TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red

This is Red he turned 9 weeks Tuesday hoping to make a great tracker out of him. Just waiting to receive a deer ear in the mail. Thanks tuco! Red is NALC and has one glass eye and a green one. He's a thousand miles a minute and is putting on good weight. We feed him purina pro plan, which contains 28% protein. Hope u all enjoy great thread tuco!
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

This is Jesse. She's about 16 weeks.

Picking up some blood and hide from keep this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Ballcoach10 View Post

Say tuco did you get that blood from a meat market or something?
          Originally posted by TUCO View Post

It came from a processing plant/slaughter house.

I will go back and find the post on how I processed the blood, and post it up for you.

Here it is:

"Call up one of your local locker plants and ask then what their schedule is.

(They usually start killing early in the morning, and ranchers usually bring their stock in early.)

Then show up with a couple of five gallon buckets (w/ lids) just before they start killing. Tell them you want fresh blood from today’s kills, not blood that has been sitting in a bucket for several days intended to be used for catfish bait. You want beef blood, not hog.

The blood will start congealing immediately; so the sooner you get the blood the better. If you come back hours later, or at the end of the day to pick the blood up, you will have a big bucket of blood jello.

Bring a cordless drill and a paint mixer attachment. As soon as you get the blood, blend it thoroughly until it becomes all liquid again. This will prevent the blood from coagulating a second time.

When you get the blood home blend it again, then strain it through a large colander into another bucket, throwing away all the strained material.

You will need to rinse the colander off frequently because it gets clogged up. A big metal mesh pasta colander that is made to put over a kitchen sink works well for this. You can get one at Wal-Mart.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Strainer.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	24312754

Pick up a case or two of cheap bottled water to use for containers. Get a small funnel and fill each bottle about three quarters full, then put in the freezer with the tops off. Then replace tops after frozen."

Comment

I started my little gut on a few small trails so far. I blended up beef livers with water. Put it in a water bottle with a small hole in the lid, and drip drip drip. HE did pretty good so far.

Comment

Cool thread tuco great idea !!

Comment

Originally posted by TUCO View Post
                Here it is:

"Call up one of your local locker plants and ask then what their schedule is.

(They usually start killing early in the morning, and ranchers usually bring their stock in early.)

Then show up with a couple of five gallon buckets (w/ lids) just before they start killing. Tell them you want fresh blood from today’s kills, not blood that has been sitting in a bucket for several days intended to be used for catfish bait. You want beef blood, not hog.

The blood will start congealing immediately; so the sooner you get the blood the better. If you come back hours later, or at the end of the day to pick the blood up, you will have a big bucket of blood jello.

Bring a cordless drill and a paint mixer attachment. As soon as you get the blood, blend it thoroughly until it becomes all liquid again. This will prevent the blood from coagulating a second time.

When you get the blood home blend it again, then strain it through a large colander into another bucket, throwing away all the strained material.

You will need to rinse the colander off frequently because it gets clogged up. A big metal mesh pasta colander that is made to put over a kitchen sink works well for this. You can get one at Wal-Mart.

[ATTACH]630138[/ATTACH]

Pick up a case or two of cheap bottled water to use for containers. Get a small funnel and fill each bottle about three quarters full, then put in the freezer with the tops off. Then replace tops after frozen."

Thank you much tuco. You da man

Comment

Tuco in your experiences will it hurt my dog to take her on a wounded hog? I know you mentioned to get beef blood I was just wondering of I have messed up letting her practice on hogs?

Comment

I have a Beagle that is a year and a half. I have worked her on a number of artificial lines. Unfortunately, no actual animals yet. My artificial lines are aged about 6 hours and she does not have much trouble with them. So, I have some questions for the folks that have been training a while.

How much space do you normally put between each drip of blood? Do you base it on your dog's performance? if so, what is reasonable goal for spacing for your dog to achieve?

Do you use deer scent on the line (ie Hide tied to your feet as you walk) or just leave a piece of deer hide at the end of the line?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                      Nice dog! Good tracking too.
                      Thanks Chew. You are gonna love your catahoula. They are something else

Comment

deer hide

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                        Anybody around Houston area have a piece of deer hide I can steal from ya? =)
                        I have one for you Bobby.

Comment

Great thread. I've been trying some scent trails (no blood yet) and can't get my houla to focus. I swear it's like she has ADD. It's been a bear just trying to train her simple commands. She does fine when you have treats in hand, after that she won't even flinch when you call her name. Especially when she sees the cows. First hunting type dog for me so it's been as much of a learning experience for me as it has her. She's got a heck of a nose, just trying to figure out how to harness it. Will be following this closely.

Also interested in the blood differences. Not sure I have time to get to a locker, but the beef liver idea sounds do-able.

Comment

just a heads up on the beef liver thing. It is nasty as heck making it lol. I was gagging like crazy pouring it in a bottle.

Comment

Anybody have any extra deer hide a feller could get?

Comment

Originally posted by JANSLEY817 View Post
                                Anybody have any extra deer hide a feller could get?

Where you located?

Comment

Working...
                                X