Dead or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
    prayers up for family and friends... congrats on the pup, but your workn hard for a pig thats gut shot.

Can we take a step back and talk about how we are bowfishing pigs now lol. I have never seen this string tracker sombody fill me in lol
    Those were all the rage back in the late 80s. A light weight string is attached to the arrow and feeds out as the animal runs off. Follow the string to the dead animal. If nothing else you would get a good line on it's travel direction.

Faster compounds would break off the string and most shots would be pass through shots so as bows got faster they fell out of popularity.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DRT; 06-06-2017, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
      Those were all the rage back in the late 80s. A light weight string is attached to the arrow and feeds out as the animal runs off.

Faster compounds would break off the string and most shots would be pass through shots so as bows got faster they fell out of popularity.

Huh, learn somthing new everyday

... wonder if that string is heavier and weaker than 65 or 80 lb braided fishing line...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

A lot weaker.

Comment

Similar to floss.

Comment

They come in 17 or 30 lb test line. I've had several pass through a that broke off and several that didn't. It usually depends on the cover. Lots of vines and briars tend to get a thorn in them and cause a break. The line drags thru brush very easily. I've had several lines over 300 yrds to a dead hog. The hog in my avatar went well over 300 yrds with a single lung hit. It's been about 50-50 on wether or not the line breaks in my experience.
            I've used them with compounds with about the same results.
            I won't hog hunt with out one unless I'm doing some spot and stalk. It's has saved my "bacon" several times!

Comment

It would break within 10 feet of my now with my Darton. Of course I was drawing 83 lbs.

Comment

prayers sent

Comment

You may not find it but at least it's a dead pig

Comment

String trackers are more than handy for turkeys also. Best tip I ever got was when it's brand new is to pull out about 200 feet before ever using it. There is a measurable amount of resistance at first but 200 feet later the string almost falls out. Keeps it from altering the arrow path out to 25yards or so.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the video!

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
                        They come in 17 or 30 lb test line. I've had several pass through a that broke off and several that didn't. It usually depends on the cover. Lots of vines and briars tend to get a thorn in them and cause a break. The line drags thru brush very easily. I've had several lines over 300 yrds to a dead hog. The hog in my avatar went well over 300 yrds with a single lung hit. It's been about 50-50 on wether or not the line breaks in my experience.
                        I've used them with compounds with about the same results.
                        I won't hog hunt with out one unless I'm doing some spot and stalk. It's has saved my "bacon" several times!

Yeah but that hog is HUGE! I imagine the one lung he had left was still providing more air than two lungs in a normal sized hog.

Richard.

Comment

God bless your friends and their family.

Cool video. This is the first time Ive seen a string tracker in action. Pretty awesome. After tracking the string out does it get wound back up on a spool or just shoved back inside? What keeps the string from tangling on the inside?

Thanks all for sharing every bit of info.

Comment

The string is spun from the outside in. That way when it pulls out it unspools from the inside and is less likely to tangle. You can not respool it. When done you have to manually wrap/roll it up and discard. The 17# line is 1/2 mile long. I accidentally got one tangl d one time when leaving one of my hunting spots on public ground and diddnt notice it till I got to the truck. I didn't want anyone to be able to follow it in the direction of where I was hunting. It takes a LONG time to roll up a half mile of string by hand! Lol

Comment

Most definitely prayers for that family Randy! Prayers for all involved, including your wife. May Gods comfort, grace, and healing, be a strong presence with them right now. On the hog note, maybe he's dead, maybe he ain't... But at least he knows you're there, and ain't playing! That's funny bout the sting trail to your public land honey hole! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

How do you attach the string to the arrow? Bow fishing is a slider , so how does it tie to a hunting arrow? It is a cool idea especially if hunting alone and don't have the extra am set of eyes to track.

Comment

Working...
                                X