Somerville WMA 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somerville WMA 2017-18

Anyone started scouting yet this year? I haven't been out there since end of season last year. Itching to see how bad the undergrowth and rag weed will be this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went out a couple of weeks ago and put out a couple of cameras. This will be my first year hunting Somerville. Rag weed was already pretty high in areas and whole fields of thistlely looking ground cover that as over waist high !!
    Was already real hot, but the water levels are down from when I looked late last year.

Comment

I did see a few pigs on the side of the road near the South Yegua check-in station. Other than that lots of spiders, a couple of raccoons and a doe while walking around.

Comment

Been out there on the boat and have seen lots of tracks, but all on protected lands.
        Been wanting to go scout, maybe this weekend if all goes well.

Comment

Went out Saturday morning. Couldn't believe what I seen... 4-6ft tall ragweed covering the place. I wish I knew where to start with organizing something to be done to get this stuff shredded every yr or other yr.

Comment

Thinking about going out Friday morning and walking around.

Comment

Originally posted by hoghntrncypress View Post
              Thinking about going out Friday morning and walking around.

Bring stilts with you to see over all the ragweed! Lol

Comment

I saw a bachelor group of 7 bucks (1 possibly 2 shooters) at the entrance to Rocky Creek Park on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by SEA PRO 210 View Post
                  I saw a bachelor group of 7 bucks (1 possibly 2 shooters) at the entrance to Rocky Creek Park on Monday.

Those 'lake deer' are smart though. By mid Sept they'll be huddled up inside Nails SP, Rocky and Birch SP. lol

Comment

I went out Saturday Morning. Ragweed was real tall & real thick !! I had a couple of cameras out for almost a month. Saw some does and one night picture of a shooter buck. Moved cameras around and will check again in a few weeks.
                    Man it gets HOT out there really quick.

Comment

Originally posted by JSBrit View Post
                      I went out Saturday Morning. Ragweed was real tall & real thick !! I had a couple of cameras out for almost a month. Saw some does and one night picture of a shooter buck. Moved cameras around and will check again in a few weeks.
                      Man it gets HOT out there really quick.

Yes it does. We got there and left by 930am Saturday morning and by then it was hot.

Didnt see much sign of life besides pig tracks. Maybe cooler temps will get them moving more.

Comment

I was out there from daylight to about 11:00 am. the last 1.5 hrs were miserably hot. Saw one pig and had a couple of deer snort at me but I never saw them through the brush.

Comment

with all the rain expected from Harvey in the next several days, how bad will yegua creeks rise? Should I go out tomorrow and get my trail cameras out? I mounted them fairly high, but a couple are right at the creek. Looking back at past years threads, looks like the PHA

Comment

...floods pretty easily.

Comment

Originally posted by JSBrit View Post
                              with all the rain expected from Harvey in the next several days, how bad will yegua creeks rise? Should I go out tomorrow and get my trail cameras out? I mounted them fairly high, but a couple are right at the creek. Looking back at past years threads, looks like the PHA

We're going today to get ours. If austin gets the projected amount of rainfall(6-8") plus what we get locally here... that place will go under water. It'll take 3 days for runoff from Austin to hit the Yegua at WMA.

Comment

Working...
                              X