Progression from a .243?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bmc09 View Post
    My oldest boy is outgrowing his youth model .243. I'm gonna hand it down to his little brother and move him into a standard sized rifle. I could buy another .243, but would like to try something different. My question is this...What is the best option?? Keeping in mind, he is 11 and I would prefer to keep recoil low. Most likely not trying to shoot past 200-300 yards. Primarily for deer and hogs. Would like to be able to easily find ammunition. Also, must be a bolt gun. He hunts in the Texas youth hunt program, so no AR's
    What is your opinion?? Would a 308 with a brake be to harsh on the recoil??

Thanks
    I hate to say it 6.5 CM is the best choice for this, or 7-08. 243 is too similar to 25-06 and 6.5 grendel. 308 has significantly more recoil.

Comment

My 15 year old went from a .243 to a 7-08 Remington 700 and loves it.

Comment

260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x55, 7-08

Comment

7mm-08

Comment

At 16 yrs. of age, my son wanted a deer rifle for hunting - he was a TYHP member then, also. I bought him a Remington 783 in .308 Winchester, and that is all he has ever used for a hunting rifle (deer and hogs). He is small and wiry at 5'5" and 130 lbs., and has never had a problem with the piece. We mainly use 150 gr. Core Lokt (Remington) ammo, and he has never complained about recoil or noise. A TBH member had the same rifle on sale in the Classified section recently - cheap too.

Good luck,

Dave

Comment

My 10 year old made the jump from a 243 to a 6.5 Creedmoor. He will shoot a 308 and has shot one on many occasions. He prefers the 6.5. Its a prettier gun. He is a small 10 year old and the 6.5 he said was actually easier on him than his 243.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                25-06?
                ... yes!

Comment

I'd vote 6.5CM or 7mm-08 if you really want to change, and I understand the desire to try something new.
                  But, is there really anything wrong with the .243 for the ranges you described?

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                    I hate to say it 6.5 CM is the best choice for this, or 7-08. 243 is too similar to 25-06 and 6.5 grendel. 308 has significantly more recoil.
                    .25-06 similar?
                    recoil is quite a bit more than .243, closer to .308 and .270 than a .243

Comment

Keeping in mind, he is 11 and I would prefer to keep recoil low.
                      Thanks
                      270 with a heavier barrel could work. Recoil is not just about the caliber, but the weight of the rifle matters a lot. Matters more than you would think. For example, I bought my girlfriend a 300 win mag with a big old heavy barrel... the recoil isn't too much different from my grandpa's old pre-64 featherweight 270. Definitely not unmanageable or enough to make her flinch. The shot has to move the rifle before it hits your shoulder.

Or, like some of the others have said, 6.5 Creedmoor is a solid option. For some reason, 6.5mm seems to be a ballistic sweet spot out to longer ranges. I have a 6.5 Grendel in AR platform, and I love it. I know you said you don't expect for him to be shooting more than 200-300, but need some room to grow right?

Comment

My oldest boy is outgrowing his youth model .243. I'm gonna hand it down to his little brother and move him into a standard sized rifle. I could buy another .243, but would like to try something different. My question is this...What is the best option?? Keeping in mind, he is 11 and I would prefer to keep recoil low. Most likely not trying to shoot past 200-300 yards. Primarily for deer and hogs. Would like to be able to easily find ammunition. Also, must be a bolt gun. He hunts in the Texas youth hunt program, so no AR's
                        What is your opinion?? Would a 308 with a brake be to harsh on the recoil??

Thanks
                        just stick with the .243 in a standard size.

Comment

Both my sons shoot the 308 they are not bad Hornady makes a light magnum load in 150 grain and its is deadly

Comment

6.5 Creedmoor, 7-08 or 25-06. Or just keep him the 243.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

At 11 one of my boys was shooting 7-08 and the other a 270. Both lite weight rifles without brakes.

Comment

Had a buddy that put his 10 year old in a .308, shot reduced recoil ammo till he could work up to regular ammo. Worked well for him. Until recently I would have been on the 7mm-08 wagon, but it seems the 6.5CM has somewhat stolen the thunder. I just went to a 6.5CM myself for my light recoil gun, but will be adding a suppressor as well. Someday my grandson will have the gun. Most of the chamberings mentioned in this thread so far would not be bad choices, as would the suggestion to retain the .243.

Stu

Comment

Working...
                                X