Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening to whenever. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

How do you cook deer heart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BertramBass View Post
    Slice it 1/4 inch. Fry it in olive oil in a hot skillet with salt and pepper. Yum. Do not over cook it.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just like this....Simplistically beautiful

Comment

If your wanting to try heart just as heart meat, fry or tacos. If you want to use it in something, you can make pate with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chasing_bone View Post
        What the best way to clean it? I used my finger and got all of the coagulated blood out when I cut it out. Anything I should cut out and not eat? By the way I'm totally trying the tacos.
        Cut out any parts that don't look like smooth dark red meat. Anything white or gray or hard, cut it out and toss it.

Slice the rest thin, flour lightly and pan fry in bacon grease. Cook medium, then store in a 250 degree oven while you make the gravy.

Gravy= same pan used to fry the hearts, swirl in some beef broth and break up the brown bits from the frying. Heat on medium until it starts to thicken up. Add more stock if need to make it look like gravy. Salt lightly, finish salt at the table.

Add the hearts back into the gravy to warm them up a little. Serve over rice or mashed spuds, or with crusty bread.

Comment

I prefer cleaning, Olive Oil, salt, pepper and sliced thin. Grill in hot skillet until rare/medium rare and then top with minced shallot, lemon juice and oregano.

Charred Venison Heart with Field Sauce
          Olive oil
          Salt/Pepper
          Lemon juice
          Minced shallot
          Minced fresh oregano

Mix ingredients to make sauce and set aside. Prepare heart by washing and trimming away any remaining fat, valves, and connective tissue. Butterfly by splitting open lengthwise and flatten.
          Season venison heart with olive oil, salt, & pepper and char over very hot fire for approximately 3 minutes on one side. Flip and sear venison heart for approximately 2 minutes. Rest for 7-8 minutes. Pour sauce over heart and rest 2-3 more minutes. Slice thin and serve immediately.

or this:

Venison Bruschetta
          10 small fresh venison heart slices, about 4 to 6 ounces total.
          1 charred red pepper
          4 slices charred red onion
          ¼ cup robust olive oil (NOT extra virgin)
          ¼ cup fresh chervil
          2 cup watercress
          8 oz. softened goat cheese with minced chives
          balsamic vinegar, to taste
          Baguette

Bruschetta Drizzle and Marinade
          2 tbs. whole seed rustic mustard
          2 tbs. dijon Mustard
          1 tbs minced Shallot
          1 tbs minced chives
          2 tbs. champagne vinegar
          2 tsp. honey
          1/4 cup olive oil (not virgin or extra virgin)

Divide marinade into 2 portions. Marinate venison. Char pepper, onion and baguette slices. Spread softened goat cheese on baguette and set aside. Skin and seed pepper, julienne both pepper and onion and then coarse chop and mix together. Cook venison slices for 45 seconds to 1 minute, flip and cook for same time in cast iron skillet. Remove venison, immediately drizzle with marinade and let rest 5 minutes. Add heart to baguette, top with pepper and onion mix, plate and add watercress, chives, marinade and balsamic.

Comment

Thanks everybody for all of the suggestions. If it goes good the first time I will try some of the other suggestions.

Comment

I cut it in half long ways and cut out everything that's white. Slice it up and then fry it up. Don't overcook it.

Comment

I really like mine cleaned, sliced thin, seasoned and cooked right over mesquire. Man its good! Really good cooked like that then in corn tortilla and pico de gallo. MMMM

Comment

Yeah and cut off all the white fat too. When it cools its waxy and not good for your heart either. Ironic..

Comment

Originally posted by BuckRage View Post
                    Yeah and cut off all the white fat too. When it cools its waxy and not good for your heart either. Ironic..

LMAO.....it sure is.

Comment

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
                        Clean out all the ventricles and stuff and then slice it fairly thin. Then either grill super hot or you can bread and fry. I've also chopped it up into little pieces and cooked with taco seasoning and made some pretty good tacos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to give you a big thank you. I did not have any shells so I made a taco salad. It was ridiculously good. I’ll definitely be making it in the future.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Tried it after aging for 7 days, cutting off the hard parts, sprinkles dillo dust and friend in olive oil.

My oldest insists on helping slice the heart and prepare for cooking.

He ate most of it himself.

I need some new ideas. A good marinade to soak in for a day or two.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                              That’s how I feel after 10 minutes in the tree after 3 cups of coffee

I know that feeling... reminds me of regretting late night Taco Bell the next day

Comment

I like it cooked rare mixed in with my eggs for breakfast. Season with Ragin Blaze!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X