guys. I agree with some of you about the feel of the gun, but that's only half of the equation. Reliability is the other half which was the main intent of the thread. Heading to Cabelas today to see what they have in stock. Based on opinions here and further research, I've got the Beretta 350 or 400 and Benelli SB2 as front runners. I'll see how they both feel and go from there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
      Last edited by solocam_aggie; 01-09-2018, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by texanhoyt View Post
        Go to a registered NSCA sporting clay tournament and see what the majority of the auto loaders are there. Not gonna see many benellis but you will see a boat load of Beretta a400s, 391's, and even 390s which havnt been made in 15 years. Some of these guys put 200 plus rounds down the tube every weekend and the guns last for years and years. I am by no means saying the benellis are not good guns I hunt with a lot of guys who love them but the my xtrema 2, and a 400's have never let me down.
        Another solid post, and true story. But those gas guns...They just aren't as tough as inertia guns [emoji23]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
          Man lots of good info here, thanks guys. I agree with some of you about the feel of the gun, but that's only half of the equation. Reliability is the other half which was the main intent of the thread. Heading to Cabelas today to see what they have in stock. Based on opinions here and further research, I've got the Beretta 350 or 400 and Benelli SB2 as front runners. I'll see how they both feel and go from there.

on the SBE2 when you push the shell loader up and it clicks on anything or hangs up, put it down and pick up another. You will have constant jamming problems. I've had prbs since day 1 with mine because of this and need to get a new one but haven't done it yet. good luck and shoulder the browning maxus, you may like it.

Comment

This is relevant to my interests. So far i'm trying to decide between and A400 and M2.

I'm also impressed. 49 posts in a hunting shotgun thread and not one BS story about "used it for a paddle".

Comment

I was between the SBE3 and the Beretta A400 Extreme. Having shot both gas and interia operated guns in the past, I'm partial to both as they both have their advantages and disadvantages. I picked the A400 due to comfort and how well I shot with it. I've used it all season, probably 30-40 hunts from tempatures between 15-70 degrees and with a few different brands of shells, it has operated flawlessly with zero issues.

Comment

The old " three B's" line is worn out.

I have never heard a bad word about the versa max from anyone who shoots or has shot it. Mine has ran flawless for 5 years now. I am hard on it, never clean it. Its not the lightest shotgun but it does kick significantly less than the SBEII. I would buy another one tomorrow.

Comment

My son guided goose hunts in Lubbock for a few years. He shoot a gen 1 SBE. Only gun I have seen run better the dirtier it gets. Sand and grit and all. It never fails.

Btw just seen a camo SBE 2 in the classifieds.

Comment

So I stopped by Cabelas. I had pretty much decided on the Beretta a350 when I saw the Benelli M2 for the same price. I'm stuck between the 2. I feel like I'm leaning towards the Beretta based on feel alone, assuming reliability between the 2 is a push.

They had a new Venchi for a little over 1250 too.

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
                      All you need to know.

If you really want one of those dumb inertia operated guns, save some money and get a Franchi.
                      This

Comment

Originally posted by m10 View Post
                        Franchi Intensity. Best shotgun I've ever owned
                        This is a great gun. I had it and sold it to BIL for a deal because he needed a nicer gun. I now have an SBE3 and just a little better.

Can't go wrong the Franchi, Benelli builds them

Comment

Originally posted by cookemerkel View Post
                          The old " three B's" line is worn out.

I have never heard a bad word about the versa max from anyone who shoots or has shot it. Mine has ran flawless for 5 years now. I am hard on it, never clean it. Its not the lightest shotgun but it does kick significantly less than the SBEII. I would buy another one tomorrow.
                          I think people ignoring the Versa Max is more of a reflection of feelings towards Remington the company than the Versa Max specifically.

Comment

I have the Versa Max Sportsman. It's an ok gun. I wouldn't get one again. Brother n law has the Versa Max Waterfowl and likes it. Heavy but no kick. I had to send my barrel back to Remington because it was bent. Stock keeps coming loose even after tightening. The shotgun bead sights came off. Hope that helps.

Comment

there is a used A400 in the classifieds. i think $1100.

Comment

Beretta a400
                                Benelli SBE3 or 2

Have both love both, Started with a Rem 870 and moss 500 but nothing beats the two series up above.

Comment

Working...
                                X