No announcement yet.

Homeschooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pros: Depends on how hard you work at homeschooling.

Cons: Depends on how hard you work at homeschooling.

Best thing we ever did for Gage. Roz is a stay at home mom and has done all the heavy lifting with the book based school work. They have been a part of many co-ops and other clubs.

I did all the other stuff, building, welding, survival stuff, outdoors, archery everything is based around teaching while doing and is learning, not schooling.

Gage has been involved socially since he was a toddler, he has never met a stranger and can (and will) carry on a conversation with anyone of any age.

Homeschooling is full time all the time; if you just do it between the hours of 8 Am and 3 PM you aren't homeschooling, you are schooling at home. Big difference...

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
      Pros: Depends on how hard you work at homeschooling.

Cons: Depends on how hard you work at homeschooling.

Best thing we ever did for Gage. Roz is a stay at home mom and has done all the heavy lifting with the book based school work. They have been a part of many co-ops and other clubs.

I did all the other stuff, building, welding, survival stuff, outdoors, archery everything is based around teaching while doing and is learning, not schooling.

Gage has been involved socially since he was a toddler, he has never met a stranger and can (and will) carry on a conversation with anyone of any age.

Homeschooling is full time all the time; if you just do it between the hours of 8 Am and 3 PM you aren't homeschooling, you are schooling at home. Big difference...
      Great answer

Comment

Got 4 kids and we homeschool. Did private school for 3 years and we probably won't ever go back. Never even considered public school because you have zero control over who they hire and their qualifications, the classroom sizes, or the curriculum and if it's something you don't agree with the worst part about it is you usually find out after it's already been taught.

Check out Liberty University online. It's been great for us.

Comment

Hey thanks again ya'll for all of the reply's, both good and bad. Some of you brought up bad points about homeschooling that I hadn't even considered. On the flip side of that, there were a lot of great points brought up that I hadn't considered. It will definitely be a tough decision, but we are going to pray about it and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by ferrellv View Post
            I'm homeschooled and I love it. Being homeschooled has allowed Me to work full time take college classes at night and also start my own welding business. All while maintaining a B average. I would recommend homeschooling to anyone.
            Thanks Son I will have to make sure your Mom see this.
            To the op as my son said he loves it. As others have said you get to adapt your school to the kid. My son above has and is doing very will for himself because we taught him what he needed to know to succeed in what he wanted to do. He has always wanted to be a welder, even though I tried to talk him out of it. But once we figured out that was what he wanted then we chose his subjects to match his career choice. Last time I checked very few welders need latin but they do need math, geometery, business so he is ready. Ferrelv gets up before everyone else in the house and gets his school work done, is at work t his full time job at 7:30am works until 5 or 6pm, 3 days per week, and until 2pm the other 2 days and on these days he goes to night school welding classes until 10pm. Plus he does welding jobs on the weekends. He has bought his own welding truck and carries his own insurance on it.

Our daughter on the other hand learns totally different she is not a morning person which works good for my wife as she is not either. we have to teach a whole different curriculum for her than we used for our son. She is doing very well.

Both kids know what it takes to keep a house, plant a garden, raise animals, kill and process their own animals.

Both kids know exactly what they want to do in life and have a plan to do it.
            Both kids know how to interact with other people, they may not interact with someone but it is because they realize that, that person is not good for them.

Both kids are Godly people and give him the credit for their success.
            Both kids Love their Mom for putting her life on hold in order to teach them.

Cons. Mom does not get anytime off she is with the kids 24/7 so make sure you get Mom away every once in a while for some adult conversation and activities

It is expensive because everything comes out of your pocket.

But we would not change it.

Comment

I had some old neighbors whose plan was to home school their three boys through elementary school then let them start regular school in the 6th grade. Very good kids. They all played sports and went to the home schooled kids camps and other normal activities.

Our kids all grew up together since birth, my oldest daughter is the same age as their oldest son. They would be starting 6th grade together.

It didn't go well at all. Neighbor had asked me to ask my oldest to keep an eye on him and see if she notices anything or ask her friends that have classes with him what they are seeing a couple weeks into the semester.

