Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Purchase Used or Discontinued? That is the question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Purchase Used or Discontinued? That is the question...

Hello All,

I've been in the archery game for quite some time, but the past 10 years have been trad. Looking to stretch my modern archery legs again. As you are well aware, new flagship bows are worth more than both my kidneys combined...so I'm looking to buy used or perhaps a discontinued (but new) bow. What are your thoughts?

Also, these are the main manufacturers I like and am looking into:
    -Hoyt (Prices dictate that I'm looking at the Spyders/Faktors)
    -Prime (Ions/impacts...possibly Rize)
    -Elite (Impulse...possibly Option 6 or 7)

I'd appreciate your opinions any which way.

Thanks!
    Matthew

Don't know about any of them personally but understand Elite has a lifetime warranty

That would count for something to me

Comment

If I had it to do all over again, I’d go with a used bow or buy last years model. My bow is over 6 years old and I have a hard time believing that there is any bow light years ahead of my Hoyt Charger. It’s a middle of the road bow, but I’m extremely happy with it.

Comment

Prime side by side cams make me Leary, older Elite Synergy bow possibly best Ive ever shot,
        IMO Tossup Hoyt or Elite

Comment

Buy a new last years model.

Comment

Not sure on all brands, but some the warranty goes only with the original owner. So for that alone I would look at a last years model. I know they seem high but if you can pick up a new one and keep it for 8-10 years it really aint that expensive. In that time you could still get a couple hundred for it and buy you another new one. I was looking at newish trucks yesterday and i could get a new flagship bow fully loaded for less than 3 payments haha

Also some bow companies have second line bows or non flagship bows that can be had at a good price. I know that you didn't list Mathews but since they are the ones i am more familiar with they have a Z3 or the mission line that are good values, i assume the other brands do something similar if Mathews don't float your boat
            Last edited by RJH1; 09-09-2018, 03:28 PM.

Comment

I'd definitely look for a used bow. I found one on here for my dad this past January and he paid half of what it was new. It was only 6 months old, was in great shape, and shoots without issue. My first bow I hunted with from 2003-2015 with no issues other than changing out the string a few times. Seems like most of the name brand bows will last a long time.

Good luck!

Comment

Look at shops' older, new, inventory. I bought my Hoyt Nitrum Turbo for about 35% off retail, but it was 2 years old.

Comment

u can get great deals on used, u may not have warranty but the parts are still made by the big names if you need them, hoyt n mathews make parts for well over 10 yrs ago. i licked up a obsession for $300, a mathews no cam for $400, hoyt. rx for 350 like nib. elite impulse 34 for $400 n on n on!!

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                    Don't know about any of them personally but understand Elite has a lifetime warranty

That would count for something to me
                    As does every bow mfg.

Comment

Yes but Elite is transferred from owner to owner. Most aren't correct?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                        As does every bow mfg.
                        See next post

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                        Yes but Elite is transferred from owner to owner. Most aren't correct?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                        I did not state it that way (my bad) but that is what I was implying

If all of the bow companies have gone to a transferable lifetime warranty I was not aware of that

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                          See next post

I did not state it that way (my bad) but that is what I was implying

If all of the bow companies have gone to a transferable lifetime warranty I was not aware of that
                          That's a heck of a warranty. I didn't know it could be transferred

Comment

Originally posted by AustinBowhunter View Post
                            Hello All,

I've been in the archery game for quite some time, but the past 10 years have been trad. Looking to stretch my modern archery legs again. As you are well aware, new flagship bows are worth more than both my kidneys combined...so I'm looking to buy used or perhaps a discontinued (but new) bow. What are your thoughts?

Also, these are the main manufacturers I like and am looking into:
                            -Hoyt (Prices dictate that I'm looking at the Spyders/Faktors)
                            -Prime (Ions/impacts...possibly Rize)
                            -Elite (Impulse...possibly Option 6 or 7)

I'd appreciate your opinions any which way.

Thanks!
                            Matthew
                            I refuse to pay $1500 for a bow, when you walk out the door with it, the value is half of what you paid. Hoyt is the only one of those 3 I would consider.

Comment

I bought one new bow, in 1978. All the other bows have been used.

Comment

Working...
                              X