Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to buy pressure treated deck lumber.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to buy pressure treated deck lumber.

I am looking to replace the deck boards on my backyard deck. it is 16 X 42. I think the structure is sound, just need to re-deck ... and put up a short rail to keep grand son from going over the edge. I've told his mom...he bounces good ...but she ain't buying it.

I am about 30 miles NW of Austin and figure the 2 box stores & maybe mcCoys... anyone know of a better place to get the pressure treated lumber?

I will be able to re-purpose some of the deck wood and build a deck for my lease camper.

Guess Homedepot or lowes... just will have to hand select all the lumber.

Comment

It's your call on the location. I have a theory on the raw lumber program from rebuilding after Harvey. I have tried to buy as much from my local hardware store as possible but man, they shaft me on stick lumber, hard, with no lube. I think I get all the bent sticks and full of knots.

I think the local contractors get the choice picks by the loaders and the odd guys out get the leftovers. They charge 20% for hand picking your lumber. That tells me a lot,,,

I don't like dealing with stick lumber at the big boxes but I will go do it if I need some good stuff for framing or projects. It is cheaper most of the time but such a hassle sorting it all out.

Shop the lowest price at the boxes is all I can offer. There will probably be a Labor Day sale on 5/4 Boards, 4x4 posts, 2x4 treated and fence pickets, there always is on the 3 major summer holidays.

Comment

MG had best price for Corpus, but that was a few months ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mc Coys is better lumber than HD or Lowes.
          You can also try G -Town lumber in Austin, they are usually fair priced and will deliver. 512 992 2510

Comment

I just replaced my deck boards on a 30x18 deck. I went back with a composite board like Trex. Can’t remember the brand but Mc Coys keeps two colors in stock. Mc Coys had the best price at the time. I also had to add a joist between mine because composite won’t span 2’.
            Last edited by Mertzon Man; 08-10-2018, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
              Mc Coys is better lumber than HD or Lowes.
              You can also try G -Town lumber in Austin, they are usually fair priced and will deliver. 512 992 2510
              Absolutely. You want GOOD treated lumber forget HD or Lowes. McCoys treats #1 not #2.

Comment

What dimensions? I used a 10 foot 5/4 porch board that I bought from lowe's. I put the joists on 16 centers. I have no wiggle when my big arse walks on it. I stained/seal treated them after the moisture was burned off y this God awful Texas heat.

Comment

Austin Wholesale Decking is where I would go to get my lumber. But McCoys has good lumber as well. I built decks around Austin for 20 years and these were the only 2 places I would go for bulk lumber.

Comment

McCoys

Comment

Use treated lumber it's the most "cost effective" IMO. As far as the rail for code (safety) and resale it has to be 4" or less between runners. I like 4" welded wire sandwiched in-between two boards. The reason I like welded wire. It comes in different heights and you can see though it really good. You might splurge on the railing wood/boards and use kiln dried true dimension cedar. Don't use "green" cedar it shrinks and screws up joints and "stuff". Use treated screws on everything. Me I buy all my wood at McCoy's or a real lumber yard if possible. Home De Pot & Lowers lumber usually suuuuuuuuuucks.
                      If you are not sure what I meant by true dimension (sp?) cedar. A 2x4 is a all most a 2x4. Not a 2X4 is 1 3/8 X 3 7/16.
                      By the time I typed this 2 other TBH members said McCoys.

Comment

Originally posted by Mertzon Man View Post
                        I just replaced my deck boards on a 30x18 deck. I went back with a composite board like Trex. Can’t remember the brand but Mc Coys keeps two colors in stock. Mc Coys had the best price at the time. I also had to add a joist between mine because composite won’t span 2’.
                        I thought about Trex, but geez, it is pricey. I have 2' centers for my joist.

looks like McCoys is the place to go.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                          Austin Wholesale Decking is where I would go to get my lumber. But McCoys has good lumber as well. I built decks around Austin for 20 years and these were the only 2 places I would go for bulk lumber.
                          I will look into Austin wholesale decking

Comment

Originally posted by texaspacker View Post
                            Use treated lumber it's the most "cost effective" IMO. As far as the rail for code (safety) and resale it has to be 4" or less between runners. I like 4" welded wire sandwiched in-between two boards. The reason I like welded wire. It comes in different heights and you can see though it really good. You might splurge on the railing wood/boards and use kiln dried true dimension cedar. Don't use "green" cedar it shrinks and screws up joints and "stuff". Use treated screws on everything. Me I buy all my wood at McCoy's or a real lumber yard if possible. Home De Pot & Lowers lumber usually suuuuuuuuuucks.
                            If you are not sure what I meant by true dimension (sp?) cedar. A 2x4 is a all most a 2x4. Not a 2X4 is 1 3/8 X 3 7/16.
                            By the time I typed this 2 other TBH members said McCoys.
                            i figure I will put some type of wire in between the wood. I want as little wood as possible and as low as I can ... safe for the baby and low enough to still see good. . Not worried about code...per se. Will sell in about 8 years...worry about that then

Comment

Screw Home Depot or Lowe's, go to a real lumber yard.

Comment

Working...
                              X