• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KR-oldmexico View Post
    Hellllll just give us mid $60's!
    Baby steps

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
      What does any of this have to do with what was talked about?

Yea some of those meeting and things are not paid but some are. They were simply pointing out the hours actually put in from experience. Also nobody here wanted sympathy for being gone. Believe it or not we realize we chose this and are ok with it.

Someone made the statement that working half the year at 12hr days was a lot more hours than a "normal" 40 hour week.

Stating the actual hours worked(overtime), is irrelevant.
      Many jobs have extensive overtime in addition to the stated hours.
      The oilfield is not unique in that aspect.
      That was my point.
      I was attacked for introducing some facts. I apologize for that.

Comment

Originally posted by denowt View Post
        Someone made the statement that working half the year at 12hr days was a lot more hours than a "normal" 40 hour week.

That was my point.

Are you still here???

We get it baby! Now move along!!!

Comment

It's different work but those that clear it have worked their way into that. Half the year working 12hrs a day is still quite a bit and more than 40hrs a week all year.
          Originally posted by denowt View Post

That was my point.
          That's not what I said read it slower.

I said it quite a bit AND more not quite a bit more

Comment

Getting back to things that matter I'm headed home and should be done working for the month. I'll get to spend time with the two prettiest girls in Texas until my little boy makes his appearance

Comment

Getting back to things that matter I'm headed home and should be done working for the month. I'll get to spend time with the two prettiest girls in Texas until my little boy makes his appearance

Good deal brother!!! Save up so you can go south of the border with Dean on the new place! It's amazing!

Comment

Good deal brother!!! Save up so you can go south of the border with Dean on the new place! It's amazing!
                Shoot that's been set aside I'll be there

Comment

Shoot that's been set aside I'll be there

Awesome!!! I'll try and be there too!!!

Comment

Why would anyone want to "save" up for a hunting trip, south of the border, when they don't have a job? I am not trying to stir the pot, by any means, but I am curious about that. I can see where some people (not me) would relate this to "oil guys make all that money and spend it on luxuries, then get upset with oil prices drop and they have nothing left". To me, that money that I saved up, when I don't have a job, should be spent on things that support my family, as opposed to a hunting trip? Just trying to justify it, in my simple mind, and was hoping someone could help me out with that, and provide me a way to see another point of view.

Comment

Originally posted by coach_em_up View Post
                      why would anyone want to "save" up for a hunting trip, south of the border, when they don't have a job? I am not trying to stir the pot, by any means, but i am curious about that. I can see where some people (not me) would relate this to "oil guys make all that money and spend it on luxuries, then get upset with oil prices drop and they have nothing left". To me, that money that i saved up, when i don't have a job, should be spent on things that support my family, as opposed to a hunting trip? Just trying to justify it, in my simple mind, and was hoping someone could help me out with that, and provide me a way to see another point of view.
                      smh

Comment

Originally posted by wtx223 View Post
                        smh
                        Why are you shaking your head? I was just curious. Do you have an answer anywhere in your shaking head or do you just want to chastise me, for a real question, coming from a person that does not know about the oil field?

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
                          Why would anyone want to "save" up for a hunting trip, south of the border, when they don't have a job? I am not trying to stir the pot, by any means, but I am curious about that. I can see where some people (not me) would relate this to "oil guys make all that money and spend it on luxuries, then get upset with oil prices drop and they have nothing left". To me, that money that I saved up, when I don't have a job, should be spent on things that support my family, as opposed to a hunting trip? Just trying to justify it, in my simple mind, and was hoping someone could help me out with that, and provide me a way to see another point of view.

Pretty sure the guy he was talking to has a job.

Comment

Hey Oilfield Guys!!

Why are you shaking your head? I was just curious. Do you have an answer anywhere in your shaking head or do you just want to chastise me, for a real question, coming from a person that does not know about the oil field?

He has a job and a **** good one! I appreciate your input but maybe you should go "coach yourself up" on reading brother!!!! Thanks for your contribution to this thread.......

Save up so you too could one day take a hunting trip! I'm sure you deserve it!

Edit.........
                            Also do a little research on the guy you are talking about....... He's the one that started this thread encouraging people to save up as he has done to be prepared for days like this!!! As I have..... He's been through these down turns and was trying to give advise in advance to those that have not!

Thanks again!!!
                            Last edited by KR-oldmexico; 08-19-2015, 11:16 AM.

Comment

No worries.. I am still working and should be unless things get so nasty the whole drilling side completely shuts down. In the case that happens I will be just fine also. My family comes first just like anyone else who has their **** straight

These guys know a little more about me than you is all it is

By the way even when it's booming I "save up" seperate from regular accounts for big trips
                              Last edited by bphillips; 08-19-2015, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                                I worked the 7/7 or 14/14 route for 12 years. To someone who is ignorant of the reality of the job, your numbers would look correct, but they aren't. Every company I worked for had a 30min pre tour meeting. Nabors and H&P have a 30min post your meeting. At least once a week you have a RSMT Meetinf, that one is an hour. You also have quarterly compliance training and there's so much of that it's crazy. If you work 14/14 it works out to 2-5 days of meetings on your days off that are anywhere from 8-12hrs a day, every 2nd or 3rd days off.

Then you move up to driller... You still have all of those meetings, but I always went in about 15min earlier to get paper work lined out for the guys and catch up on what happened on my 12hrs off. Every 2 years you get to go to a 4 day well control class. When you make relief you'll do hand overs with your relief for anywhere from 15min to an hour depending on the situation.

Then one day you move up to Toolpusher. Your day starts at 4am. You prepare the meetings that will take place at 5:30. Go over e mails that came through while you were napping. Review reports and have the driller fix this or that. About the time that gets fixed the CoMan calls and wants it changed back. Reports sent off at 5:30, lead the safety meeting and if you're really lucky you'll have about an hour to take a shower and eat breakfast. Your day is going to end around 11pm. IF operations are going smooth. I've been on the rig floor for as much as 3 consecutive days without sleep. At the end of day 2, you're 8hrs into a "normal" job's overtime.

When I went directional drilling, it was still pretty similar. There's always new operations and things to be learned. I probably averaged 14-16hrs a day, and worked around 25 days a month.

All that is to show that your math isn't really spot on.

There's guys that say things like, "I only do about 2hrs of work a day." What they're saying is, they've busted their nuts for a lifetime to get where they are and only do about 2hrs of physical labor a day. I've done both. I worked my way from the wormiest Floorhand you ever saw to a good tool pusher and a pretty fair directional driller. I've seen both sides of the quarter and I'll take the physical labor over the mental labor EVERY SINGLE TIME.
                                Thanks for the informed reply. Its funny how all who have responded say it takes decades of work, or extreme luck to make 6 fig salaries, working ungodly hours, yet previously in the thread folks were sharing about 250-400k salaries were common for 20-30 something year olds who are out buying all sorts of toys...kinda conflicting information; all i know is i will keep my indoor a/c office desk job @ 40hrs a week thanks, work a little on the side and enjoy life with family.

Comment

Working...
                                X