GoFundMe Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GoFundMe Question

First, let me say that I have no problem with GoFundMe when used appropriately. Crowdfunding is a great concept and I think it is great for those who need it.

That said, below are a few GoFundMe requests I have received in the last few months...

- For vet bills (dog tore something in its leg)
    - For a down payment on a new home
    - For a senior trip
    - For an engagement ring
    - For plane tickets to go see best friend

I have no problem chipping in for needs/wants for friends and family but the volume of people who are using this tool to ask others to fund their lifestyle is just startling.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Buckley99; 12-13-2017, 08:16 AM.

There are some really good causes but the ones you listed are the internet version of the wino on the corner.

Comment

So you're not gonna help with my plane tickets to go see our best friend? Fine. Be that way. Hope you have a Merry Christmas anyhow.

Comment

I belong to some local FB groups and I am surprised (I shouldn't be) by how many people post asking for help with stuff. One lady was complaining she needed money to get back to the doctor but talked about her DirecTV bill being expensive. Seriously, priorities people.

I never donate to the "causes" like Buckley99 posted. If it is a friend or family member I more than likely already offered help if I knew they needed it.

Comment

"A Fool and his money are easily parted"

Comment

Guy from my hometown set one up to pay for his wedding. No one donated any money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Zero chance I'd loan money for any of the reasons listed. I've been dirt poor before and it took a lot of financial discipline to get where I am at. People that know me wouldn't even send me a gofundme request for that kind of stuff bc they don't want to hear my ranting.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckley99 View Post
                First, let me say that I have no problem with GoFundMe when used appropriately. Crowdfunding is a great concept and I think it is great for those who need it.

That said, below are a few GoFundMe requests I have received in the last few months...

- For a senior trip
                - For an engagement ring

I have no problem chipping in for needs/wants for friends and family but the volume of people who are using this tool to ask others to fund their lifestyle is just startling.

Thoughts?
                Thoughts? They need to get off their azz and take care of it themselves. Here are 2 more that I know the people and they started a GoFundMe

1) hi we,are the Turnip Family. Ronny has accepted a job for the 19th time in Midland, Tx. We are in need of money for the move and would like to have 25 Gs. Thank you
                Btw.......Ronny cant hold a job as a LEO and his cluck of a wife Sherry got canned also from her prior jobs. She likes to cuddle.

2) hi my name is Jimmy. My daughter Anastasia will be playing summer soccer indoor league abd plans on making the Olympics in 3098. The out of town trips are very expensive. Nice hotels, beer, steaks etc. We are looking to raising 15,000 to help Ant in her life long dreams.
                Btw........mom and dad make 180,00 per yr

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
                  Thoughts? They need to get off their azz and take care of it themselves. Here are 2 more that I know the people and they started a GoFundMe

1) hi we,are the Turnip Family. Ronny has accepted a job for the 19th time in Midland, Tx. We are in need of money for the move and would like to have 25 Gs. Thank you
                  Btw.......Ronny cant hold a job as a LEO and his cluck of a wife Sherry got canned also from her prior jobs. She likes to cuddle.

2) hi my name is Jimmy. My daughter Anastasia will be playing summer soccer indoor league abd plans on making the Olympics in 3098. The out of town trips are very expensive. Nice hotels, beer, steaks etc. We are looking to raising 15,000 to help Ant in her life long dreams.
                  Btw........mom and dad make 180,00 per yr
                  These made me laugh....a lot

Comment

Originally posted by Buckley99 View Post

- For a senior trip
                    - For an engagement ring

Thoughts?

Was the Vet Bill go fund me account request from a gentleman by the name of Tim?

Comment

I saw one guy asking for money to pay his probation after he killed 2 brothers driving drunk.

Comment

I've been thinking of starting one to help my daughter pay her student loans... TIA for the support

Comment

Those are the online equivalent of setting up in front of Walmart and having your kids beg for donations to fund their sports teams and whatnot. Maybe if the kids spent all day mowing grass or washing cars or something instead of panhandling, they'd get the money they need and learn a better life lesson on where it comes from.

It's easy to ignore those requests.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                            Those are the online equivalent of setting up in front of Walmart and having your kids beg for donations to fund their sports teams and whatnot. Maybe if the kids spent all day mowing grass or washing cars or something instead of panhandling, they'd get the money they need and learn a better life lesson on where it comes from.

It's easy to ignore those requests.
                            You are correct,sir.

Comment

I saw on FB recently that a girl I went to HS with posted a GFM for her young daughter to get a new iphone. I saw that zero people donated, so that was cool.

Saw another where a lady posted one for her niece so that she could buy an SUV because the niece had so many kids and they could not all fit in her car.

Edit: The only time I ever donated to a crowd fund was when a very good friend suddenly was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. We did benefit golf tournaments, auctions, all kinds of stuff. He didn't make it, and left behind a wife and 3 young kids.
                              Last edited by Grizz83; 12-13-2017, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X