No announcement yet.

venison recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pinwheels. A little trickier than with beef or pork.

Fillet out the backstrap: 'unroll it' until it is flat and about 1/4 inch thick. season as you prefer, then Add a layer of spinach, top with feta cheese, then roll it back up, secure with butcher string. Grill/smoke or bake. Slice it crossways, it will look like a pinwheel. Pretty dang good.

Comment

Venison Pot Stickers are Pan fried Dumplings filled with ground venison mixed with garlic, ginger, and other spices, then steam fried in a skillet and served with a soy dipping sauce.

Comment

Family seriously lived on venison as maybe 75% of meat in out diet for years. I think I became a pro but lot of error on the way. 1'st is original handling. Learn to quarter. Goal is to be skinned quarters on ice within an hour after harvesting. The hide leave a lot of wild scent if left long. 2nd let it age a bit on ice. Not a lot but 2 or 3 days is good. Note meats do age slightly even in the freezer. You should notice the later in the year meat more tender. Remove all fat!!!! It is awful. I never ground anything unless for breakfast sausage. Most any piece large or small loves being whacked with a tenderizer handle. A little Worsetershire and flour and into the grease. Do not make old fashioned gravy with the rendering. Steaks soaked in favorite spices and Italion or wine vinigar is awesome. Wait at least a day before grilling. And a big roast can be foil wrapped covered in pepper and a little garlic (bacon is very nice add on) and slow smoked for many hours. Obvious cut across the grain as muhc as possible. Cutting up the quarter? I separate almost each muscle and sort it for various uses. It also make a good crock pot stew with carrots, potatoes etc. Neck meat is a hastle but so good. The ribs, I quit barbQing them. If a deer was very big I use a fish filet knife and get some of the best jerky meat from between the bone. I smoke dry the jerky after soakin in wine vinegar and spices. Takes 2 to 3 days of constant attention but man is it good. Of course it is covered in pepper at beginning which half falls off so not stupid amount when eating. Long winded great memories comments. Sorry but hope it helped. I am always learning.

Comment

Oh and one thing I had a hard time with was eating it medium to rare. I used to say "this backstrap is tough". Get it well done and need some good chompers. Same with steaks. I ruined a lot of meat overcooking. Live and learn. (I figured wild game which most is so clean compared to grocery store choice needed extra cook time. Wrong!) My slow smoked items and fried is different. This for lean red steaks and tender loin and backstrap to clarify.
          Last edited by toomuchsun; 10-19-2019, 12:59 PM. Reason: mispelling

Comment

Originally posted by Bowdark View Post

Fillet out the backstrap: 'unroll it' until it is flat and about 1/4 inch thick. season as you prefer, then Add a layer of spinach, top with feta cheese, then roll it back up, secure with butcher string. Grill/smoke or bake. Slice it crossways, it will look like a pinwheel. Pretty dang good.
            Man that sounds so good. Now if I can get some backstrap. Seriously, it sounds like an add to my recipes. Thanks.

Comment

These are really good. I also like to butterfly the backstrap and stuff it with sautéed spinach, onions and mushrooms that have been cooked in garlic and butter, add cooked crab if you like. Stuff into the backstrap, truss and throw into a cast iron pan. Seat and then throw in the oven at 375 till medium rare

Comment

Check out deer meat for dinner on YouTube. He has lots of wild game cooking segments.

Comment

I do the exact same except i saute mushrooms add pepper jack cheese and spinach and cook until 131 degrees either baked or grilled. Delicious.

Comment

Throw a roast in a crockpot with some broth and seasonings and make pulled venison. My favorite is to use neck roast but any roast will do. Makes great tacos.

Wet brine it and make corned venison with one of the roasts. I make a few every year. Like corned beef. Just google a corned venison recipe and it will get you started. Makes awesome sandwiches.

Chilli is always great. If you don't have a grinder (Hand grinders are relatively cheap) then you can dice the meat up. I can give a chili recipe if interested. or any kind of stew.

Canned venison. Check out the Meat Eater recipe.

Hind leg roasts can make pretty good steaks. If you make steaks out of them cook them whole and cut the steaks out when done. I do the same for backstrap, which is the best steaks. Never cook over 130°F. I put it in the oven at 220°F and when it reaches an internal temp of about 120°F I take it out and turn the broiler on. When the oven is heated up I put it back in and pull when it reaches around 127°F.

In a dutch oven saute celery, onion, and (carrot or poblano) in some oil. Put a roast in the dutch oven and cover about halfway with chicken stock and a cup of white wine. Add a can of tomato paste. Add whatever seasonings and herbs you like. Cook in the oven at 275°F until roast falls apart. Serve over rice.

Plenty of other stuff you can make with it if you can grind it or mince it. Sauces, hamburgers, etc.

Comment

Needed to see this 45 minutes ago. I want to stuff some strap tonight and settled on cream cheese, jalapeños, diced onion and going to brown some walnuts as well. Stuff in a butterflied strap and bacon wrap.

Comment

Ended up overcooking it a tad bit for my liking.

Going to do that this week, might add some mushrooms and pine nuts. Thanks for the idea, hopefully I don't screw this one up too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you're going to cook the bacon until it's done your going to overcook the venison.

Comment

Originally posted by thisisbeer View Post
                            Throw a roast in a crockpot with some broth and seasonings and make pulled venison. My favorite is to use neck roast but any roast will do. Makes great tacos.

Wet brine it and make corned venison with one of the roasts. I make a few every year. Like corned beef. Just google a corned venison recipe and it will get you started. Makes awesome sandwiches.

Chilli is always great. If you don't have a grinder (Hand grinders are relatively cheap) then you can dice the meat up. I can give a chili recipe if interested. or any kind of stew.

Canned venison. Check out the Meat Eater recipe.

Hind leg roasts can make pretty good steaks. If you make steaks out of them cook them whole and cut the steaks out when done. I do the same for backstrap, which is the best steaks. Never cook over 130°F. I put it in the oven at 220°F and when it reaches an internal temp of about 120°F I take it out and turn the broiler on. When the oven is heated up I put it back in and pull when it reaches around 127°F.

In a dutch oven saute celery, onion, and (carrot or poblano) in some oil. Put a roast in the dutch oven and cover about halfway with chicken stock and a cup of white wine. Add a can of tomato paste. Add whatever seasonings and herbs you like. Cook in the oven at 275°F until roast falls apart. Serve over rice.

Plenty of other stuff you can make with it if you can grind it or mince it. Sauces, hamburgers, etc.

This was great, thank you

Comment

I highly recommend grabbing the meat eater book and Hank Shaw’s book BUCK, BUCK, MOOSE

Comment

Originally posted by TexanDuke View Post
                                I highly recommend grabbing the meat eater book and Hank Shaw’s book BUCK, BUCK, MOOSE

Yep. And plenty of recipes on Hank Shaws website.

https://honest-food.net/wild-game/venison-recipes/

Comment

Working...
                                X