No announcement yet.

257 Weatherby Scope Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't hit what you can't see, I cut cost on a rifle brand before I would a scope. Just my opinion.

Comment

zeiss .check carter country's weekly sales ..usually have fairly good prices

Comment

I've never heard a bad thing about Vortex until the day I bought one. Still waiting for it to come in the mail but what is the story? Are they bad or what. I honestly always had heard they were great. Now I'm hoping I'm not gonna regret it!

FYI- Vortex Viper 4-24-50mm and yes I will draw my own conclusion but still want to know of any horror stories! Lol
        Last edited by Arrowslinger1; 12-03-2015, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Thanks this is all good information. If I up the price. Thoughts on Leupold vs Zeiss. What about between 42 vs 50mm. I'm only planning to shoot out to no more than 4-500 yards. If I go with 20 power how easy would it be to shoot out to 600 effectively?

Comment

Originally posted by Ecobeast View Post
            got mine topped with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 get one and you wont be disappointed.
            This is exactly what I topped mine with. Liked it so much I bought another one to put on my 300 WBY Mag as well.

Comment

This guy has a lot of useful information about long range shooting.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX3hLSI59ko&list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0v DCIcEPxUn&index=21"]SNIPER 101 Part 21 - Scope Quality by Brand - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowslinger1 View Post
                I've never heard a bad thing about Vortex until the day I bought one. Still waiting for it to come in the mail but what is the story? Are they bad or what. I honestly always had heard they were great. Now I'm hoping I'm not gonna regret it!

FYI- Vortex Viper 4-24-50mm and yes I will draw my own conclusion but still want to know of any horror stories! Lol

There's plenty of Vortex discussion to choose from on here. Do a search.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivanite View Post
                  Thanks this is all good information. If I up the price. Thoughts on Leupold vs Zeiss. What about between 42 vs 50mm. I'm only planning to shoot out to no more than 4-500 yards. If I go with 20 power how easy would it be to shoot out to 600 effectively?

I'm my experience here's how Leupold & Zeiss stack up:

3) Zeiss Conquest

2) Leupold VX-3

1) Zeiss HD5

Now that's only comparing glass. When you start talking features and available options Leupold wins hands down.

As to 42mm vs 50mm, divide the objective diameter by the magnification and keep the ratio at a 4 or higher. For example:

50mm/20X = 2.5

42mm/20X = 2.1

So for low light the 50mm is the better choice for higher magnification. To determine max usable magnification divide the objective diameter by 4 to see what the max magnification you can effectively use in low light.

50mm/4 = 12.5X

42mm/4 = 10.5X

Hope this helps.

Btw IMO you can NEVER go wrong going with better glass if you can afford it. I always recommend buying the best glass you can afford. Bells & whistles like Bullet drop reticles, exposed dials, first focal plane all sounds cool but the average hunter has no use for it. So I would sacrifice all of that for better glass. All the other stuff does you no good if you can't see your target.

Comment

I have a 3.5-14x50 leupold on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      I'm my experience here's how Leupold & Zeiss stack up:

3) Zeiss Conquest

2) Leupold VX-3

1) Zeiss HD5

Now that's only comparing glass. When you start talking features and available options Leupold wins hands down.

As to 42mm vs 50mm, divide the objective diameter by the magnification and keep the ratio at a 4 or higher. For example:

50mm/20X = 2.5

42mm/20X = 2.1

So for low light the 50mm is the better choice for higher magnification. To determine max usable magnification divide the objective diameter by 4 to see what the max magnification you can effectively use in low light.

50mm/4 = 12.5X

42mm/4 = 10.5X

Hope this helps.

Btw IMO you can NEVER go wrong going with better glass if you can afford it. I always recommend buying the best glass you can afford. Bells & whistles like Bullet drop reticles, exposed dials, first focal plane all sounds cool but the average hunter has no use for it. So I would sacrifice all of that for better glass. All the other stuff does you no good if you can't see your target.

Thanks. That's great info. Exactly what I was looking for. I get so lost reading the books and articles (stereo instructions). I'll see what I can find and post a pick when I get it built.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecobeast View Post
                        got mine topped with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 get one and you wont be disappointed.
                        THIS! Got the same glass on mine.

jrg

Comment

I just put a zeiss hd5 5-25x50 with the rapid z8 reticle on my 7 mag and I love it. Crystal clear, tracks accurately and did I mention Crystal clear. I hunted with it for the first time this past weekend and I was very impressed. 600 yards with that scope would be a walk in the park. But it's a little over double of what your budget is. This is my first higher end scope and I see and understand why people always say not to skimp on good glass. Now I just got to figure out which model I want to put on my 6.8spc ar. Still debating between a hd5 3-15x50 or a trijicon 2.5-10x56. I've always liked the idea of the trijicon for my ar.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivanite View Post
                            50mm gives you more light. Normally, Zeiss would be better glass, but the Zeiss in your price range is no better than the Leupold. You don't need 20 power to shoot 600 yards. I've shot up to 450 yards with a 3-9 Leupold V-II fine duplex. You can get one in 50mm for under $500. You'll need to shoot the same round every time and learn the holdover you need. Hope this helps.

Comment

Do some review research...you will be pleasantly surprised!

Snagged a Sightron for a 22-250 BDL 700
                              And snagged a Vortex for a 223 AR 15 Rock River bull barrel varminter in 20"

A Sightron SII 4.5-14X50mm scope with EXACTRACK - MSRP $499.00

or

A Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16x 42mm Side Focus for $329.00

Comment

Working...
                              X