What Happened To My Scope?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
    Y’all that think it’s coating, how could it happen “all of the sudden” and to the extent described?
    If the coating isn't exactly the same thickness throughout the entire surface on the inside surface of the rings you torque the rings down on the high spots not the whole surface as intended. over time and being subjected to recoil and vibration of handling and hauling plus gravity pulling down on the scope at some time sitting there it gave way and slid. I may be totally off but

1 Scope moved
    2 scope was torqued to spec
    3 have coating residue on scope
    4 now can torque rings down on scope but until cleaned out have coating residue that needs to be cleaned out or torqueing on moving matter.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
      That is a marketing statement not actual fact. Just like rifle barrels, the first one cut is usually much tighter to spec than the last before changing tooling. Maybe yours was at the end of a tooling set. EVERY set of Talleys I have done looks like the one in the picture the other fellow posted, at best 20% contact. Clearly any explanation, other than a haunted safe, you disagree with so most of us that are trying to help are at a loss.

Good luck with your issue. I hope you get it worked out and back to shooting soon.

Sierracharlie out…
      I get what you're saying, & I am appreciative of the input, but I'm not lapping a set of $200 rings when the manufacturer says it deosn't need to be done AND they'll void the warranty if I do.
      Having said that, I'm thinking the coating is the culprit (which would be fixed if lapped but again, read above). I've never owned coated rings & I've never had this happen before so the coating is the only common denominator here.
      Talley has been great & mailed out a new set yesterday (same day I contacted them). I'll contact them again prior to installing them about the coating & about lapping, especially due to the coating. I will keep this post up to date as things evolve.

***ETA***
      I just emailed Talley again w/this:
      "Everyone I've discussed this with has had 2 opinions:
      1) the rings need to be lapped
      2) the coating is the issue

I see y'all advice against lapping, & void the warranty if done, but what about the rings w/the coating? Surely it can't be applied 100% perfect thickness, or can it?

I'll get these back to y'all quickly so y'all can check on your end what possibly went on. I'm going to put my micrometer on these & check the thickness thoroughly & do the new set as well prior to installation."

I'll let y'all know what they say!
      Last edited by LFD2037; 11-28-2017, 11:19 AM.

Comment

I’ve never lapped a set of rings and I have several rifles that shoot 1/4-1/2”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

Neither have I & they've all shot MOA @ worst, 1/2 MOA @ best. This gun shot a 1.75" group @ 200yds prior to this happening & I was still breaking it in/ finding exact ammo it liked & it was getting better each outing.

Comment

I wonder if you received mis-labeled 35mm rings
            Last edited by bowpro12; 11-28-2017, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bowpro12 View Post
              I wonder if you received mid-labeled 35mm rings
              Would they have even tightened initially if they were 1mm too big?

Comment

I think they would. I have the same scope on two different rifles, there is enough gap between the upper/lower mating surfaces to close 1mm.

I would be curious how much gap there is on yours between the mating surfaces (each side of scope).

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

But what could it possibly hurt?

Comment

Found the issue. The dang rings broke in half!!!! This is just insane. It appears it's a design flaw. The rail mount pushes into the bottom of the ring and causes an unexpected upward force that it appears the ring couldn't handle. I'm at a loss here.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0110.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	24521686

Name:	IMG_0111.jpg
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	24521687

Name:	IMG_0112.jpg
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	24521688

Name:	IMG_0113.jpg
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	24521689

Name:	IMG_0114.jpg
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	24521690

Comment

Well there's your problem alright!
                      Dang.

Comment

Am I the only one that thinks this does NOT look like billet aluminum?

Comment

Hard to say due to coating and angle of break. Those 40$ lightweights are looking pretty good now! At least you know what it is.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I believe if they were billet then they would've bent not broke. I believe they are cast even though they tout them as billet.

Comment

The only upside:
                              looking @ the ring marks from the paint that transferred onto the scope, it had full ring contact except for where the top & bottom of the rings mated. I'd estimate ~95% contact.

Comment

That square corner on the side clamp pocket is a weak design, it provided a shear point for the ring. I would get your scope checked out as well, that may have bent the tube and may not be noticeable yet. The reason I say that is I doubt both mounts busted at the same time which could have put the scope in a bind. I would also tell Talley your scope may be damaged from the busted mounts.
                                Last edited by Radar; 11-28-2017, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X