No announcement yet.

Bush gun, what should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is always the Teddy Roosevelt gun. https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...hester-rifles/
    The .405 is a bad momma but it might be a bit on the heavy side.
    Last edited by muzzlebrake; 10-17-2019, 06:04 AM.

Comment

I have a bunch of lever actions, including the 35 rem, which is my official answer.

But the truth is that I grab the 357 lever action every time, since I always have my 357 revolver on my hip.

It's just easier....and if I really need it, I can use two shots

Comment

The Mossberg 500 youth 20 gauge has particulars that lend it to this kind of use like a shorter stock and especially the pump action is located closer to the receiver for a shorter throw. I use this in shotgun only areas all the time.

It is way more bulky than a rifle

It does not hit as hard

The for-end rattles at the wrong time every time where you have to develop a technique of using your thumb and booger finger against the barrel to keep it quiet.

An SA-20 is a better option in that regard

Comment

I'd say all the answers above will work but if your gut is saying 45-70 I'd get the 45-70. Skip the scope and put good irons on it. I've got skinner irons on mine and it really changed how well I can shoot it.

Comment

Ruger American Ranch in .450 Bushmaster with a Red dot. It's cheap and compact with a 16" barrell. Perfect for this application.

Comment

45-70 is the perfect brush gun! IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                Best suggestion so far, if actually in the brush and need a beater gun.

I like lever guns and own a bunch in all kind of calibers, but a 30-30 or 35 Rem in a saddle carbine would be hard to beat for a back up rifle in Texas.
                Yep. People with no experience with one are surprised when they finally shoot or handle a real slug gun with a 22" barrel. I have a 64 gun safe full of high dollar rifles and glass. I routinely grab one of my slug guns these days.

Comment

I use my 30-30. Doesn't have near the kick of a 45-70.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                    35 remington is mine.
                    Mine too!

Comment

I have two brush guns. One being a Marlin 45-70 w/iron sights and the other a Ruger M77 Frontier in 300WSM.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                        35 remington is mine.
                        ditto

Comment

Great choice. 45-70 gov in a 18inch gun. That would be my choice, only draw is how loud it is!

Comment

My knock out gun is a Ruger .44 magnum carbine.

Comment

Originally posted by COPPERHEAD View Post
                              I shoot a 6" barrel in the bush. Depending on the cougar the barrel could be longer.......
                              I see what you did there...well played sir

Comment

Old reliable- Marlin 30-30. Dependable, durable, accurate up to 100 yards yet great brush rifle, great knock down punch, affordable rifle/ammo, and doesn't kick too hard.

Comment

Working...
                                X