Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JHT View Post
    I know I have one I want a do over on.

I don't know why but I'm hung up on losing the capes and starting over fresh.

Comment

Bobcats

Comment

Just recently had a buck mounted by a taxi that came recommended by a few different folks. Havnt picked him up yet but have a pic. I’m not the best at identifying a good mount but the mount seems somewhat off to me. Friends and family say it looks great though. I’d gladly show a picture to get some of you guys honest opinions if some one would help me post the pic.

Comment

Having grown up with 2 taxidermists in the family and seeing the difference between good and bad work, I have to shake my head at some of the mounts proudly posted on forums. Some are very good, but many of them are terrible. Hate to tell folks that are happy with their trophy that it looks horrible, and I usually just congratulate them on the animal and not the mount.

A good taxidermist is a true artist that can take a bloody mess of dead flesh, fur, fins, or feathers and make it come ALIVE...not just "preserved".

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            Skilled work ain't cheap, and cheap work ain't skilled
            I hear union employees say this alot lol.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

But hey, they got them back fast and it was cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A guy by the name of Joel Estes Fd me good for my first bobcat. He took 2 buck capes a doe hide and cash and still don’t have Shiz to show for it. Sorry POS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I do not have any shoulder mounts for one basic reason. I have appreciated very few mounts and the one's I liked were WAY more expensive then I would pay to have it done. Not that the work isn't worth the extra price, I just can't justify it. All of my "special" bucks are Euro Mounted by me. That way the only person i can be upset with is myself.
                  Good Taxidermy work is rare, and maybe underappreciated.
                  My dad shot his biggest two years ago and had to have it mounted. I try not to even look at it when I go to his house...

Comment

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post
                    I hear union employees say this alot lol.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

On that case it would be skilled labor ain't cheap

Comment

Originally posted by Jcjohnson View Post
                      Just recently had a buck mounted by a taxi that came recommended by a few different folks. Havnt picked him up yet but have a pic. I’m not the best at identifying a good mount but the mount seems somewhat off to me. Friends and family say it looks great though. I’d gladly show a picture to get some of you guys honest opinions if some one would help me post the pic.
                      Let’s see it

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                        Good or bad?
                        [ATTACH]919253[/ATTACH]
                        I like that a lot...

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRanger View Post
                          I like that a lot...
                          Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Das71198 View Post
                            I think it is also a mistake to leave your antlers with the taxi before he is ready for them. I have known people to drop them off & never see them again.
                            Amen

Comment

The mounts at the big deer contest provide the full range of taxidermy skill! More bad than good! You can pick a Verrip or Palermo mount out a mile away. The attention to detail shines when side by side. The bug eyed, bullfrog looking ones are pathetic!

Comment

The eyes are what stand out the most to me. Especially on bobcats and other predators. Also the posture of the animal is something I notice. One thing that I've never understood is rattlesnakes that are coiled with their mouth wide open. A rattlesnake never does that unless it's actually striking. A water moccasin will coil up and open their mouth as a bluff to intimidate a threat. Knowing how an animal behaves in the wild and incorporating that into the mount can make or break a mount in my opinion. A lot of it is just preference too. I'd prefer a buck shoulder mount with a big neck than the thinner neck. But again that's just my preference. What looks better to me might not look as good to some which is fine. If you're happy with it that's all that matters.

I will say this, I think most importantly you get what you pay for no matter what so if you have to save up and keep something in the freezer until you can get enough money to get it done I recommend it. I've got a $300 bobcat mount that I put on the shelf in my closet. I also have an $800 grey fox mount that hangs on my wall. The difference in quality is very noticeable.
                                Last edited by okrattler; 08-09-2018, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X