Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening to whenever. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Big Bend questions..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Bend questions..

Planning on taking my son out to big bend for a few days during spring break to camp, hike, shoot some photography, etc. Im looking at Big bend ranch state park or Big bend nat'l park. Any recommendations, particular campsites, safety concerns, etc? I have a 17 Tacoma trd offroad with a 6" lift, will this get me to the driveable remote campsites? Never been but we are looking forward to it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

The National park will be packed. But you got a good truck so hit the primitive roads and you will have a good time. The State park does not get as much traffic and the roads will eat a set of tires but I am starting to prefer going out there because you see less people.

Comment

I've never been during a peak time like Spring Break. To my understanding, camping spaces are at a premium and first come first served, at least at the nat'l park. I've only ever driven into and then back out of the state park. Really, super remote. Like, 30 miles to the headquarters on a road you can only drive 10-15mph on.

Safety concerns are just running out of anything: gas, water, food. Don't pet or feed the javelinas, and don't bring a pet out there. There are mountain lions, and up in the Chisos there are black bears. Keep your eyes open.

In my opinion, your vehicle should be just fine. We drove over a few roads that were supposed to be 4wd roads in an older CRV, and the clearance was just fine. Maybe we got lucky.

It really is a remarkable country, beautiful and pretty inhospitable. Hope yall have a good time.

Comment

Truck-wise, you will be fine. Spring break is going to be crowded, but if you're planning on back country camping, you should be fine. There are a lot of available sites, and they limit the number of people at each one. Go to the Ranger station as soon as you get there to pull permits, I would have a backup plan for a place to stay the first night or two just in case.

Comment

i have been to both and they are two different animals. The state park is remote. 27 miles of a dirt rd to get to park hq. Once you are at park hq you need to check in with the ranger station and give them all your trip info. Your vehicle will be fine out there. Expect paint scratches it is rugged if you plan on getting off the main park road. Some campsites are closer than others to HQ but many may take another hour or two of driving depending on conditions. A few of them have portable toilets and most have a picnic table. If you want shade bring shade although a few of the campsites have old pergolas. I have stayed at Tres Papalotes and a site down on the Rio Grande. The last time I was at Tres Papalotes I saw only one other person drive by all day. You will need to pack all of your water in and waste out. You can load up your water jugs at the Park HQ. You can have ground fires in the state park. Be sure to bring firewood. There are not many trees out that way. Call the TPWD reservation line and book your site. I am sure there are some available. I wanted to camp at Guale last time but it was full. I spent one night 30' from the banks of the Rio Grande. I never felt unsafe. Be sure to either bring two spare tires or one good spare, a tire plug and compressor. If you plan on spending multiple days in the park bring gas. Be sure to gas up in Presidio before you enter the park. Bring everything you need out there because park HQ doesn't have much of anything.

The national park is beautiful. Plenty of great hikes and plenty of people. There are no ground fires. If you and your son have a passport you can cross into Old Mexico and visit the town of Boquillas. There are vehicle breakins at the parking lots in the national park. There could be some in the state park too but I would be surprised. It is very remote. The National Park is first come first serve for camping and they allow some backcountry camping but I think you need to get a permit. One year I stayed at the Stilwell Ranch. They have a large ranch and you can camp anywhere. It is just outside the South park entrance. The speed limit is 45 mph in the park so it can take awhile to get from one side to the other. I would recommend the Chisos Basin area. It is beautiful and the Window hike is nice. You may see some bears. It is beautiful country for sure. There are hot springs in the river and plenty of nice hiking spots.

Comment

"Packed" is a relative term.
            The Taco will get you anywhere in the park where it's legal to take a vehicle.
            Ernst Tinaja
            Lost Mine Trail
            South Rim
            Mariscal Mine
            Santa Elena Canyon
            all high on the list... though you won't be disappointed no matter where you go.

Comment

In for some info, btw have fun with your boy.

Comment

State Park HQ
                The view from one of the many dirt roads.
                This is from the highway in between Lajitas and Presidio. I think it is the prettiest stretch of road in Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                Last edited by thegrouse; 02-13-2018, 03:52 PM. Reason: Titles

Comment

Any decent fishing out on the state park??

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                    .... I would recommend the Chisos Basin area. It is beautiful and the Window hike is nice. You may see some bears. It is beautiful country for sure. There are hot springs in the river and plenty of nice hiking spots.
                    We've stayed at the campground in Chisos Basin. It was very nice and totally scenic and beautiful. If you're going to Big Bend you owe it to yourself to hike to "The Window" at least once at sunset and see this amazing place. I honestly believe it is one of the most scenic places I've ever been to in Texas. It was almost surreal to be there as the sun went down.

Comment

tagged for info

Comment

As said above, you should have no worries whatsoever with your truck. I’ve ventured around the park in my corolla three times now. I would also guess that your truck will allow you access some camping spots that the swarm of Subaru’s aren’t able to get to, giving you a better chance of having a place to stay. I always try to get there earlier in the day on the day I arrive, since it’s first come first serve. Take plenty of water and ice, and fill up your truck in alpine on your way in. There is also gas in the park, but supply could be limited or extremely long lines during spring break.

Comment

If you have an open carry license, I'd strongly suggest carrying. You just never know, but you might as well be prepared.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                            "Packed" is a relative term.
                            The Taco will get you anywhere in the park where it's legal to take a vehicle.
                            Ernst Tinaja
                            Lost Mine Trail
                            South Rim
                            Mariscal Mine
                            Santa Elena Canyon
                            all high on the list... though you won't be disappointed no matter where you go.
                            I'll second this. My wife and I have done Spring Break @ the National Park and had no trouble snagging tent sites all over. I will say a good add on is Davis Mntn State Park as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                              Any decent fishing out on the state park??
                              The only water I saw was the Rio Grande. I think some may catfish there but I don't believe it is a great area for fishing.

Comment

Working...
                              X