Self made yarn string silencers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self made yarn string silencers

So I bought a Martin Jaguar takedown recurve at Cabelas for $71 (marked down from a couple hundred) to I thought, "what the heck". Until I shot it.....

Geez, that thing loud as thunder and the vibration shook ur inner core. To the contrary, this bow was very accurate and just felt good in my hand.

I needed some silencers and beaver balls wasn't gonna cut it. So after a quick search, I found out people been using wool and acrylic yarn for years.

I rushed to walmart to find wool yarn but they dont sell wool yarn anymore. But alas! I found a ball of 80% acrylic and 20% wool on the clearance rack in a grayish camp pattern.

I wrapped a couple wounds around my finger and placed them in the string. I Twisted that bad boy up and cut the ends. After that, I shot about 20'times to fray it. Trim. 20 more. Trim. 20 more. Trim.

Now they look as awesome as the bow sounds! Super quite and only a little hand shock (aluminum riser). I was really impressed.

From here on out, I shall never pay for beaver again.........

Discount clearance yarn:

Since this was double twist yarn, it did t take as many wraps. I used 20 which was way too many. After 20 shots, the puffs where as big as crab apples:

Finished puffs:

Comment

awesome, I will have to try that

Comment

Yes sir! That's one way of doing it. Same way I do mine. You can get real creative with the colors!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1948.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	24398998
        Last edited by bassmatt72; 08-19-2015, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Yep, been making my own silencers out of wool yarn for years. Hobby Lobby and Michael's have a pretty good selection next time you need some.

Bisch

Comment

You can get wool yarn at hobby lobby and in camo. I can make a zillion of the now

Comment

Yep. Been making my own yarn silencers since Arvin Weaver built Moses his first bow.

I don't bother with wool yarn. The acrylic has always worked well for me. Nothing wrong with the wool either.

Rick

Comment

Hey it was a good one . And his had class. His had beaver balls. And thin string and more quiet than any recurve and most all long bows. Lol arvin. Rick you knew I would find this one. That's scarey.
                Last edited by Selfbowman; 08-19-2015, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Arvin, I thought them was camel balls.

Rick

Comment

For the less talented, like me, can you describe the process. Would like to do it

Comment

Originally posted by RTC View Post
                      For the less talented, like me, can you describe the process. Would like to do it

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9XHGcyeFSnU"]How to make a bow string silencer - YouTube[/ame]

Instead of a plastic hanger, I used an altoid can.

Comment

You wrap yarn around three fingers -big running fork about 10 -14 times . Then tie some serving string around the middle and tie tight leavening tails on the string. Take sizzors and cut thru all loops on both ends. Split string apart at middle and tie in place with the tails of seving string . Cut excess off and string bow and trimm accordingly. Arvin

Comment

That's qute.

Comment

Originally posted by Selfbowman View Post
                            You wrap yarn around three fingers -big running fork about 10 -14 times . Then tie some serving string around the middle and tie tight leavening tails on the string. Take sizzors and cut thru all loops on both ends. Split string apart at middle and tie in place with the tails of seving string . Cut excess off and string bow and trimm accordingly. Arvin
                            I put the puff thru the string before I cut the loops. Much easier that way.

Bisch

Comment

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
                              X