No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Parks and Wildlife released several hundred at our river bottom (the land that butts up to primative boat ramp) in the 80's. My dad watched them haul butt out of the trailor and he never saw one again. Ive seen them though. I always let them live. I like to watch turkey more than shooting them. I ocasionally see turkey hunters walking along the fence line in the spring.
    Last edited by gbeard; 02-18-2009, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Montec man View Post
      In the 90's I saw turkeys out there all the time, on the noth side of Willis Creek and also near the primitive boat launch. Haven't seen or heard any in quite a while though. Have a decent number of them on my lease just east of the dam though, so there's still a few in the general vicinity.
      You have turkey over there? Thats awsome! I havent see a turkey east of the dam in over 10 years. Good to hear that there are still a few.

Comment

There are some turkeys out there, but to hunt them you have to be draw.

Comment

Anyone going to Granger tonight?

I'm thinking about it.

Comment

GT, ya over there by your land is where I used to see them all the time, like walking upstream from the primitive boat launch. I was really surprised to see any on our place, but it is pretty good tyrkey habitat. Last spring there were several groups roosting in the river bottoms and also along Pecan creek. One of the flocks had two white domesticated hens with them. They're also bigger than the turkeys I'm used to seeing. I suppose they released Eastern birds over there instead of Rio Grande subspecies?

Comment

Had a great time today Gsxr man 22. We have to do it again sometime soon.

Comment

Thanks for all the Turkey responses. I wasn't sure if trying to draw a tag or not was worth it. As for me I haven't ever seen them but if they are still out there I'm sure we will start hearing them gobbling here soon.

Anybody have any luck today hog hunting? We weren't so lucky. How bout you River Rat?
                Last edited by Gsxrman_22; 02-18-2009, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Talked to the ranger today. The official # of hogs killed furing the hog shoot was 53. 23 of them below the dam. They tested them again this year and will post warnings if anything that maybe of concern comes up. Also, told them about the dead cow near 7. The ranger and the sheriffs department went out to check it out to see if it died of natural causes or was shot. Didn't see any live pigs below the dam today. Just a really big cottonmouth near the dam.

Comment

I got close to them, one sounded BIG when it growled at me. I had some corn out and they were waiting for it to get dark(or for me to leave). I got the crap out of there once it started getting dark, too scary by myself LOL. I was thinking what do I do if I shoot one? Do I track it through that thick crap in the dark by myself?

I think I will stick to morning hunts unless I have a partner.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                      I got close to them, one sounded BIG when it growled at me. I had some corn out and they were waiting for it to get dark(or for me to leave). I got the crap out of there once it started getting dark, too scary by myself LOL. I was thinking what do I do if I shoot one? Do I track it through that thick crap in the dark by myself?

I think I will stick to morning hunts unless I have a partner.
                      You could leave it till the morning but watch out for the cyotes and bobcats they may get to it before you do.

You hunting today riverrat?
                      Last edited by Gsxrman_22; 02-19-2009, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Anybody out at granger today?

Comment

Yeah

Comment

I was thinking about waiting till next week to go out again but..... if anyone eants to go Sunday mourning im game. If we can get a few guys to go and push the bloodweeds together by the PC then I will enforce martial law at my house and tell my GF Im going LOL Anyone wanna go? If we go I wanna be at the primitive campground at least a half hour before daylight so we can here were they bed up and also maybe catch some stragglers. If no one wants to then Ill be out Tueday afternoon.

Also, can I ask you guys to discribe or post pics of your hog hunting setups? I know im getting a new bow before deer season and I want to convert my deer/hog bow to a full time hog hunting set up. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Comment

Thinking of going sometime either saturday afternoon or sunday morning.

Comment

Think Im gunna head out early sunday. I would like to meet up with yall if thats alright. Still tryin to get to know the area. Do yall take boats across or walk(If so from where)? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X