Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Near Fort Worth

Comment

Dang. If your even down my way just holler. In the meantime what I bought to begin was the kit that cabelas sells. It has a hide in it

Comment

Originally posted by Ballcoach10 View Post
        Dang. If your even down my way just holler. In the meantime what I bought to begin was the kit that cabelas sells. It has a hide in it
        Thank you. Ill have to go look into that kit also.

Comment

This is Sarge. Never trained, just took to it. He will trail at a faster pace than I can walk , so I keep him on a leash while trailing. And yes, he is spoiled rotten, but I love him.

Well, pic will not load ! Trust me , he's better looking than I am !

Comment

Tuco in your experiences will it hurt my dog to take her on a wounded hog?

I know you mentioned to get beef blood I was just wondering of I have messed up letting her practice on hogs?

I can’t speak from experience on that.

But I have seen Buff’s Dog Bagley track both deer & hogs, and she does not discriminate when it comes to a wounded animal.

She is relentless, and will hunt either one down with equal animosity.

He uses a lead rope when he puts her on a track.

Comment

Originally posted by TUCO View Post
              I can’t speak from experience on that.

But I have seen Buff’s Dog Bagley track both deer & hogs, and she does not discriminate when it comes to a wounded animal.

She is relentless, and will hunt either one down with equal animosity.

He uses a lead rope when he puts her on a track.

Ok, that's what I have heard is that blood is blood.. I run a lead simply because of our hog problems and I don't want mine getting tangled up in something that will hurt her

Thanks for your advice

Comment

Ok, that's what I have heard is that blood is blood.. I run a lead simply because of our hog problems and I don't want mine getting tangled up in something that will hurt her

Thanks for your advice
                I have been told by several folks that they shy away from using hog blood to train their dogs.

I can’t say for certain why, but it might be because of the different kind of bad stuff that the hog blood might contain versus cattle blood.

Comment

Just bought a lighted collar for mine for night tracking! The book I read that taught me about training my pup said to have a designated collar for tracking so he knows when to go into hunt mode, so I found a really nice one online. I'll let y'all know how it works

Comment

Originally posted by AggieArcher View Post
                    Just bought a lighted collar for mine for night tracking! The book I read that taught me about training my pup said to have a designated collar for tracking so he knows when to go into hunt mode, so I found a really nice one online. I'll let y'all know how it works
                    They will figure it out pretty quick on there own. As soon as he sees the tracking collar my dog about turns himself inside out and runs to the back of the truck to try and load up.

Best tracking story I have is the daddy of my catahoula is just a flat out tracking beast. One of our hunters called in an said he had shot a buck and had followed blood a little ways and lost it. We loaded up Speck and headed their way. About a 1/4 of a mile from the stand we r driving down the road and speck starts bawling and barking from the back of the truck. My buddy says he smells that deer. I said what ??? No way. He stops the truck and speck bails out and he finds that deer about 75 yards off the side of the road !! You should have seen their faces when we pulled up with the deer in the back of the truck. Just out of curiosity I asked them which way the deer had run after they shot. They pointed in exactly the opposite direction from where we had found the deer.

Comment

Here's Mickey, our 12 week old Crack Russell Terrier. I've only had him on about 1/2 dozen mock trails so far. I bought 3 pints of pork blood at an Asian Msrket in China Town. So far I have been pretty generous with the blood on the tracks but now I have a chunk of hide that I bought from Dog Bone that I'm going to start using with a lot less blood. I also bought their blood tracking scent, they claim its made from deer blood??

Comment

Originally posted by huntingfanatic View Post

They will figure it out pretty quick on there own. As soon as he sees the tracking collar my dog about turns himself inside out and runs to the back of the truck to try and load up.

Best tracking story I have is the daddy of my catahoula is just a flat out tracking beast. One of our hunters called in an said he had shot a buck and had followed blood a little ways and lost it. We loaded up Speck and headed their way. About a 1/4 of a mile from the stand we r driving down the road and speck starts bawling and barking from the back of the truck. My buddy says he smells that deer. I said what ??? No way. He stops the truck and speck bails out and he finds that deer about 75 yards off the side of the road !! You should have seen their faces when we pulled up with the deer in the back of the truck. Just out of curiosity I asked them which way the deer had run after they shot. They pointed in exactly the opposite direction from where we had found the deer.
                        Good story hf....

Comment

Stud!!!

Comment

Now that's a tracker

Comment

2 more of Red from today
                              Attached Files

Comment

Today
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X