He had alot of issues. In group classwork assignments he couldn't grasp classmates disagreeing with his point of view, un-willing to go with others opinions, couldn't grasp having different teachers that don't all act like, would get frustrated when the teachers didn't call on him, cried alot when teachers disciplined him in front of the class. His grades started suffering because he basically started checking out from all the anxiety he felt. And of course he got picked on from all of this. He made it a semester. They ended up moving because he was terrified of going back there. They had to place most of the blame on themselves since this was their idea not thinking of the repercussions.

I saw them all at a party last year. He is doing much better now. They found a smaller school and still has some issues but its way more manageable now. Back to making all A's too.

I asked if the other younger brothers are still being home schooled. Said no. And they aren't the same kids anymore. Way more outgoing and had an easier transition since they were younger.

He said their marriage is the best it had ever been. Wifey took it really hard at first because she thought she had done everything the right way and wasn't prepared for the results when reality hit. When the kids all started school she decided to be very active volunteering, chaperoning, PTA and the likes. She made a ton of new friends since and has a life outside of the house that she didn't have for 12 years.

In the end home schooling just wasn't good for them.

Great to hear the success story's here though!!!

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
                We HS our two boys, well my wife does 99% of it(I’m a shift worker). We are very blessed because she works full time from home and is still able to HS them. This is our second year and it seems to be going pretty well. Our neighbor is a PS teacher and she is giving them a placement test, just for us to know where they are, very soon. Like stated above, there are pros and cons. But the pros are pretty outstanding.....History lesson by the pond
                Hunting with me during the week
                Vocational training in the shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Looks about like my experience being homeschooled.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                  If you have a child that is exceptional on either side of the curve the public school system will fail them. That said that doesn't make you qualified to help them succeed.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
                  This statement is wrong on many levels. My daughter is a national merit scholar and will be the valedictorian of her class next year. She goes to a public school and has since kindergarten. The only way any school will fail them is if the parents allow it. No matter the school environment, student success almost always correlates with parent involvement. Very few kids excel when there are low expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                    This statement is wrong on many levels. My daughter is a national merit scholar and will be the valedictorian of her class next year. She goes to a public school and has since kindergarten. The only way any school will fail them is if the parents allow it. No matter the school environment, student success almost always correlates with parent involvement. Very few kids excel when there are low expectations.

Well said...and my kids are in private/home school combination.
                    I did not have a problem with the public school because my wife and i are very involved in our kids education. That said, i could not convince her that we would make up for any pub.school decencies.
                    I did let her know that my son was absolutely going to go to public school when he gets to 6-7 grade because he is going to play sports.

Comment

After 30 years married to a school teacher in a public school I can tell you you're wrong. You're child would have been further ahead in a private learning institution. Teachers spend so much time on the ones who aren't going to excel, who don't have parents making them do their home work, who don't value the education or cannot that the higher kids aren't given what they need either.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                        After 30 years married to a school teacher in a public school I can tell you you're wrong. You're child would have been further ahead in a private learning institution. Teachers spend so much time on the ones who aren't going to excel, who don't have parents making them do their home work, who don't value the education or cannot that the higher kids aren't given what they need either.

As a teacher in public schools for 25 years, I don't think I am wrong. We as teachers in the public school are hamstrung a little in that we have to deal kids of all levels and backgrounds. There may be times when the top level students are left to expand on some thing while teacher has to help lower level kids. But they will be doing that when they get to college if they choose to go that route. Private schools don't have to deal with that. They get to pick and choose who they want to attend. I have taught thousands of kids over the last 25 years. All of the best one's had parent's who had high expectations. I think a quality education is available to all who want it. At least that has been my observation. Now I have always worked at smaller secondary schools with the exception of one stretch at a 4A school. I have no experience with larger schools or the elementary level.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                          Of course it does, the parent is the most denominator of a childs success, homeschool or not.
                          Exactly!!!!

