What am I doing wrong? taxidermy question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What am I doing wrong? taxidermy question

I've had this hog head coated in 40 volume peroxide going on 1 week. I recoat every day and just can't get the brown and yellow to go away? I wiped the creme away in picture to show the dark spots. What gives?????
    Attached Files

Needs degreased for a couple months.

Comment

Someone mentioned you had to degrease hog heads

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post

My guess as well. That or if it was boiled, brains

Comment

so much work... clean it up, dry it out, and spray paint it white

Comment

The skull came into contact with liquid fat somewhere in your process, either setting in the sun or during boiling, unfortunately I haven't found anything that will clear it up, it will just keep burning through, you might try setting it in direct sunlight for awhile. Hogs, sheep, and goats can be a real pain to keep fat away from the bone. Another way for hogs is to macerate in water, it sucks, but I get better end results until really hot weather sets in.

Comment

I found if you boil it, the fat drives down deep inside the bone.
              You might try soaking it in Dawn dish washing detergent in water for a week to see if you can get it out. I think not, but it's worth a try.

I found that if I sprayed with Binz or Kilz to seal it, then painted they looked great. I posted one on the DIY thread here a couple years ago, it came out nice in black with gold leaf cutters.

You also need to remove the cutters. The nerves and tissue material inside the tusk will eventually rot and smell horrible. When you do, fill the cutters with epoxy or clear rtv silicon to keep them from shrinking and cracking in the future.
              Last edited by Bill; 01-23-2017, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                X2 Google hog degreasing. I made a tank that stays at 110 degrees......takes about a month or more in dawn and among a at that temp.

Comment

It's really not hard at all. I wired a thermostat to a bucket heater. I found the diy on a taxidermy blog somewhere.

Comment

Bleach does wonders

Comment

Might be a dumb question but are you mixing the cream with the powder? Or just the cream?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

It sat in ant pile for 6 months. ALL was gone! Then I boiled it for 3 hours to remove small particles/germs. Then 3 days degreasing bath. Then Dryed out completely. Now 1 week bleaching. Here's where I sit

Comment

I degrease hogs, bears, etc. for a minimum of 3 months before attempting to whiten

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                            It sat in ant pile for 6 months. ALL was gone! Then I boiled it for 3 hours to remove small particles/germs. Then 3 days degreasing bath. Then Dryed out completely. Now 1 week bleaching. Here's where I sit

Same some of that for my highlights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Texantax View Post
                              I degrease hogs, bears, etc. for a minimum of 3 months before attempting to whiten
                              And there's my answer ....thanks man!

Comment

Working...
                              X