Who's practicing from elevated stands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's practicing from elevated stands

I feel like most of my shots will be taken from an elevated position this year so I've been practicing a lot from a ladder stand at the housethat me and the neighbor put up. Do u guys practice like u hunt? Or just call it good from the ground.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I do when I can, like this 15' ladder but often I also shoot from lower tripods and even lower blinds.

However most practice is in the back yard.

I guess I deleted the pic shooting from the ladder stand. But I'm in it here.
    Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DRT; 09-04-2017, 07:37 PM.

Comment

I practice and shoot 3D shoots like I hunt. Seems like I'm the only only one at a shoot with a four arrow bow quiver with three arrows in it shooting. I shoot from the roof of the house and at various distances. You got it goin on with that ladder stand.

Comment

Not me! I don't have any elevated sets right now. Most all of my practice this time of year is sitting in a chair, and under 20yds!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

95% of my yearly practice is standing up. This month 90% is sitting in a chair. I have a few tree stands, but I live in a neighborhood and don't want THAT conversation with the neighbors or police. So I do a little bit of practice elevated at camp to remind myself to bend at the waist and not drop my bow arm.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Wish we had trees tall enough down here to do that only 6 to 8 ft tripods I don't think it's considered elevated in comparison to oak trees you guys shoot out of . I shot out of tree stand a couple times in other ranches north of here and I really enjoyed it great field of view.

Comment

In PA we had about 1/2 an acre of woods on our property so I kept a 15' ladder stand up year round. Here our 2 acre yard is bare so unless I shoot from the patio roof of our house or buy a tri-pod stand I won't be able to practice from elevation.

Comment

Here is a picture of my 3D deer from my elevated stand in the back yard and the five shots I took yesterday afternoon.[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

After I get back from Wyoming elk hunting I do about half of my practicing from a treestand, usually standing. I try to focus on the awkward shots like shooting behind the tree to my right side (I'm a right handed shooter). Getting rid of the full body harness and going to a rock climbing harness has helped a lot since I don't have that strap around the back of my head.

Comment

Ladder stand in my yard, 24/7 365. Making the switch to a rock climbing harness as well this year.

Comment

Did some this weekend but don't have any 3d targets. 20 yards was good but 30 yards needs some work! It was also good to make sure I had some trees trimmed back.

Comment

[QUOTE=So I do a little bit of practice elevated at camp to remind myself to bend at the waist and not drop my bow arm.

[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty new to bows and have the same neighborhood dilemma. What are you referring to when you say "bend at the waist and not drop my bow arm?"

Thanks.

Comment

Don't just lower your bow arm when shooting from an elevated point. Keep your bow arm at a 90 degree angle to your body and bend at your waist to get your angle down.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks DRT - I'm glad I asked, I had never heard that.

Comment

Originally posted by courtstamper View Post
                              I'm pretty new to bows and have the same neighborhood dilemma. What are you referring to when you say "bend at the waist and not drop my bow arm?"

Thanks.
                              There is a tendency for folks who shoot elevated to drop thier bow arm to get on target. This changes your sight alignment and your arrow will hit higher or lower (Can't remember which.) However when you bend at the waist, you keep your head and shoulder aligned as you would standing or sitting.

Going from standing to sitting in the ground has a similar affect as you tend to be more upright when sitting because the target is level with you.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X