Parent life at home has so much to do with it and their attitude and work ethic. Not a teacher

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                            Pro- move at kids pace and he can advance quicker- you know exactly where kid is at
                            Cons- socialization can be difficult and don’t get put in negative situations that they have to solve. No school events - prom, clubs, sports. They do have leagues for activities but not the same

Weigh it- try it- you can always go back. I would say it is probably better for young kids but think pre teen years on it may have some drawbacks. I had two girls that were home schooled move in next to me in college. It was great- they had years of catching up to do and I lived next door
                            I know in Texas, if you are home schooled you may play sports at your zoned public school. Had a kid on our team in high school that was home schooled.

Comment

Originally posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
                              I know in Texas, if you are home schooled you may play sports at your zoned public school. Had a kid on our team in high school that was home schooled.
                              Don't think so. This is from the UIL handbook. This is why there are home school teams now.

UIL Eligibility Standards
                              The sole purpose of eligibility rules and contest regulations is to keep competition equitable and to maintain activities in proper perspective. It is the responsibility of each school to see that students do not compete unless they comply with all eligibility rules. It is also the responsibility of the student to observe and obey these standards. According to UIL standards, students are eligible to represent their school in interscholastic activities if they:

have not graduated from high school,
                              are full-time, day students in the school, and have been in regular attendance at the school since the 6th class day of the present school year, or have been in regular attendance for 15 or more calendar days before the contest or competition,
                              are in compliance with state law and rules of the Commissioner of Education, (see TEA-UIL Side By Side)
                              are enrolled in a four year, normal program of high school courses, and initially enrolled in the 9th grade not more than 4 years ago nor in the 10th grade not more than 3 years ago,
                              were not recruited,
                              are not in violation of the awards rule, and
                              meet the specific eligibility requirements for academic, music and/or athletic competition.
                              Eligibility for Academic Contests
                              meet all the requirements above, and
                              have not changed schools for the purpose of participating in a UIL academic contest.
                              Eligibility for Music Contests
                              have not changed schools for the purpose of participating in a UIL music contest.
                              Eligibility for Athletic Contests
                              meet all the requirements above,
                              are less than 19 years old on September 1 preceding the contest or have been granted eligibility based on a disability that delayed their education by at least one year,
                              live with their parents inside the school district attendance zone their first year of attendance (see your school administrator for exceptions),
                              have not moved or changed schools for athletic purposes,
                              have not violated the athletic amateur rule, and
                              were eligible according to the fifteen day rule and the residence rule prior to district certification.

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                                Don't think so. This is from the UIL handbook. This is why there are home school teams now.

UIL Eligibility Standards
                                The sole purpose of eligibility rules and contest regulations is to keep competition equitable and to maintain activities in proper perspective. It is the responsibility of each school to see that students do not compete unless they comply with all eligibility rules. It is also the responsibility of the student to observe and obey these standards. According to UIL standards, students are eligible to represent their school in interscholastic activities if they:

have not graduated from high school,
                                are full-time, day students in the school, and have been in regular attendance at the school since the 6th class day of the present school year, or have been in regular attendance for 15 or more calendar days before the contest or competition,
                                are in compliance with state law and rules of the Commissioner of Education, (see TEA-UIL Side By Side)
                                are enrolled in a four year, normal program of high school courses, and initially enrolled in the 9th grade not more than 4 years ago nor in the 10th grade not more than 3 years ago,
                                were not recruited,
                                are not in violation of the awards rule, and
                                meet the specific eligibility requirements for academic, music and/or athletic competition.
                                Eligibility for Academic Contests
                                have not changed schools for the purpose of participating in a UIL academic contest.
                                Eligibility for Music Contests
                                have not changed schools for the purpose of participating in a UIL music contest.
                                Eligibility for Athletic Contests
                                meet all the requirements above,
                                are less than 19 years old on September 1 preceding the contest or have been granted eligibility based on a disability that delayed their education by at least one year,
                                live with their parents inside the school district attendance zone their first year of attendance (see your school administrator for exceptions),
                                have not moved or changed schools for athletic purposes,
                                have not violated the athletic amateur rule, and
                                were eligible according to the fifteen day rule and the residence rule prior to district certification.
                                Just read that..well I guess my team was cheating We had a HS kid on our varsity baseball team back in 2004 (we still sucked). I also just read that Texas tried to pass the Tebow bill and it stalled out in the house.. go figure.

Comment

Working...
                                X