Drawn for Laguna Atascosa Archery Exotic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hogdaddy View Post
    wish you and the crew well with whatever is next. same story here 2 yr's ago saw one on stand, last yr none. feels like it has been done, like we rode a good horse into the ground. never looked forward so much to a place that handed out regular whoppings

when one door closes another opens, finally reached a point (retired) where i can do a two week trip spring turkey and another in fall for deer doing DIY public in Nebraska.

thinking there is going to be a large turnover of people in future, good luck to all the old faces and the new also.

final tally 2nilgai bow, 2 with gun, & whitetail buck the last day i hunted gonna miss the old girl.

Yeah we found a better alternative for nilgai. Changed phones and I don't have your number anymore. Shoot me a text and we'll talk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Man, I hate to lose my 10 points for exotics, but it sure doesn't seem very promising. Guess I should've done some research before I put in for it!

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleB20 View Post
        Man, I hate to lose my 10 points for exotics, but it sure doesn't seem very promising. Guess I should've done some research before I put in for it!
        You won't loose 10 exotic points. The NWR hunts are there own category's and this is the first year. The tpwd exotic is a different category.

Comment

Originally posted by ajcarricktx View Post
          I got drawn for the 18-22 as well. I know two others from around here that were also.
          I was also drawn for the hunt

Comment

Hope to meet some of you TBH brothers there. I will be camping at the county park.

Comment

Is it worth going?

Just found out that I got drawn today.. Is it worth going all the way down if the Nilgai are that scarce? I appreciate any input. I will also be probably going solo if someone wants to team up. Also curious how far should one go in?

Comment

I just got drawn on second draw for archery exotic. I too am debating even going. I did hear the cull was only in areas closed to hunting. So maybe it isn't too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by mhunter6 View Post
                  I just got drawn on second draw for archery exotic. I too am debating even going. I did hear the cull was only in areas closed to hunting. So maybe it isn't too bad.

Where was it that you heard that information?

Comment

Originally posted by DPerez905 View Post
                    Where was it that you heard that information?

Honestly I want to say it was on here. Perhaps one of the other threads for the deer or rifle hunts. I believe someone called the management down there and was told that the nilgai are plentiful in the hunt compartments and culled from areas closed to hunting. To be clear i have never been there or talked to anyone down there so I have no proof of that.

Comment

Only reason I'm asking is because the management is probably going to tell people that just so they don't discourage people from coming and them losing money by not having as many hunters. I don't honestly see why they would just cull from certain units when the fever tick can be carried by those in the allowed hunt units. It's obvious that hunters in the past haven't shot enough to make a dent in the population so therefore they hired the helicopters. But why would they limit them on how many nilgai can be shot and what areas?

Comment

Drawn for Laguna Atascosa Archery Exotic

Again... I will restate,I have never
                        been there but in my experience helicopter surveys/ culls are kind of overstated. I hunt a few times a year on a place near dilley. They do a survey/ hog hunt via helicopter every year and rarely do they see a fraction of the bucks and population count is always vastly smaller than camera surveys. So unless they really spent the money on multiple days flying and culling, I doubt that had a too detrimental affect. Just my opinion.

Comment

My brother in law and I were also drawn, for the dec. 2-6 hunt, and have been doing as much research as we can. My brother in law spoke to a park worker and was told the cull was done on the property north of the channel.

Comment

I me and a buddy we're also drawn for nov 18-22.

Nobody has mentioned hogs. Is this place have a good hog population?

Comment

Originally posted by ThwackAttack View Post
                              I me and a buddy we're also drawn for nov 18-22.

Nobody has mentioned hogs. Is this place have a good hog population?

Yep. Good amount of bacon there.

Comment

Originally posted by DPerez905 View Post
                                Only reason I'm asking is because the management is probably going to tell people that just so they don't discourage people from coming and them losing money by not having as many hunters. I don't honestly see why they would just cull from certain units when the fever tick can be carried by those in the allowed hunt units. It's obvious that hunters in the past haven't shot enough to make a dent in the population so therefore they hired the helicopters. But why would they limit them on how many nilgai can be shot and what areas?

They only culled in unit 4, which is closed to hunting. They are allowing hunters to attempt to clean up the populations in other units before deciding if they need to cull hunting units after season. That info came from the visitor center staff.

Be still, Be Quiet, Be ready.
                                D.

Comment

Working...
                                X