No announcement yet.

How about some fall food plot pics and such

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

too embarrassed to show mine, haven't had any rain since putting em in. They look nothing like what yall are posting.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
      looks like my turnip plot last year....deer or hogs wont touch it. never again
      I had the same experience with turnips. Nothing ate them. I even pulled some up and the hogs wouldn't eat them. Like you said, never again....

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
        I don't have any pics of my creek bottom plot at Mt. Enterprise, but the wheat in the exclusion cage is about a foot tall, so looks can be decieving as far as how much forage has actually been available. This pic is in Trinity Co. where I planted GRO Mass Builder. I've not had over 2.5 to 3 inches of rain on this since I planted, but I got some Sunday, although I don't know how much. There's a feeder at the end of the plot, but as Houston Hunter said, the deer stay in the plot mostly and don't eat that much corn.
        Are those Bald Eagles?

Comment

I wonder why you guys haven’t had luck with the turnips? Has to be cold for them to become palatable, that might be it. I don’t notice them eating turnips until we’re consistently in the 20s at night.

This is the edge of a smaller 3 acre plot that I have a bowstand in. All those turnips will be gone in Jan/Feb!
          Attached Files

Comment

We planted around 6 acres of fall plots and got 2-inches the first week, everything came up great and then all of it died and burned. We went back in and disked in elbon rye in the 3-acre field at the beginning of Nov. but haven't gotten any rain. That being said, the elbon rye is still somehow sprouting a small number of areas. We have 100% chance of rain tonight and tomorrow so I'm hoping it will help, but I've already waved the white flag for the 2017 fall food plots for our area.

Comment

Originally posted by macguyverberry View Post
              Are those Bald Eagles?
              Yep, had three of them in front of me once. They were chewing on a pig that ran into a 140gr SGK.

Comment

They have been eating all the green off the turnips and they are also eating the actual radish bulbs. I will get some pics Friday. Been so dry my plots are not keeping up with the deer. One of the 1/4 acre plots they have eaten down to dirt.
                I was hog hunting last Friday night and got treed by a big skunk, stayed up high for about 30 minutes while he rooted around the turnips and radishes. No hogs just skunks.

Comment

My 1st attempt plots were doing ok a couple wks ago but a month w/o rain and browsing has got the clover down. Antler king honey hole (turnips/rape) are doing ok but I don't know why the plot was so spotty.

They are mowing down the small wheat/rye plot, but we got rid of 1 wheat-eater last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mountaineer that is what it is all about right there. We have a spike that looks to be fairly old(old enough to have a brisket) and he is legal to take. Maybe just maybe I can fling an arrow at him this weekend.

Its raining in Wilson this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
                      My plot came in real good this year. Rain came just in time.

Deer won't even touch the corn but they'll sit in this field all day. More of it to the left of this pic.

Good looking spot! Maybe another batch of fertilizer on it, they'll pour into it even more. Looks to have a slight yellow tint. I usually fertilized when I plant then again before a big rain after it's up good

Comment

Daikon Radishes, Turnips, Mustard greens, elbon rye and wheat. I want to add chicory to it next year. This was a few weeks ago. With the way it has been dry I can't wait to see how they will come to it at the end of the year. I have varying opinions on the corn. To me they are eating way more corn than last year. I expect late season and muzzleloader to be really good on this plot of it will stay cold. I havnt been in there in a few weeeks. It's my honey hole and I'm waiting on one deer to come back to it.

Comment

Usually plant a mix of oats, peas, and soybean in Sept on one half of the plots then wheat on the other half in Oct. Threw in some turnips this year, and the deer loved them early season. Nothing can compete with the acorns right now.

Comment

Elbon Rye with 40' strip of Durana clover edge following wood line
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Plan B View Post
                              Elbon Rye with 40' strip of Durana clover edge following wood line
                              November 17th
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                                too embarrassed to show mine, haven't had any rain since putting em in. They look nothing like what yall are posting.
                                If it dont start growing after this rain, you could throw some seed out yet and try again

Comment

Working...
                                X