No announcement yet.

Live CO mule deer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too windy for a fire so I'm watching Lonesome Dove until bedtime.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
      What did the buck look like that was bedded in the center of the cover in the bottom of your picture?

I'm not seeing a buck bedded in the brush, but there were 7 in the group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
        What elevation are yall at? Can you get up any higher? I bet those big boys are tucked up high with as hot as its been.

I agree. I've elk hunted unit 80 and 81 the last 5 years and while I find loads of does and an occasional big mule deer buck in the timber I consistently find the big bucks (170"+) in wide open bowls above 12,000'. Though my observations are a little skewed as I generally pack in and hunt the steeper areas to get away from the road and atv hunters.

Comment

[QUOTE=JustinJ;12727414]
          This has become a meat hunt now. First buck seen will be shot!

This is my tired worn out ready for some backstrap face. [\QUOTE]

Hang in there you are 5 days into a 9 day hunt. When you take into account the hunt you overslept and the golf outing you are only half way done. Most of the guys on this site would love to be able to spend the next 4 days grinding it out in the mountains. Put your spike camp on your back and go find some overlooked country that the average hunter is too lazy to tackle. Good Luck!

Comment

[quote=TradAg02;12729092]
            Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
            This has become a meat hunt now. First buck seen will be shot!

This is my tired worn out ready for some backstrap face. [\QUOTE]

Hang in there you are 5 days into a 9 day hunt. When you take into account the hunt you overslept and the golf outing you are only half way done. Most of the guys on this site would love to be able to spend the next 4 days grinding it out in the mountains. Put your spike camp on your back and go find some overlooked country that the average hunter is too lazy to tackle. Good Luck!

Hey the golf outing didn't make me miss a hunt

I'll keep grinding until Sunday or a deer no doubt!

Comment

If youre still seeing elk, would it be worth it to go get that tag and start chasing them? Whatever you decide stay at it man. Persistence pays off!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Live CO mule deer!

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                If youre still seeing elk, would it be worth it to go get that tag and start chasing them? Whatever you decide stay at it man. Persistence pays off!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If he had an elk tag too he wouldn't see any of them either! lol. Probably be covered in black bears.... [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                  If he had an elk tag too he wouldn't see any of them either! lol. Probably be covered in black bears.... [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

You're probably right! lol

Comment

I am headed to 81 next Wednsday. Are the elk still talking or any advise? Good Luck to you.

Comment

I'd go get the elk tag, but I still think i have a more realistic shot at a deer. The bulls aren't talking a ton yet, and I've only seen them from a mile away until today. Got on a great trail today but only saw a doe and fawn. Walked up on a rag horn bull on the way back to the truck. Just gotta keep pounding and it'll work out!

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
                        I am headed to 81 next Wednsday. Are the elk still talking or any advise? Good Luck to you.
                        Still up high for the most part and haven't been talking a ton. It's been warm, with a cold front coming through today. I think next week should be the perfect time!

Comment

i think you are getting closer

Comment

Read the entire thread last night. Definitely in for the updates.

Comment

Live CO mule deer!

Go higher! We found all our bucks above 12,500 with some at 14,000. Just have to keep glassing and catch them when they get up to feed. We'd glass the same area for hours before they popped out of no where. Above timberline is where you need to be
                              Last edited by James; 09-14-2017, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Good luck !! Stay at em

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X