No announcement yet.

Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forgot to apply this year... I shot 2 doe last year. Good Luck!

Comment

Confirmed. Just got the email. The wife and I drew Unit 3 (closest one to our house) for December 13-15th.

If anybody has any input on this hunt, please let me know. PM or here.

Thanks,

Dan

Comment

i drew unit 1 dec 13-15.
        wife drew unit 3 dec 6-8.

gonna google maps and see if i can get any info on it.

anyone hunt these untis before?

Comment

My daughter got drawn for Nov 15-17 Youth hunt, Unit 7. I guess there will be several other hunters in there, it is 3645 acres.

Comment

Here is the flier for this year:
            http://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/BC%...2013%20(2).pdf

Comment

I used to work out at the refuge. PM me if you want any input about your units.

Comment

I drew a permit for this hunt years ago when I lived in Austin. I had a buddy living in Dallas and encouraged him to enter and, lo and behold, he got drawn as well. He and I drew different areas but I scouted early and found a few good places to hunt. He didn't show up til about 9 the night before the hunt and of course wanted to go out and see some of the Austin nightlife.

I will share this secret only to members of the green screen:

The secret to success at Balcones is apparently staying up too late, oversleeping, and hauling tail to your area 15 minutes after the sun comes up.
                I couldn't get to my area as I was still half asleep, maybe even a little hungover, and I didn't want to disturb anyone else so I said to heck with it, parked the truck and walked about 100 yards to a grassy clearing. There was a light drizzle and I had just about dozed off when I heard a deer stamp his foot which woke me up. He was at 40 yards, had me pinned down (my rifle was leaning against the bush behind me) but finally snorted and took off. I figured he'd circle to get a better look, which he did, and I had my rifle and anchored him. Smallest spike I've ever seen; 1 armed him into the truck bed and off I go.

The rangers and I were laughing about me being last in and first out and the deer weighed a whopping 72 lbs. I think we pretty much ate him that weekend.

It's a beautiful area and Good Luck all for a successful hunt!

Comment

Hey Dave my name is mark. A buddy and i got drawn for the Dec13-15 th hunt in unit 4. We have never been to this refuge and don't know much about it. Any info you could give us would be much appreciated like the bet way to hunt that area and places to stay. Thanks again. Mark

Comment

Typically, just find a place with a good view and stay away from the roads. As far as places to stay. There are some LCRA campsites near the refuge on lake travis, but I know in the past people had issues with bringing guns into the campground. Otherwise, you can stay in marble falls, cedar park, or bertram. No camping on the refuge.

Comment

dang i just got an email, I lost.

Good luck to all who won!

Comment

Dave,

Tried to PM you, but I'm too much of a newby (not enough posts). Any input on Unit 3 in particular is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Comment

My 12 year old and I drew Unit #8 Dec 6 thru 8. notice was an e-mail. payment made minutes later. All set. Must first shoot a hog or doe/spike and then you get a buck tag.

Comment

Originally posted by clark98ut View Post
                            Dave,

Tried to PM you, but I'm too much of a newby (not enough posts). Any input on Unit 3 in particular is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan
                            I tried to PM you, did that work?

Comment

Originally posted by viper3853 View Post
                              i drew unit 1 dec 13-15.
                              wife drew unit 3 dec 6-8.

gonna google maps and see if i can get any info on it.

anyone hunt these untis before?
                              Did you get my reply? I couldnt tell if it went through.

Comment

Got it, but I can't reply Dave. Could you PM me your email address and I'll shoot you an email?

Thanks,

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X