View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 06:44 PM   #60
HdFilmmaker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Guided Elk hunts in Colo to hogs in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Good stuff!

I shoot manual focus for everything except the first person stuff. I definitely need a wide angle for that, and manual legacy lens is probably a good option. I have a couple of Minolta MD lenses (35/2.8, 50/1.7) that I use on occasion, but of course they don't help with shooting ultra wide.

I considered the GH4 long before I opted for the Sony. From the reviews I've seen, better image quality is debatable, but the GH4 is abhorrent in low light (unusable beyond 6400 ISO). The low light capability, 120fps at 1080, full frame 4K (GH4 is 2.3x crop) when needed, ability to adapt my Canon glass and legacy lenses, and exceptional dynamic range was enough to push me to the Sony platform (although I'm hoping they fix some deficiencies in future iterations.) It was the low light capability that attracted me to the A7s, but it is far from a one trick pony (as would be a Thermal). Much of the camp "scenes" are shot in very low light environments. For my requirements, I think the A7sii, all factors considered, is a superior camera to the GH4 (or even the newly released 5D mkiv).

The key consideration for me (and most of my "audience" here) is that I'm not producing a "high end" hunting show, but rather mostly YouTube and web content in more of a run and gun, self filmed in a "vlog" or documentary style. It's mostly unscripted with a goal of reality and spontaneity over a scripted, overly produced story that is often more staged than developed naturally (and frequently produced more for advertisers than for consumers.)

In Video Journal videos, like the "Hunting Camp" series, taking time to set up would (more often than not) mean missing the moment. That said, I'm still learning what works and what doesn't, and hopefully continuing to improve. I'm no expert, just a student that enjoys the learning labs!

Thanks for your input and feedback!
The other cool thing about shooting in 4k that people forget about is the ability to "punch in". Taking footage into an editor and zooming in on your video is doable in 4k not so much in 1080. That is if you do any post to your vids.
HdFilmmaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top