Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How close should your pop up blind be? ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I say it's too close but it depends on your deer. The lease we are on the deer are not pressured too hard but because the browse is good they won't come into corn unless they want corn. We used to have all our bow setups between 17-25 yards but have started moving them back to 30-45. We've noticed an improvement in the type of deer showing up and they seem to be more relaxed. We run mostly tripods but our two pop up's are set up the same way. You can hand corn them in closer and I like to put the corn in thin rows perpendicular to me so they are more likely to eat broadside.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
      Brushing in is overrated. They aren't bothered by them as much as some think.
      Nothing is overrated when hunting East Texas deer where he hunts.

Most other parts of the state you are correct

Comment

I set mine at 25

Comment

I like to set up about 40yds off the feeder and hand corn to within a 25yd shot.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            Nothing is overrated when hunting East Texas deer where he hunts.

Most other parts of the state you are correct
            I don't have issues around Hunt county but I guess wether that's east Texas can be debated. I think I would start with taking the feeder down before I messed with the stand.

Comment

You're not too close to the feeder in the popup at 15 yards. Mine is at 17 and the deer don't mind it one bit.

I don't know what blind you have but if it has zip up/down windows paint the outside of them black.

Comment

Where I hunt deer are very pressured. I can set it up 20 yards away and see a lot of does and young bucks. Most older bucks in our area, come in down wind, smell me, don't blow, but just go on their way and never come in.

Thus I set up at least 80 to 100 yards from feeder. When I am hunting, I back feeder down to 2 seconds, so it still makes noise, but does not throw out much corn and then hand corn to my stand. I also am a firm believer in brushing in ground blinds.

Every ranch in Texas is different, so do what works for you. Just don't go with what works for deer in your area, go with what works for mature bucks in your area. In my experience, the difference in what you can get away with on an 18m old forky versus a 7yo mature buck is drastic.

Comment

If the corn is hitting your popup, you are too close. Most of mine are 15-18 yards. Tha make deer on far side 25 or so yards.. You are good.

Comment

25 - 30 yards. There is a lot of difference between being covered up with does and young bucks than mature old bucks Move back and hunt the wind and if the wind is not right don't hunt that stand.

Comment

I always set mine 15-20 yards from where I will have feed or a feeder. I like shots right at 18-20 yards for me and 15-18 for the wife and kiddo. We have no problem with that distance. I try to set them up in some sort of natural cover or tuck them away. I always hunt the wind and try to have setups where the deer won’t walk just right behind or downwind of me. Not every spot works perfect but that’s what I look for. Max distance to a feeder might be 25 yards with a pen in front but in that case I am putting corn out much closer.

Comment

Originally posted by scjeeptx View Post
                        I do a pop up about 50 yds off feeder, then hand corn two spots at 20-25 Yes between pop up and feeder.
                        This.

Comment

I like mine at 20

Comment

40-45yds

Comment

Originally posted by MagicBlade View Post
                              Was on a new lease this year and took a doe and spike.
                              Set my popup blind about 15 yards from my feeder.
                              I had deer all over me all season, but no shooters.
                              Is my set up to close?

How far from your feeder is your setup?

What do you recommend?
                              totally depends on the available cover, access and wind

Comment

We set ours ~30 yards out from the feeder. We hand corn between 20 and 30 yards to try and set up a shooter away from the other deer.

Comment

Working...
                                X