6.5 Creedmoor DO NOT BUY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hunter_Man View Post
    so my son shot his first buck this weekend with his new ruger 6.5 creedmoor. used the 125 gr deer xp ammo from academy as I didn't have any brass to work a load up yet with. the gun is a friggin tack driver for sure, but he shot a young 2.5 yr old 10 pt with a banged up hoof opening day. 75 yd shot and double lung, and there was almost NO blood. tiny entrance and exit hole just barely the size of the projectile, and it hit a rib going in and out. Luckily the deer only went about 50 yds, and we stumbled upon it fast, as the blood trail stopped literally feet from the feeder. now, I'm not blaming it on the caliber of the gun, but that deer XP bullet left something to be desired for sure.
    I could see that. I have had the same thing happen with that Winchester ammo but in a different caliber. Did yall gut it and look and the damage to the lungs and diaphragm area?
    Me personally regardless of the caliber I like to stick with the heaviest bullet that shoots well out of the rifle I am using.
    Last edited by DuramaxDude; 11-09-2017, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DuramaxDude View Post
      I could see that. I have had the same thing happen with that Winchester ammo but in a different caliber. Did yall gut it and look and the damage to the lungs and diaphragm area?
      yessir we sure did. that's how we found that the bullet had broke a rib on either side of him... lungs were messed up and deer bled out into his chest cavity. missed the diaphragm... I was just surprised by the entrance and exit would holes. literally the size of a pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter_Man View Post
        yessir we sure did. that's how we found that the bullet had broke a rib on either side of him... lungs were messed up and deer bled out into his chest cavity. missed the diaphragm... I was just surprised by the entrance and exit would holes. literally the size of a pencil.
        Hmmm cool deal. Would be cool to see what a 129gr SST or 143 ELD-X or something would do in the same situation.

Comment

Dang to late haha guess I'll just have to hope for the best

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
            Dang to late haha guess I'll just have to hope for the best

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
            eewww That's a Hells Canyon isn't it??? Drool!!!

Comment

You won't regret that purchase.

Comment

I'm a 260 lover and just snagged a 65x284 but may have to re-barrel my savage to a Creed. You guys are slowly convincing me.

It would make a nice suppressor rifle in an 18" Bartlein RV profile...

Op, as always great video work.

Comment

6.5 Creedmoor DO NOT BUY

I am sick as hell of hearing about the 6.5 Creedmore....[emoji51]

.260 and .264 mag have been around forever...this is really nothing new.[emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by Dale Moser; 11-09-2017, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Should have mine in my hands this weekend... it looks like this except with a 22” barrel, an SWFA 3-15 scope and wearing a AAC-SD 762-SDN-6 suppressor .

Tikka T3 action with MDT 0 MOA rail
                    21.7" Criterion 6.5 Creedmoor stainless barrel, KRG X-Ray chassis with MDT mags

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      I am sick as hell of hearing about the 6.5 Creedmore....

.260 and .264 mag have been around forever...this is really nothing new.

The 260 hasn't been around that long and it's another example of remington being a terrible marketing company. The creed targeted the bench rest guys, set records, and worked with Ruger/Savage to offer bench rest accuracy in cheap rifles with factory ammo. It left the 260 in the dust! It's not the 1st time (probably not the last) they've been forward thinking but failed to capitalize on it!

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                        I'm a 260 lover and just snagged a 65x284 but may have to re-barrel my savage to a Creed. You guys are slowly convincing me.

It would make a nice suppressor rifle in an 18" Bartlein RV profile...

Op, as always great video work.
                        If I would have bought my 6.5 Creed 1st, I wouldn't own a 6.5x284. My 6.5x284 is only 90 fps faster (120gr bullets), with 10gr more powder, has significantly more recoil and the accuracy is about the same between my 2 rifles. I'm sure the 284 will widen the gap with heavier bullets but the recoil will increase as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DuramaxDude View Post
                          Hmmm cool deal. Would be cool to see what a 129gr SST or 143 ELD-X or something would do in the same situation.
                          I've killed several animals from hogs, whitetail to oryx and elk with my 6.5CM. The 143 ELD-X works great, especially on the bigger animals. I've seen several instances on Texas whitetail where that bullet killed the deer but minimal blood trail, etc. I'm actually about to grab a box of the 129 SST for a trip next weekend to see how they perform on Texas WT and hogs. If you're hunting bigger animals, you can't go wrong with the ELD-X.

I'm also glad to see this issue with the Winchester XP brought up before that hunt. I was going to take my .243 as well and have it sighted in with that ammo. I think I'll grab a box of the SST's for it as well. I've got a buddy that just shot a buck with that .243 SST and said the inside looked like a bomb went off

Comment

Originally posted by TCB View Post
                            I've killed several animals from hogs, whitetail to oryx and elk with my 6.5CM. The 143 ELD-X works great, especially on the bigger animals. I've seen several instances on Texas whitetail where that bullet killed the deer but minimal blood trail, etc. I'm actually about to grab a box of the 129 SST for a trip next weekend to see how they perform on Texas WT and hogs. If you're hunting bigger animals, you can't go wrong with the ELD-X.

I'm also glad to see this issue with the Winchester XP brought up before that hunt. I was going to take my .243 as well and have it sighted in with that ammo. I think I'll grab a box of the SST's for it as well. I've got a buddy that just shot a buck with that .243 SST and said the inside looked like a bomb went off
                            I have seen some videos from the Best of the West guys and others using the 6.5mm 143gr ELD-X on deer to moose at some really long ranges with awesome results.

Comment

Originally posted by B&C View Post
                              If I would have bought my 6.5 Creed 1st, I wouldn't own a 6.5x284. My 6.5x284 is only 90 fps faster (120gr bullets), with 10gr more powder, has significantly more recoil and the accuracy is about the same between my 2 rifles. I'm sure the 284 will widen the gap with heavier bullets but the recoil will increase as well.
                              I hear ya, I picked up a trued savage 116 with a 26 inch Bartlein. It should be a long range hammer with the 140-147 ELD's.

I'd like the Creed in an 18 inch barrel with the suppressor as most of my shots are under 300 yards. It would be a great every day blind rifle but still a fun long range plinker.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                                I am sick as hell of hearing about the 6.5 Creedmore....[emoji51]

.260 and .264 mag have been around forever...this is really nothing new.[emoji1360]

I was really considering the .264... but talking to my buddy, who builds them, I had some criteria I needed met.
                                - had to have as little recoil as possible because the wife (and eventually kids) would also be shooting/hunting with it periodically
                                - I wanted ammo to be some what affordable and somewhat easily available (if needed) since I don’t currently have the time to reload.

and there was some other reasons, but I don’t remember what they were now.

Comment

Working...
                                X