No announcement yet.

JFT Turkey Tour 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No luck in Jack county this morning, not even a gobble. Anybody else hunting out that way?

Comment

Congrats Dustin!
      I hunted hard all weekend but got My butt kicked in Kinney County. Way too many hens. Got close but no cigar

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
        Congrats Dustin!
        I hunted hard all weekend but got My butt kicked in Kinney County. Way too many hens. Got close but no cigar
        Thanks James!

Completely different hunting that what I've been used to. Thick cover, standing black water, weary pressured birds, silent for the most part other than gobbling on the roost. Last hunt of the trip I had a gobbler drumming this morning at about 20 yards but couldn't shoot for the briars and deadfall at about my 7 o'clock position. He figured me out then let out a gobble at about 80 yards as he shot me the middle feather and rolled out. That's hunting though. Definitely not the killing we are used to in Texas. I plan on hunting a different state every year from here on out even if I've already killed the subspecies. So much to learn hunting on the road, makes you realize how spoiled we target rich Texas hunters are....Congrats to all who killed this weekend and good luck to the rest. Sunrise in the morning will find the wifey and I on the San Antone trying for her a gobbler last time she sat there she killed a 5 bearded tom. Haven't hunted them in 2 years at this place to give them a little time to recover their numbers.....

Comment

Tag 2 punched at family place in Wilson County this evening. Fun solo hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Clay, my Dad said you want to poach my turkeys off our place...

Have at them and good luck.

Comment

Well done James, we just fried up some south Texas bird and it was delish. I have hell posting pics here so y'all will have to trust to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Reelthreat View Post
                Clay, my Dad said you want to poach my turkeys off our place...

Have at them and good luck.

Hahaha

It’s been a few years since I’ve hunted it so I figured I’d call up Uncle Colonel

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                  Thanks James!

Completely different hunting that what I've been used to. Thick cover, standing black water, weary pressured birds, silent for the most part other than gobbling on the roost. Last hunt of the trip I had a gobbler drumming this morning at about 20 yards but couldn't shoot for the briars and deadfall at about my 7 o'clock position. He figured me out then let out a gobble at about 80 yards as he shot me the middle feather and rolled out. That's hunting though. Definitely not the killing we are used to in Texas. I plan on hunting a different state every year from here on out even if I've already killed the subspecies. So much to learn hunting on the road, makes you realize how spoiled we target rich Texas hunters are....Congrats to all who killed this weekend and good luck to the rest. Sunrise in the morning will find the wifey and I on the San Antone trying for her a gobbler last time she sat there she killed a 5 bearded tom. Haven't hunted them in 2 years at this place to give them a little time to recover their numbers.....

That’s tough

I think the hardest part of hunting trips is the time constraint. It’s tough to kill a bird in a new place in 3 days.

Had you been able to scout and spend a few weeks there, the results would have been different.

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                    Tag 2 punched at family place in Wilson County this evening. Fun solo hunt

Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                      Y’all get your licks in now.....cause I’m getting started this weekend

Well?

Comment

A couple of nice photos from the ranch.
                        Pretty sure the strutter is the bird I killed Friday afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
                          Well?
                          Not too bueno! Ended up only getting to hunt Saturday evening. Could only find two birds that would even make a peep. Called one up abut 2 and other up about 5:30. Both jakes so we passed. Headed out west for the opener this weekend. Can’t suck any worse than it did Saturday

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                            Not too bueno! Ended up only getting to hunt Saturday evening. Could only find two birds that would even make a peep. Called one up abut 2 and other up about 5:30. Both jakes so we passed. Headed out west for the opener this weekend. Can’t suck any worse than it did Saturday

Birds have been acting weird so far

Good luck!

Comment

I'm taking the recurve out all this week. I've already punched two tags so I'm hoping to get my second recurve bird since I picked up bow hunting turks.

Comment

I may have to find a different spot to hunt depending how much rain Karnes County gets.

Comment

Working...
                                X