Work situation - how would you handle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work situation - how would you handle?

3 weeks ago while I was on pto my manager text me about a voluntary training session on 10/20. But no schedule was provided etc. I agreed it would be beneficial. Fast forward, I’ve had a number of things arise that makes this a bad timing not doable for me. I need to cancel, but I suspect that this will not be well received by my manager. I believe in keeping my word, but there are situations out of our control that pop up, this is one of those.

The company paid $125. My wife isn’t happy about it, but I’m willing to reimburse the organization.

Thoughts on better/different ways to approach it?

Offer to reimburse them and tell them it’s not doable at the moment. Just be forthcoming about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Go tell your boss that although you initially planned on going to the session there have been some things come up and you just cant make it. Maybe there is someone else in your dept that could take your spot. Personally, I wouldnt even think about reimbursing them the $125.

Comment

I would notify my manage immediately. Maybe they can get a refund or send someone else in your place.

Comment

Just be honest and tell them you are going hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
            I would notify my manage immediately. Maybe they can get a refund or send someone else in your place.
            This. Life happens and stuff comes up, they may not be happy about it but oh well. If he's a decent manager he'll understand

Comment

Originally posted by Hunting4fun View Post
              Just be honest and tell them you are going hunting.

Comment

If the company complains about $125 then I wouldn't be working there period. Life happens. Go tell them.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                  Offer to reimburse them and tell them it’s not doable at the moment. Just be forthcoming about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Right here ^^^^^^^ Close thread.

Comment

Seems like every time I schedule training for my employees in advanced there's always one that misses work that day.

I'd be pretty irked especially if you waited halfway through Friday, the day before, before saying something.

But life/work always goes on in these cases.

Comment

Go talk to your manager. Be forthright and let him or her know that you're willing to take some responsibility for backing out on a commitment.

Comment

Id just walk into his office - point at his forehead and tell him sternly without avoiding eye contact that you are not going, and you are not going to pay no effing $125.

Tell them your wife said so, and I am sure they will understand.

Comment

This is an easy one. Tell him that you were drunk when he asked you to sign up for the training so your commitment doesn't count, after-all you were on PTO when he asked.....nothing makes me more mad then when someone from work bothers me when I am on PTO unless it is an emergency.

Comment

I wouldn't offer to reimburse. Life happens, they should understand. Besides, there is likely someone else on your team that can benefit from the training.
                            I just realized tomorrow is said training. Saturday training during deer season? That's unacceptable. =)

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                              My thoughts as well. Let management know ASAP, it doesn't get any easier the longer you wait. Don't put it off.

Comment

Working...
                              X