The other 13 thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The other 13 thread...

This deer had been seen a few miles away on a neighbors camera but never at daylight or on the hoof. We are just outside city limits of Longview and I hunt a fairly small area of woods. We think he’s a 4.5 year old and is run down from the rut. My neighbors pictures from the fall he’s a lot fatter.

Here’s some history since i discovered him.
    Sorry for the long read.

12/12/17 I hunt that morning till 9 and chk my cam on the way out. He showed up at 12:47 that morning. My first picture of him on my place!

I think he’s a 12 point with the split 2’s and climb my but back up in the tree! 10 am i see him cruising through the timber but never comes my way.

12/13/17 I hunt and don’t see a deer nor any pics of him at night.

That night my daughter tells me to go kill the tall 8 that’s been regular at my land in another county and then worry about the 12 point. I agree and say he was probably passing by looking for doe.

12/14/17 I get up early and make the 50 min. drive and put the tall 8 down at 7:40am. This is a small 25 acre property I have and the first buck I’ve taken on in.

After skinning a taking care of him, I check my camera at home.
    Crap!, he was there at 8:12 and I discover he has two splits on the right g2 making him a 13 point and earning him the unlucky name 13!

12/15/17 North wind and I’m in early. It’s cold and wind blowing 10mph. At 9:45 I haven’t seen a deer and against my better judgement and original plan I climb down to warm up. My corn pile was low so I head back up at lunch to freshen it up and as luck would have it there are 8 new pictures on my card. He was there 12 minutes after I left at 9:57! Crap!

12/16/17 I am staying all day if I have too!
    Around 9 the wind shifts from N East to East and I should have left. At 9:52 I see him coming. I know he will wind me so I get ready to shoot him as soon as he clears my lane. He’s nearly to me and I draw back anticipating the broadside shot. He stops and makes a scrap and leaves me in a bind. Finally walks closer and sticks his head into my lane 15 yrds away. All I can do is shake and feel my heart race. He panics and freezes, licking his nose smelling me. He knows it isn’t right and crow hops, turns around and walks away slowly from the way he came. I let down and sit there in disbelief.

I hunt a few more days and don’t see him and only get a few night pics. I leave for work on the 20th for two weeks and return on the 3rd.
    He made a day light appearance on the 22nd and a few night time pics between my place and my neighbor a few miles away.

1/5/18 I hunt the morning and don’t see any deer. I squeak in a coyote at 9 am and slam an arrow through him.
    Set up the evening and get circled and busted by a nice 9 with a broken brow tine. Glad or I would have drilled him!

A neighbor says he seen him cross a field the morning of the 5th near me but I haven’t seen any pictures since the 1st.

1/6/18 (this morning) I wake up and the wind is terrible from the south. Need anything west to Northern winds to hunt from my lock on.

I decide against sitting on the ground looking down the road with a rifle as I really want to take him with my bow. I check my camera this morning at 10am. What do you know. Ol 13 is there for 20 minutes at night and 15 this morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Hix; 01-06-2018, 11:17 AM.

Dang! Get him!

Comment

Sorry for the long read.

I’m trying to plan on what to do now. One day left for archery and the wind sucks. To small of a bedding area to sneak in and hang a new stand for south wind. Plus he’s hitting this corn spot hard. I can set up with a rifle head on to the road and take him on the way in. If I wait till good wind it’ll be muzzleloader season.
      Not sure what I’m gonna do. It’s going to rain tomorrow with south wind that’ll shift north at 4 am Monday.

Hunt the rain and hope he doesn’t wind me and maybe get an arrow in him. Carry a rifle for back up? Set up in the rain with just a rifle or wait for north wind and the smoke pole!

Comment

Is Sunday (the 7th) the last day you can hunt him? Looks like winds are gonna be predominately out of the south-se for the next couple days. Do you have another setup nearby that works for this wind? He sure is a nice one, hope you can get on him one way or another. Good luck!!

Comment

The other 13 thread...

I can hunt him for the next 10 days all day everyday. No other options with out blowing him out of his bedding area other than sitting on the ground and shooting him walking toward me on that road. My lock on is perpendicular to the road and can’t see down it.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Nice write up. Nice buck. Best of luck.

Comment

Good luck hope you get him

Comment

I'll follow along, good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

The other 13 thread...

I hacked a slim shooting hole through the fence row so i can sit in a chair in the field edge and see him coming up the road. I’ll be in there early in the morning waiting on him with my savage .25-06. I’ll try to keep it live.

Last edited by Hix; 01-06-2018, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Go for it! Whatever it takes. He's a good one.

Comment

Hope you get him, good write up!

Comment

Originally posted by Hix View Post
                          I hacked a slim shooting hole through the fence row so i can sit in a chair in the field edge and see him coming up the road. I’ll be in there early in the morning waiting on him with my savage .25-06. I’ll try to keep it live.

That would be my call.

Good luck tomorrow!

Comment

Good luck

Comment

If you can hunt him the next 10 days, I would keep at it with your bow! It seems that he is liking the corn, and you haven't really spooked him. It would be SO MUCH more satisfying to take him with your bow!

Don't get impatient if you have the time. Just keep at it, as frustrating as it can be. Think about how pumped you will be if you wait him out and get it done with your bow! Anybody can shoot a good buck with a rife at 200 yards, but how many can get it done with a bow at 15 yards? This buck is yours. You own him!

Comment

Working...
                              X