Old Mexico 2018-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
    Yep I hunted there for 7 years on the same ranch.. My last year to hunt south of the border was 11 years ago... I sure do miss it and want to hunt it again BAD but the constant feeding/work programs that these operations are requiring these days is just more than I have time for.. Man we never fed anything but corn and we didn't start that until season began and there were some BIG(for those days)wild deer killed for(180's) and some BIGGER deer seen, that weren't ever killed, during that time period.. The part that fascinated me the most about hunting over there was that those monster bucks where naturally occurring.. The big ranches plus low hunting pressure combined with the protein content that is naturally occurring in the browse over there is the perfect recipe..

There’s still plenty of leases in Mexico that you can just feed corn on. Unlike you though I enjoy the year around management thing. But each to his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
      There’s still many ranches that don’t do the year round feeding it can be as simple or intense as you want. Much like any lease
      I don't hear about these.. The guys I personally know go all out.. I mean all out!!!!!!!!!! I have nothing against that all but the Mystique of hunting raw Old Mexico country starts mirroring what ruined the mystique of deep south Texas for me.. Hopefully it doesn't follow that path..

I'm sure there are a few out there though.

Comment

There’s actually a lot of ranches in Mexico that don’t require you to have a feed program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't hear about these.. The guys I personally know go all out.. I mean all out!!!!!!!!!! I have nothing against that all but the Mystique of hunting raw Old Mexico country starts mirroring what ruined the mystique of deep south Texas for me.. Hopefully it doesn't follow that path..

Sad But, True. The Days of Getting on a 100k ac ranch with 10 hunters are Over Pretty Much. Now your Lucky if you can still pull off 1hunter Per 1k on Most ranches

Comment

Originally posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
            Sad But, True. The Days of Getting on a 100k ac ranch with 10 hunters are Over Pretty Much. Now your Lucky if you can still pull off 1hunter Per 1k on Most ranches
            LOL. 1 per a thousand ain't bad though.. A man would have to rob several banks to pull that off in the "Golden Triangle" of S.T.

Comment

LOL. 1 per a thousand ain't bad though.. A man would have to rob several banks to pull that off in the "Golden Triangle" of S.T.
              Agreed and understood. But, with added hunters and a whole lot more deer being killed the age and quality is a lot lower. Now the fun begins of keeping a lease full in Mexico with maybe a chance of a deer worth crossing in the first place. Mexico ain't South Texas. LoL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

The last 8hrs I hunted P/L I never seen a deer over 150. When back in the late 80s it was one of the greatest places I had ever hunted to this day including the management side

Comment

My last 4 ranches i have been on we’re just corn 4-6 months out of the year including the one i took over this year. I’ve hunted down south for 10+ years and haven’t been on a protein fed ranch. It’s what you make it and want from your ranch.

Comment

My last 4 ranches i have been on we’re just corn 4-6 months out of the year including the one i took over this year. I’ve hunted down south for 10+ years and haven’t been on a protein fed ranch. It’s what you make it and want from your ranch.
                    We had 8,500 acres, not a huge place, and we didn't have a single feeder of any kind on it.. We would feed, with road feeders on jeeps and suburb and, a couple of times here and there before season and pour it to them once season started... It always amazed me how the deer would pour out into the the roads and Senderos as if we had been feeding evry other day throughout the year.... They knew the sound...

Comment

Originally posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
                      The last 8hrs I hunted P/L I never seen a deer over 150. When back in the late 80s it was one of the greatest places I had ever hunted to this day including the management side

Yea I always say if there is 1 170"-180" "wild buck" per 5,000 acres that's really good.. Now killing him is a different story..

Back when I started doing taxidermy,30+ years ago, if I got in a 165-170" buck I would have folks driving for miles to come see him. Not these days.. Heck a 160" from Brazoria county barely raises an eye brow and that's a 1 in a million deer for this county... Lol

Comment

Yea I always say if there is 1 170"-180" "wild buck" per 5,000 acres that's really good.. Now killing him is a different story..

Back when I started doing taxidermy,30+ years ago, if I got in a 165-170" buck I would have folks driving for miles to come see him. Not these days.. Heck a 160" from Brazoria county barely raises an eye brow and that's a 1 in a million deer for this county... Lol
                        I hear ya. Sad days for sure

Comment

Crazy i have to remind myself all the time 140” is the deer of a lifetime for so many! I’ve gotta remind myself from time to time I’m blessed to have the opportunity to chase an pass so many deer that 10 years ago i would never would’ve believed you had you told me I’d pass the deer I’ve had the chance to. It’s a bittersweet process to change hunting “styles” but i love to beat my personal best at whatever i do.

Comment

I go to Mexico for the adventure, we only run corn feeders for about 3-4 months and road feed, we have a lot of fun, last year I went hunting for arrow heads for the first time, we picked up a boat load of them in just a couple of days, that made my trip. We have not killed any giants, 160 to 170 is tops for us, usually get one or two of those a year. Our landowner is awesome, he stays with us, cooks, cleans deer, and can fix anything, we have become good friends with him and his family.

Comment

Crazy i have to remind myself all the time 140” is the deer of a lifetime for so many! I’ve gotta remind myself from time to time I’m blessed to have the opportunity to chase an pass so many deer that 10 years ago i would never would’ve believed you had you told me I’d pass the deer I’ve had the chance to. It’s a bittersweet process to change hunting “styles” but i love to beat my personal best at whatever i do.
                              Yep.. To me a 140"-150" 6-7 year buck is still a trophy but of coarse a 170" is much better..

Comment

I can’t wait to experience it. It may not be what it was 25 years ago, but I imagine it is still significantly different than anything north of the border, and if a big buck is a byproduct of hunting down there, I am all for it.

I have hunted Canada, and all over Texas for 25 years and still haven’t broken 145”, so any 7+ year old buck in the 150’s will tickle me pink, and if I happen into a 180” buck, heck yea!
                                Last edited by texas shag; 03-18-2018, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X