No announcement yet.

Flight Shooting My Hunting Rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some years ago there were a few of us who played archery golf quite a lot.

I was shooting a 98# recurve with 605gr arrows. I did very well.

Then they changed the rules to only allow longbows, so I used a 75# longbow with 560gr arrows. Still did very well, but not quite as.

It was a lot of fun. We played for a nickel a shot, and winner take all. Group kinda fell apart after a while.

Rick

Comment

Very impressive shooting, Rick! Using a ruler and adjusting the computer screen pic size to make the 319-yard Down Wind shot equal to 5.75" makes for a bit over 55 yards per inch. Same view shows spread only 1/8" wide -- making the spread about 7 YARDS WIDE. Further means those arrows passed through a 16" imaginary hoop at 20 yards on their way to a fifth of a mile landing. Real question is: which cloud do you pick to aim at?

Comment

Thanks Ellis

I did tell my grandson there with me, that I was pleased with the line I held.

I picked a tree in the far tree line (roughly 750 yards away), and used it to line up on, then I just guesstimated the launch angle as close to 45% as I could get it.

This is a picture of the spread on the into the wind arrows looking back to ,and inline with the shooting station.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
          Some years ago there were a few of us who played archery golf quite a lot.

I was shooting a 98# recurve with 605gr arrows. I did very well.

Then they changed the rules to only allow longbows, so I used a 75# longbow with 560gr arrows. Still did very well, but not quite as.

It was a lot of fun. We played for a nickel a shot, and winner take all. Group kinda fell apart after a while.

Rick
          That sounds fun. Shoot to hole? Did you have to make it in the hole?

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
            That sounds fun. Shoot to hole? Did you have to make it in the hole?
            We had 4.5 inch diameter foam poles, that were about 4 ft tall with a fitting on the end of them to stand in the hole on the greens.

The pole had a 4.5 inch wide band around it at center, and that band was your final spot to hit. The hole if you will.

Once on the green you had to call pole, or green.

If you called pole you were only allowed to shoot at the band for 3 shots, and only then if you stuck an arrow in the pole each time.

If you missed the pole with any one of those 3 shots, you would take a 4 shot penalty, and move on to the next fairway.

If you missed the band with those 3 shots, but hit the pole each time, you would take a 3 shot penalty, and move on to the next fairway.

Oft times on large greens it was a safe call to call green, until you got closer.

Rick

EDIT for a PS:

I was at a disadvantage once on the green due to the speed & energy of my bow, which forced me to often have to short draw to keep from shooting through the pole.
            BUT, that disadvantage was generally more than made up for in how few shots it took me to get on the green.
            Last edited by RickBarbee; 03-04-2018, 06:57 PM.

Comment

We had 4.5 inch diameter foam poles, that were about 4 ft tall with a fitting on the end of them to stand in the hole on the greens.

The pole had a 4.5 inch wide band around it at center, and that band was your final spot to hit. The hole if you will.

Once on the green you had to call pole, or green.

If you called pole you were only allowed to shoot at the band for 3 shots, and only then if you stuck an arrow in the pole each time.

If you missed the pole with any one of those 3 shots, you would take a 4 shot penalty, and move on to the next fairway.

If you missed the band with those 3 shots, but hit the pole each time, you would take a 3 shot penalty, and move on to the next fairway.

Oft times on large greens it was a safe call to call green, until you got closer.

Rick

EDIT for a PS:

I was at a disadvantage once on the green due to the speed & energy of my bow, which forced me to often have to short draw to keep from shooting through the pole.
              BUT, that disadvantage was generally more than made up for in how few shots it took me to get on the green.
              Fantastic! Thanks for sharing that Rick. Archery golf sounds like a blast.

Comment

UBP uses a target. You count your "shots" and when at the green you shoot at the target. Hit the center and it's 1 shot, anywhere else on the target was 2. If you miss you have to shoot again and count the miss as a shot. So if it took you 3 to get there then you missed the bullseye but hit that target you ended up with 5 on that hole.

Comment

Fun stuff Rick. Good distance with that setup. Last summer I got 202 with my selfbow. 50# bow with 500 gr. arrow. I shot 302 yds with a borrowed flight arrow out of fifty pound bow. 20 yds short of record in the 500 gr broad head. 38 yds short in the flight class. Those records are not easy to beat I can tell ya. I think the last twenty yds or so means you got a good ride on the wind.i will be going back to the salt flats this next summer. I'm not thru with those guys yet. I can't hit quarters at twenty yds but I can build a pretty good bow and hit the earth. Arvin

Comment

Originally posted by Selfbowman View Post
                    Fun stuff Rick. Good distance with that setup. Last summer I got 202 with my selfbow. 50# bow with 500 gr. arrow. I shot 302 yds with a borrowed flight arrow out of fifty pound bow. 20 yds short of record in the 500 gr broad head. 38 yds short in the flight class. Those records are not easy to beat I can tell ya. I think the last twenty yds or so means you got a good ride on the wind.i will be going back to the salt flats this next summer. I'm not thru with those guys yet. I can't hit quarters at twenty yds but I can build a pretty good bow and hit the earth. Arvin
                    Cool stuff Arvin. I was talking to Larry Hatfield about you just yesterday.
                    You must have made an impression on him.

He was wondering if I was ever gonna hook up, and make the run to salt flats with you. Told him I sure hope to some day when I can.

Rick

Comment

Cool stuff Arvin. I was talking to Larry Hatfield about you just yesterday.
                      You must have made an impression on him.

He was wondering if I was ever gonna hook up, and make the run to salt flats with you. Told him I sure hope to some day when I can.

Rick
                      Rick I wish you would. You would love the flight stuff the way you are always thinking out side of the box. You and Arvin always trying to make a better mouse trap. I will say this about Larry he is the most interesting man that I have ever met. I know quite a few but none like Larry. I spent three days talking with him while not shooting. Don't know how well you know the man but love to share about some of his life with you sometime. Arvin

Comment

I've never met Larry face to face (would absolutely love too), but I have known, and been in contact with him via other means for many years.

Have had many interesting conversations with him over the years.

Yes, he is interesting, extremely knowledgeable about archery & bowhunting (among many other things), and he's a hoot to boot.

To be quite honest, I often listen to him more like I would my Granddad, and even though our political & religious views are sometimes different (often quite different), he still mesmerizes with his calm common sense approach to things.

Yep. I'd sure love to meat him someday.
                        I've got a big old Texas Hug reserved for him, whether he wants it or not.

Rick

Comment

I gave him and others that hug. You get out of west Tx and people just don't understand the hugs. They never missed seeing a neighbor for some days. Their back yard is not Tx. Yes a west Tx . hug is one of a kind. Arvin

Comment

Working...
                          X