No announcement yet.

South Texas Hunters 2016 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I let several deer walk last year. Most were better than this one but for some reason I am the most excited about this big 8. He's been on the protein feeder every day so hopefully he will explode over the summer.

Comment

I will be heading down next weekend for a long weekend of work[emoji15]

Comment

Another 1.7" last night on top of the 3.5" we got about 10 days ago.
        This is 3rd wet spring in a row. What a great start !

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
          Another 1.7" last night on top of the 3.5" we got about 10 days ago.
          This is 3rd wet spring in a row. What a great start !
          Good good good deal.

Comment

was on this forum some years back - just signed back up - I am on a Maverick Co lease with Shaun (Sable) and we have had this place 8 years. A LFence incredible ranch that he and I are "lease bosses" - I don't consider it being a boss but just somebody who is lucky to get to hunt an incredible piece of property with awesome ranch owners and some really great friends who get what trophy management and hunting is all about. We have a few bowhunters on our place but overall just some great deer hunters. I enjoy sharing information and ideas on how to improve a deer herd. Our eight years on this place is filled with some world class bucks being harvested - much work, much patience, and much fun. We just signed a long term lease so I look forward to learning from some other STex hunters in years to come - I also enjoy sharing things that have helped us improve our lease .
            We have a shed hunt planned second week in April so will report on that

Comment

Originally posted by TKK View Post
              was on this forum some years back - just signed back up - I am on a Maverick Co lease with Shaun (Sable) and we have had this place 8 years. A LFence incredible ranch that he and I are "lease bosses" - I don't consider it being a boss but just somebody who is lucky to get to hunt an incredible piece of property with awesome ranch owners and some really great friends who get what trophy management and hunting is all about. We have a few bowhunters on our place but overall just some great deer hunters. I enjoy sharing information and ideas on how to improve a deer herd. Our eight years on this place is filled with some world class bucks being harvested - much work, much patience, and much fun. We just signed a long term lease so I look forward to learning from some other STex hunters in years to come - I also enjoy sharing things that have helped us improve our lease .
              We have a shed hunt planned second week in April so will report on that

Welcome back and keep us updated.

Comment

TKK sent you a pm

Comment

Originally posted by STXHO View Post
                  In Webb and Refugio county we put out 9 tons of peas, 16 tons of Double Down, and 10 tons of cotton seed out. Now time to grow em.

Cool where did you get the peas and cotton seed? Are you throwing the peas in a spin feeder or a free choice feeder? Thanks in advance. That 8 point is a hoss.

Comment

I moved back home for a job promotion and I boy am I glad I did. I have a house that is paid for and best thing is I live 30 minutes from our ranch in Zavala county. I hunted more this year than ever before and finally got my Pope and Young that grossed 140 +. We have received a lot of rain and I am starting to put out some cotton seed. I live in La Pryor if anyone ever needs help down this way.

Comment

I know it varies but on average when is the best time in April to shed hunt in South Texas? We have tried early April and late April - if you wait too long the critters eat them -

Comment

Where did you get the peas? 50# bags? Cost?

Comment

Another big nasty snake met it's maker....

Keep an eye out everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Sable View Post
                            Where did you get the peas? 50# bags? Cost?
                            Mummies sell them for $22ish

Comment

I think we've had 7" so far this year. Brush greening up and lots of forbs. Deer been hammering the cotton seed and about on par with protein consumption. Be down at the ranch tomorrow to top feeders off.

Comment

Dang those snakes are huge. Those are the good kind!

Comment

Working...
                                X