Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How big can wild hogs get??

I'll make this short.

Was at the lease Sunday changing batteries on the camera. All the sudden some pigs came walking up on me. They saw me and ran off. One of the pigs in the group was at least 7 foot long and had to be around 700 pounds. He couldn't even get through the fence where the others ran. Finally he made a nose dive right through the fence and broke one of the strains of barbwire. Looked like a domestic. Kind of like a large Yorksire. He was solid tan.

So do you think he's just a domestic that got in with a group of feral hogs or is it possible for a wild hog to get that big? We have A TON of hogs on our ranch but have never taken one over 500 pounds.

What do you guys and gals think?

He might be cut. Thats how a lot of them get that big.

Comment

Most likely someone's domestic. I'd say it's pretty unlikely for a wild hog to get that large.

Comment

I bet he's not as big as your estimating but they can get very large.

Comment

That's what I figured. Looks like I'm gonna have to get in the stand and take him out.

When I saw him my jaw just dropped. My girlfriend was with me and she yells "Is that cow running with the pigs"? I just looked at her and said. "Get in the truck baby".

Comment

Originally posted by txdukklr View Post
            I bet he's not as big as your estimating but they can get very large.
            Well we used to raise hogs when I was young. Had a yorksire that was over 700 as a pet. He was just as big as her if not a little bigger.

Comment

Field biologists tell me that when he sees or hears of a "wild" hog weighing more than 200-220 pounds, he immediately suspects the animal recently escaped from a nearby farm. I have hunted them for years, from the Rolling Plains to the Rio Grande, and I have never seen one that weighed more than 210 pounds. That hog, BTW, was said to weigh 300# -- until we actually weighed it.

Comment

I killed one in August of 2010 that was right at 400. He was solid black with nice cutters. There are two people here on TBH that will confirm my story.

Comment

Most likely not wild but good eating none the less!

Comment

Billie first question is.... What were you drinking before you got there?

Sounds like an excaped or cut loose farm pig.

Comment

one way to find out...

"CHOOT EM PICKLES!!"

then get alot of good pics of his head.. see if it is an escapee or not...

Comment

Well I have been in the wild hog hunting business for almost ten years now.. Weve killed thousands of hogs and the biggest truly wild hog Ive ever had dealings with weighed 425lbs.

Now on the other hand weve had several that had alot of domestic characteristics that have weighed 5-800.

Most folks that kill these monster hogs that weigh enormous amounts do not have a set of scales.

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
                          Billie first question is.... What were you drinking before you got there?

Sounds like an excaped or cut loose farm pig.
                          LOL!!!

I was actually sober.

Yeah the more I think about it the hog did have those floppy ears like a domestic. Plus being that solid tan color. I gotta get this dude on the ground. Good thing I have my feeder barrel strapped to a tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrabbit View Post
                            one way to find out...

"CHOOT EM PICKLES!!"

then get alot of good pics of his head.. see if it is an escapee or not...
                            I tried to get to the truck and grab the 30-30. By the time I got the rifle out that's when he distroyed the fence.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                              Most likely someone's domestic. I'd say it's pretty unlikely for a wild hog to get that large.
                              I agree, i've hunted se texas for pigs for over 18yrs and i've only seen 2 over 400. 1 was a barr killed in nome by my dad when i was young....we have the picture somewhere....my gpa is 5'8" and this hog was quite a bit taller than him with is butt on the ground. The other was a sow we caught in 2009 with 2 dogs in labelle texas.....it took a honda rancher and a can-am 800 to get her back to the truck she weighed 432 on certified scales.

Comment

Working...
                              X